Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA's Stance On Microtransactions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA's Stance On Microtransactions

SirRobin
08.01.2012 , 11:50 AM | #21
My main issue with F2P is not microtransactions themselves. It can be done well. My problem is with the mindset of the one in charge. It does not impress.

IasonEvan
08.01.2012 , 11:57 AM | #22
The only company I trust with a F2P model is ArenaNet and what they have done with GW1. There store has been cosmetic and convenience for years. Never has it strayed from that. They have the same model with GW2 and they will stick to their guns with cosmetics and convenience because they always have. The thing I am stoked about with this game is that I will never have to pay a dime for it again as long as I live. I started playing this game for the stories that I liked in KOTOR. This game's best part is the story lines. I will hop back into this game 6 months after playing GW2 and I will play it like i play KOTOR 1 and 2 every year, and then I will put it down and play something else.

There is a weird thing with MMO's that makes us think we have to play them for years on end. we don't. This game was not designed to be played for years on end and maybe that is the problem.

Katsuragisama
08.01.2012 , 11:59 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
My main issue with F2P is not microtransactions themselves. It can be done well. My problem is with the mindset of the one in charge. It does not impress.
Quote: Originally Posted by IasonEvan View Post
The only company I trust with a F2P model is ArenaNet and what they have done with GW1. Their store has been cosmetic and convenience for years. [...]
This. I don't mind microtransactions, especially if I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the game, and the CS stays Pay2Pretty only. I already didnt trust EA, but this just cemented that as a fact. Well done OP. I also quoted that, and posted a link on GameFAQs, in hopes others will see it, and spread it around. Just trying to help out EA.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

mightylawngnome
08.01.2012 , 12:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
LOL.. you guys are hilarious.

There is absolutely no support for what you are saying in the context of an MMO, but I am entertained.
It absolutely boggles my mind that you can have audio of the CEO in charge of the game we're playing and discussing (if you can call majority of what happens on these forums "discussion"), and you can claim it has no relevance to the situation and laugh it off.

I'm not positive where all this will end up, but to act as if there's no valid reason for concern is astounding.

"Honey, HONEY WAKE UP! There's a man outside our bedroom window with a hockey mask an a knife!"

"Go back to bed woman, there's no evidence he's going to come in here..."
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging." ~ EA CEO John Riccitiello http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

Staavis_SC
08.01.2012 , 12:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by mightylawngnome View Post

"honey, honey wake up! There's a man outside our bedroom window with a hockey mask an a knife!"

"go back to bed woman, there's no evidence he's going to come in here..."
roflmao!!!! :d
Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we're gonna be okay.

Achromatis
08.01.2012 , 12:17 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
This x100. Its not F2P or micros were worried about... the thing to worry over is that its EA in charge of it.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

SweetNausea
08.01.2012 , 12:24 PM | #27
Well, that bodes well!

Just kidding.

Sauska
08.01.2012 , 12:26 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Yep, I can see it.

You get to that final door before the last boss in the raid. Everyone clicks on the door and gets a $ over their head. The game opens up a dialog asking you for $1 to continue the raid...

Definitely possible in this game's future.
Rofl, I can picture that as well. Awesome, and so utterly utterly sad, sigh.
The Borealis Legacy

NilanVoid
08.01.2012 , 12:28 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by mightylawngnome View Post
It absolutely boggles my mind that you can have audio of the CEO in charge of the game we're playing and discussing (if you can call majority of what happens on these forums "discussion"), and you can claim it has no relevance to the situation and laugh it off.

I'm not positive where all this will end up, but to act as if there's no valid reason for concern is astounding.

"Honey, HONEY WAKE UP! There's a man outside our bedroom window with a hockey mask an a knife!"

"Go back to bed woman, there's no evidence he's going to come in here..."
LOL...Your response totally WTFPwnd Andryah.
+1000 internetz for you

Cymate
08.01.2012 , 12:42 PM | #30
Total lack of morality = Profit efficiency at its best.