Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light side or Dark side story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior
Light side or Dark side story?

Dallayna
08.22.2012 , 07:45 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
All of your points are fair. However, you're not taking into account that the OP was asking players their opinions on which story was more engaging. In my view, the Sith warrior was written to be ruthless. (Half the story is about revenge for Yoda's Sake!) Perhaps not 100% DS choices but the story definitely leans more darkside. Some lightside choices dont make any sense at all.
You are right, the OP was asking for opinions, and as far as your opinion that you are gimping yourself is concerned- you were well within your right to express it.

My (slight) issue was with the line that I quoted at the last:

Want lightside, go play Jedi Knight, makes heck of a lot more sense.
You may or may not realize this but, comments such as that are kind of mean because the subtext of such a statement is: "That sucks and well, if you like it than you suck too, so go and like that sucky thing somewhere else you sucky person."

Now, I don't- and didn't think that you fully intended to come across in that manner (in other words, I never even remotely thought you might be trolling), however, I did feel that the implied insult should be pointed out because, at the very least, it indicates that you consider those who have and do enjoy playing their Warriors LS as inferior.

Also, I wasnt insulting anyone by saying that you will gimp yourself if you play Lightside. Its merely stating that because of the game structure and the story structure you (meaning the average person) will probably get more out of the darkside warrior. Being that this is an RPG if you can fairly get into both and light and dark characters equally, you will most likey find the darkside sith warrior more enjoyable.
This was why I tried very hard to point out that the comment was a little less than polite as politely as I could. I did not- nor could I know just from a single post whether you intended the implied insult or not.

In other words:

I didn't think that you were a jerk. But. Your comment was sounding a little jerk-ish. So. I thought I would let you know that before some real jerk jumped on here with the retaliations which usually involves lines like: "Oh Yeah?! Well I may suck but you are stupid! You stupid-loving stupid head!"

BTW, these are easily seen mostly because they contain comments about the DS Warrior Plot as "lacking imagination" and being "like a thousand others..."

Full disclosure: Both types of comments are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me who quite enjoys both.

The Warrior does indeed taste great and is less filling.

As I said before I think that they did a great diservice to this game by making light and darkside choices meaningless. The story is too much on rails, predeterminded conversations with predetermined responses to limited choices. Why does the Jedi coucil make me a Master if they can plainly see the darkside corruption on my face? How come if I spare someone they dont come back later at some point in the story?

Dark and Light was the whole basis for Star Wars. It's a struggle between good and evil, and in this game. I feel it doesnt highlight that nearly enough. Bioware was so worried about mechanics that they forgot that Light vs. Dark is paramount in story telling. The whole design seems rather lazy to me.
Oh good, now we're back to the actual discussion.

Now, I will agree that I don't like rails either. Heck, I grew up on TT of just about every variety and even LARPed for a couple of years. I still remember sitting on my mom's lap as a really little kid "helping" her play MYST or rolling her dice for her during gaming nights before I got old enough to join in- so, believe me... Rails are never good.

However, they are, unfortunately, just an aspect of the medium. Computer games in general and MMOs in particular are just never going to get rid of them completely any time soon. Frankly, I have been finding it impressive that for the first time, after all of the MMOs that I have tried over the years, I'm not just showing an actual interest in- but honestly enjoying the plot instead of just clicking through the dialog boxes just to get to the mish.

Is it perfect? No. But, that doesn't mean that I think that it's without any good points either. And, frankly, yes, I agree there are some major hitches but OTOH.... This is an MMO (I've yet to play a single one that hasn't had quite a few) and it is furthermore an MMO that is still measuring it's lifetime in months. So, my attitude there is- if all the ones that have been running for years still can't get it "Right"... what chance do these guys have?

But, back to my original point:

LS vs DS may not make much of a mechanical difference when it comes to who you meet and where- it does however affect what your character says and how those scenes are played out. By it's nature, these choice then change the context of the scenes in question and thus, the overall storyline of the character you are playing. How much (or how little) you enjoy that story, affects how well you enjoy the game itself- just like it would for any RPG, Computer, Console, Table Top, or even, yes: MMO. And, that, I think, is- well, for a game, pretty much as important as it gets!

TimeBender
08.22.2012 , 09:23 PM | #22
I went mainly LS with my SW (Jugg)
how i went with it was that he has something of a code of honor, he never turns down a fight against a worthy foe (most of the dark side choices i made were after an epic battle, it doesn't suit a powerful foe to spare them.) but won't kill if it's too incredibly easy and he has no need to.
In general i found it a very satisfying story, i'll learn how much was LS and how much was majorly awesome storytelling when my DS Mara gets to a higher level.
the only negative is that LS Jaesa doesn't quite fit with the way my SW is LS in my opinion, though another light path would fit quite nicely.
-------
i shot first

JediMasterYuvan
08.23.2012 , 03:05 AM | #23
I preferred COMPLETELY dark-sided. I'm a Sith Juggernaut! I'm based off a Darth Vader archetype, but I'm pure evil!

upzie
08.23.2012 , 03:09 AM | #24
Spoiler
Upzie, Assassin | Disciples of Zdupz | Tomb of Freedon Nadd
I'm proberly better than you

Dallayna
08.23.2012 , 10:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by upzie View Post
Spoiler
Oooohhh.... I like that one. Definitely doing it the next time through because you're right- it just works so well. Probably going to run it female.

Spoiler

Oh yeah. I think that one could be fun.

And, I like mixed choices too. In fact, I automatically disable the alignment indicators for my non-Force Wielders because 1) it makes me play the character's background and motivations so makes the overarching plot more appropriate to that character and 2) I always figured that Force Wielders can sort of feel what's Light and what's Dark but non Wielders on the other hand wouldn't be quite so attuned to it.

Reynaga
08.23.2012 , 06:10 PM | #26
ok maybe you think that light and dark do not matter, but they have small changes. They do not change the over all story arc, but at one point someone had asked me to go and run a task for them. I was pissed, I was sick of the planet about two zones earlier, I hated the people, and then on top of it, this smug person was telling me that if I wanted his help that I had to go out and help him again. So I force choked him, OMG if this wasn't the most satisfying thing I had done all night, my wife was with me and she was like thank god, happy we didn't have to deal with this worm.

a couple months later I was back on the planet screwing around, killing things and collecting resources for whatever, when someone asked for help with a quest, another Jugg, I said sure. We get out to an area that I had been to and then there I see an instanced area that I never went in to which is where this guy had to go. We finished it and I had no idea where in the story he was because I couldn't remember that part. Turned out that this guy DID NOT choke the guy that I did and we were running his errand. I laughed about it and thought, I'm glad that when I was going through this, I killed the worthless cur.

recently my wife and I were playing troopers, I was dark side vanguard, she was light side commando. The storys gave us differing points of view, she was the republic hero that everyone adored and even recieved fan mail to this effect, I was the renegade vigilanty that no one could touch because I either killed them or they needed me too much. And yes there were parts where the choices we made even changed where we had to go for our story mode, who we saved and what we saw of the game.
The Korbin Legacy B.C.
"When fighting monsters, one must take care not to become a monster themselves." F. N.

Dallayna
08.26.2012 , 01:47 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Reynaga View Post
ok maybe you think that light and dark do not matter, but they have small changes. They do not change the over all story arc, but at one point someone had asked me to go and run a task for them. I was pissed, I was sick of the planet about two zones earlier, I hated the people, and then on top of it, this smug person was telling me that if I wanted his help that I had to go out and help him again. So I force choked him, OMG if this wasn't the most satisfying thing I had done all night, my wife was with me and she was like thank god, happy we didn't have to deal with this worm.

a couple months later I was back on the planet screwing around, killing things and collecting resources for whatever, when someone asked for help with a quest, another Jugg, I said sure. We get out to an area that I had been to and then there I see an instanced area that I never went in to which is where this guy had to go. We finished it and I had no idea where in the story he was because I couldn't remember that part. Turned out that this guy DID NOT choke the guy that I did and we were running his errand. I laughed about it and thought, I'm glad that when I was going through this, I killed the worthless cur.

recently my wife and I were playing troopers, I was dark side vanguard, she was light side commando. The storys gave us differing points of view, she was the republic hero that everyone adored and even recieved fan mail to this effect, I was the renegade vigilanty that no one could touch because I either killed them or they needed me too much. And yes there were parts where the choices we made even changed where we had to go for our story mode, who we saved and what we saw of the game.
That's pretty well true period regardless of story or class, I've noticed....

Case in point: was wandering around with my current mara and wound up on a team with another warrior (who turned out to be DS while I wqas playing Light atm) and an inq for a bit... Did the inq's Class Quest and than "double tapped" ours....

The inquisitor was completely confused over the fact that the "same" scene- the same mission and... with the DS we had to beat Broonmark down wheras when I ran it... nothing like that....

I just pointed out to him that- well, "Different choices=Different outcomes"....

I've also noticed that your character can change what they say depending on which companion you have out for some things as well. So, yes, the variations in this game are actually quite well done for the most part... (lol, of course it's that "for the most part" that seems to really stick in the craw for some folks- myself included when it come to some things........ but, for the most part at least, that seems to be pretty normal for MMOs.....)

Kvarnol
08.29.2012 , 07:26 AM | #28
Sorry for a little off topic but what determinate which jaesa williams you get - alignment or choices?
Noble Demon all the way.

JamieM
08.29.2012 , 08:29 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kvarnol View Post
Sorry for a little off topic but what determinate which jaesa williams you get - alignment or choices?
Dialogue choices.

And for the record I absolutely loved levelling as a Dark Sith Juggernaut. All that was missing was killing younglings and then the experience would have been complete! Fingers crossed that's an option in the future. If you're going to go Dark, might as well go the whole way! None of this wishy-washy bollocks!

OmenQ
08.29.2012 , 10:47 AM | #30
Just finished the class story last night on my Jugg. I LOVED being a pure evil, Dark V, pureblood Sith. Sure, I spared a few people here or there that I felt were useful to me, but only if they were sufficiently scared of me.
Spoiler
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>