Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Powertech Threat Drop


bbare's Avatar


bbare
08.01.2012 , 09:14 AM | #1
Tell me if this makes sense. Powertechs are one of the most viable end-game pve dps in the game. Their biggest strength is the ability for massive burst. So why the hell would bioware neglect to give them some sort of threat drop? I should not have to literally delay my dps at the start of the fight so the tank can build enough threat to hold me with a guard. Often times I don't even pop my offensive cd's and pull off the tank at the start of the fight and this is with a guard on me. This does happen more often when I'm with lower geared tanks, but I pulled off my guildie tank numerous times. I wondered if the tank wasn't pulling adequate threat numbers but his threat meter indicated he was pulling ~2k threat at the time of my pull. Powertechs are the only class in the game that actually have to slow their dps down at the start of the fight so the tanks can hold their threat. Even Marauders, the highest dps in the game don't really have aggro problems because of their camo.

My idea for a powertech threat drop is simple. Make TSO for the pyro reduce the threat from the next few abilities or so. That would give powertechs the necessary threat drop they need.

LordExozone's Avatar


LordExozone
08.01.2012 , 09:21 AM | #2
You mean you have to think about the fight rather than just mindlessly spamming your rotation? Oh no.

I didn't mean that as a jab at you, but holding back at the start of a fight so the tank can grab aggro is just a bit common sense. There is nothing wrong with having to do that, just adds some amount of skill/use of brain to the class (a class which is pretty easy to play even with having to pay attention to your threat).

That said, the threat drop ability you are suggesting itself would be nice to have, as without threat meters it can be hard to anticipate when to hold back and when to go all out. I've had situations where I'd pull the boss from the tank halfway through the fight which is something you just have no way of knowing is going to happen. An "oh ****" button would be nice to have in such a case.

But holding back at the start to allow the tank to build up aggro really is something universal to MMO's.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

CitizenFry's Avatar


CitizenFry
08.01.2012 , 09:40 AM | #3
As a tank main, I would much rather you unload everything at the start of the fight, so I can taunt one time and be guaranteed to be ahead of you on threat for the rest of the fight. It's the start of the fight, you should be at full HP and thus able to take a hit, right?
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

bbare's Avatar


bbare
08.01.2012 , 09:43 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by LordExozone View Post
You mean you have to think about the fight rather than just mindlessly spamming your rotation? Oh no.

I didn't mean that as a jab at you, but holding back at the start of a fight so the tank can grab aggro is just a bit common sense. There is nothing wrong with having to do that, just adds some amount of skill/use of brain to the class (a class which is pretty easy to play even with having to pay attention to your threat).

That said, the threat drop ability you are suggesting itself would be nice to have, as without threat meters it can be hard to anticipate when to hold back and when to go all out. I've had situations where I'd pull the boss from the tank halfway through the fight which is something you just have no way of knowing is going to happen. An "oh ****" button would be nice to have in such a case.

But holding back at the start to allow the tank to build up aggro really is something universal to MMO's.
Holding back is not necessary for any class other than the powertech. Every other good dps class has a threat drop they can throw in to make it impossible to pull. Either they give powertechs a threat drop or they eliminate all other threat drops. It is asinine for Bioware to neglect a threat drop to a class with the most front-loaded dps in the game, especially without adequate threat meters. I shouldn't have to neglect to use my proc'd rail shots on bombers in HM EC at the chance I may pull and almost die.

bbare's Avatar


bbare
08.01.2012 , 09:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CitizenFry View Post
As a tank main, I would much rather you unload everything at the start of the fight, so I can taunt one time and be guaranteed to be ahead of you on threat for the rest of the fight. It's the start of the fight, you should be at full HP and thus able to take a hit, right?
So what you are saying is that it is best to have the dps take shots to the face or whatever so the tank can adequately hold threat? I'm pretty sure it isn't the dps's job to take hits for the tank unless there is a certain mechanic involved (ie. DD)

Rischardo's Avatar


Rischardo
08.01.2012 , 06:05 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Holding back is not necessary for any class other than the powertech. Every other good dps class has a threat drop they can throw in to make it impossible to pull. Either they give powertechs a threat drop or they eliminate all other threat drops. It is asinine for Bioware to neglect a threat drop to a class with the most front-loaded dps in the game, especially without adequate threat meters. I shouldn't have to neglect to use my proc'd rail shots on bombers in HM EC at the chance I may pull and almost die.
I agree with this. My other raiding toon is a Sniper and I don't really have to hold back because I know when I tend to pull aggro and thus know the best time to use my aggro drop. This allows me to aggressively open up without (too much) worry about pulling aggro.

Part of being a skilled DPS is knowing your class and rotation well enough that you know the optimal time to use your aggro drop. PT DPS is already one of the more simple specs to play; having an aggro drop would give us one more thing to keep track of and not only make it better for the raid, but a tad more fun to play.

CitizenFry's Avatar


CitizenFry
08.02.2012 , 09:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
So what you are saying is that it is best to have the dps take shots to the face or whatever so the tank can adequately hold threat? I'm pretty sure it isn't the dps's job to take hits for the tank unless there is a certain mechanic involved (ie. DD)
I'm saying if it's inevitable that you're going to pull aggro off the tank, it's better to do it with gusto at the start of the fight, when everyone's fresh, rather than 30s in, when there's probably other stuff going on. Or worse, pulling slightly at the start of the fight, making me use my taunt, and THEN going all-out and re-pulling aggro.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

vojinsa's Avatar


vojinsa
08.02.2012 , 10:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
So what you are saying is that it is best to have the dps take shots to the face or whatever so the tank can adequately hold threat? I'm pretty sure it isn't the dps's job to take hits for the tank unless there is a certain mechanic involved (ie. DD)
everyone takes it in the face.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

midnitemonster's Avatar


midnitemonster
08.03.2012 , 07:27 AM | #9
None of the tank AC's have a threat drop. What fights in particular are you having a problem with? I main tank for HM EC and rarely have a problem with the PT's agro.
"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."

Varye's Avatar


Varye
08.04.2012 , 08:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by midnitemonster View Post
None of the tank AC's have a threat drop. What fights in particular are you having a problem with? I main tank for HM EC and rarely have a problem with the PT's agro.
Guardians have one on a 45 sec cd and Shadows have vanish, 3 min.
On the other hand, handling your threat is part of the dps spot in raid, and keeping aggro in this game is already way to easy.