Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware needs to seriously address Class Balance Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware needs to seriously address Class Balance Issues

Quor
08.01.2012 , 07:24 PM | #21
Mittens, is that you?!
Will interrogate for food.

Quor
08.01.2012 , 07:32 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrellJonez View Post
It does apply a stun since you can't take any action while they leap to you. classified or not.

YOUR deffinition is different because you like that YOU can do it. If i wanted to be OP i'd roll a marauder and pretend Awe isn't overpowered for pvp.

Dude one to one, your only defending it because A.) you use it and hate to have to re-roll to the next FOTM. B.) you think i'm your friend because i'm actually speaking to you. (btw i'm not, and i can smell a troll)

Back on topic, without a class balance BEFORE the F2P goes live, people may come back, but would you stay if everything that drove you away is still there?

Fix the Marauder leap. Put it on resolve.
Leap is not a stun. A stun means you can't take any action AND can be damaged while under its effect and it won't break. This is stuff like Backhand, Electrocute, Force Stun, and Dirty Kick.

Leap is a root, which is viewed as a 100% snare. It prevents movement, but doesn't disable any other abilities. So a Sorc can still Overload, or a Commando can Concussive Charge, or a Sniper can Cover Pulse. Any ability can be used as long as it doesn't involve some kind of auto-movement (in this case, Charge/Leap/Jet Boost/Storm would qualify, meaning none of those skills would be useable while the person who can use them is rooted. Zealous Leap and Obliterate would also qualify).

Secondly, and this is brief, but Awe is classified as a mezz, just like Flashbang. It breaks on any damage (including DoT damage) and lasts for six seconds (unlike Flashbang, which lasts for eight).

Thirdly, putting roots on resolve would slightly nerf some parts of Carnage/Combat specs, but completely buff the crap out of Rage/Focus and Annihilation/Watchman, because it would mean that a Mara or Sent with full resolve could not be stopped for ten seconds. Sure, they couldn't leap to someone and root them, but they all have a native snare, and any Mara or Sent worth the name keeps his target snared 100% of the time. The only reliable way currently to ensure Mara's and Sent's don't have their way with every other class is via rooting and snaring. If you thought there was QQ now, there would be a tsunami of tears if they added roots to resolve. The idiots would trumpet it as a huge victory, while the Mara's and Sent's would rampage across WZ's like nothing seen before.
Will interrogate for food.

Caeliux
08.01.2012 , 07:35 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
This is not a QQ thread.
I beg to differ.

PS. Wall of text over 9000!

Darpvaida
08.01.2012 , 07:55 PM | #24
unfortunately the only people either reading these forums or interested in investing time or effort to improve this game are the players..
Bioware has left the building.
please feel free to spend your 15 bucks a month, they will take what they can get.
RAIGE / DALBORRA.
DARP/DALBORRA

Archaar
08.01.2012 , 08:27 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darpvaida View Post
unfortunately the only people either reading these forums or interested in investing time or effort to improve this game are the players..
Bioware has left the building.
please feel free to spend your 15 bucks a month, they will take what we can get.
This pretty much. They have stuck their heads in the sand... In contrast GW2 beta forums are full of dev comments and replies, they even were talking to me an others in one of my posts about some of the elementalist signets. How nice to actually see a presence from the dev team, but also get to speak to them.
CYRUS-MASHUP-VODOOMASH
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

uncle_monty
08.01.2012 , 08:55 PM | #26
We have somewhat lost the point(s) that the opening poster was making:-

To quote:-

"It's on this issue that I really want BW to chime in more than any other. I'm fine that not all classes are created equal in all situations. I'm fine if each happens to excel in a certain situation over the other ACs and if balance is approached from that perspective because I honestly think the game becomes more interesting. Chess is more interesting than checkers because there are different pieces that do different things, whereas in checkers every piece does the same thing (I realize this isn't the best analogy since technically queen is OP, but every analogy breaks down eventually. Use it for what it is). But I want BW to state plainly and for the record what their vision for each class, and while I'm talking crazy I'll shoot for the moon and say each SPEC, is"

There are a variety of reasons (see the post that is entitled 'This is what I see when I read the forums' or somthing similar) why this just will not happen. Lets consider the facts::--

1. The game has been nerfed continually since January.
2. Some classes have been nerfed since January.
3. The game...
ETC

The game playing public will take such information and just attempt to use it as justification for their own poor play. For example if Bioware say that the Sage seer should be hitting the big numbers in healing whilst the Smuggler tops up and does the stealthy bits, and Player 'A' can't hit more than 60k healing with his Sage then the game is wrong and not working etc.

This is what has frunstrated me most in my second experience of playing an MMORPG. In my opinion the companies listen too much to their customers rather than the opposite. I think SWTOR was a better game in January than July.

Thanks for starting this post and at least trying to raise the level of conversation above a continual cry for nerfs to something interesting, calm, and measured.
"You now understand why an exotic weapon or unfamiliar style will be more difficult to defend against, but until you become an expert in a particular style, in the heat of combat your mind will still struggle to grasp it's limitations."
Dark Lord Kas'im - Darth Bane 1 Path of Destruction

Darpvaida
08.01.2012 , 09:39 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by uncle_monty View Post
This is what has frunstrated me most in my second experience of playing an MMORPG. In my opinion the companies listen too much to their customers rather than the opposite. I think SWTOR was a better game in January than July..

exactly, instead of letting the player base settle into the game before swinging the nerf bat around they listened to the QQers far too early on and mucked up what was IMHO a pretty balanced game.
Now it appears these changes should be reverted yet no action has even been mentioned they are looking into.

which is the biggest issue and the reason GW2 is appealing to many, players will accept bugs, issues that require attention with communications from devs that they are working to give us a possibly great game to look forward to playing in a year from now..

But as i said above, the lights are on but no one is there to listen or respond.
RAIGE / DALBORRA.
DARP/DALBORRA

Mularky
08.01.2012 , 10:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by PowerReaper View Post
More QQING L2P
Look who it is the guy who replies to every single thread trying to defend his class

Derian
08.02.2012 , 01:04 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrellJonez View Post
It does apply a stun since you can't take any action while they leap to you. classified or not.

YOUR deffinition is different because you like that YOU can do it. If i wanted to be OP i'd roll a marauder and pretend Awe isn't overpowered for pvp.

Dude one to one, your only defending it because A.) you use it and hate to have to re-roll to the next FOTM. B.) you think i'm your friend because i'm actually speaking to you. (btw i'm not, and i can smell a troll)

Back on topic, without a class balance BEFORE the F2P goes live, people may come back, but would you stay if everything that drove you away is still there?

Fix the Marauder leap. Put it on resolve.
Reroll to FOTM? I've been a Sentinel since August, back when when Saber Ward was our only defensive CD. You're making yourself look stupid. I get stunned/knocked back in the middle of a force leap all the time.

It's not my definition. These are common definitions that originated from EQ. The Enchanter class had a spell called "Mesmerize", that held a target incapable and it broke on damage. This is where the name "Mezz" comes from. Only noobs classify all forms of CC as a stun.

Like I said, you are projecting.

As a bonus here is my Sentinel in Voss wearing robes no longer available in the game. So as you can see, calling me a FOTM Sentinel is rather stupid, considering I've played the class for nearly four months before launch. .

http://i49.tinypic.com/6hj6lc.png
Synion
Shards of Alderaan/Republic Justice

Jedi Sentinel-Watchman
Jedi Conqueror

ArchangelLBC
08.02.2012 , 01:56 AM | #30
Welp, it was nice while it lasted!

Quote:
I beg to differ.

PS. Wall of text over 9000!
Well it damn well didn't start that way >=(

Quote:
There are a variety of reasons (see the post that is entitled 'This is what I see when I read the forums' or somthing similar) why this just will not happen. Lets consider the facts::--

1. The game has been nerfed continually since January.
2. Some classes have been nerfed since January.
3. The game...
ETC

The game playing public will take such information and just attempt to use it as justification for their own poor play. For example if Bioware say that the Sage seer should be hitting the big numbers in healing whilst the Smuggler tops up and does the stealthy bits, and Player 'A' can't hit more than 60k healing with his Sage then the game is wrong and not working etc.

This is what has frunstrated me most in my second experience of playing an MMORPG. In my opinion the companies listen too much to their customers rather than the opposite. I think SWTOR was a better game in January than July.

Thanks for starting this post and at least trying to raise the level of conversation above a continual cry for nerfs to something interesting, calm, and measured.
Well I always knew I was shooting for the moon hoping for a dev response. In many ways I almost can't blame them. Those of us who can take what they tell us like adults, even when we don't like it would be drowned out by the vitriol (Exhibit A: This thread).

And I'll agree that BW has made some serious missteps in how they've approached class balance since launch. You do yourself no favors as a dev when you make big changes in patch after patch instead of sticking to very minor tweaks. I've said this, others have said this.

I dunno that I'd agree that the game as a whole was a better game in January, and I didn't really PVP at launch much, but from everything I hear, it was a better PVP game in January.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd