Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Light side or Dark side story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Light side or Dark side story?

Dallayna's Avatar


Dallayna
08.10.2012 , 11:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kframe View Post
My question is, I was at the story point at the
Spoiler


So ya id love some clarification there. So far my character does get annoyed and show anger when people try to bribe him or ask him to murder kittens, but im curious about how this dialog choice would have played out.
Yeah, the line was cheesy but, some lines are always going to be in any game so, I usually just "go with the gist" in those cases and, in that particular scene,

Spoiler


I could be wrong but, that's the way I took it. And, so far, I'm loving the LS plot line- if only because of the conversations with those stuck up and hypocritical Jedi! (I particularly enjoyed the confrontation with Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumber on the ship.)

How thick can you get?!!!!

Tommot's Avatar


Tommot
08.10.2012 , 12:38 PM | #12
Lots of people praising the LS story in this thread. Makes me want to try it out some day.

But I went DS and I really enjoyed it. In my opinion, you feel exactly like Darth Vader if he existed in the Old Republic era. The ending to Chapter 1 is AWESOME (I have trouble imagining how this would play out as LS) and you really feel like a ****** by the end of the game.
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

Darth_Hatine's Avatar


Darth_Hatine
08.12.2012 , 03:48 PM | #13
Dark side = Darth Vader, thus more epic!

GusPorterhouse's Avatar


GusPorterhouse
08.15.2012 , 06:41 PM | #14
Romancing Vette as DS is no problem as long as you give her gifts. We got married just before I hit Dark IV.

But if she thinks she can change me, she got another thing coming.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
08.20.2012 , 11:13 AM | #15
Ok so 2 50 Sith Warriors (One Jugg, one Marauder) I played both Light and Dark. The first time through I played 95% dark choices. It was very enjoyable. It felt like playing Darth Vader only on a much broader scale. Some people say the all darkside choices are predictable and herp derp. I disagree, emphatically. All Darkside choices make your character ruthless, even more so than Vader was. But because the voice acting is so good (by far the best voice actor int he game) in that, the actor doesnt make it seem like hes reading from lines but actually makes you believe hes the Sith Warrior.

All that said, the story and the way the game was set up (choices don't matter) Light Side doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yes you are saving all these Imperials and making the Empire strong but your choices dont matter at all in this game. The 98% of the lightside choices dont impact your story in any way. I can think of 2 quests where I chose to spare someone and they came back sometime later. Whereas, as the darkside it makes sense. Who cares if I drop a huge metal crate on all those miners. It's not like if I free them they will somehow come back later. Plus killing everyone is funny. The lightside sith warrior doesnt use the force all that much in his cut scenes (hes busy letting people go). The darkside warrior uses it very often and it grows in power as the story progresses. It leads to some very interesting (and funny) deaths of NPCs.

In closing, I would not recommend anyone to play the Lightside Sith Warrior. While its not a bad story if you do, you are only gimping yourself of the epic story that is the Darkside Sith Warrior. Want lightside, go play Jedi Knight, makes heck of a lot more sense.
Med´vh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
D´omedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Dallayna's Avatar


Dallayna
08.22.2012 , 11:04 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
Ok so 2 50 Sith Warriors (One Jugg, one Marauder) I played both Light and Dark. The first time through I played 95% dark choices. It was very enjoyable. It felt like playing Darth Vader only on a much broader scale. Some people say the all darkside choices are predictable and herp derp. I disagree, emphatically. All Darkside choices make your character ruthless, even more so than Vader was. But because the voice acting is so good (by far the best voice actor int he game) in that, the actor doesnt make it seem like hes reading from lines but actually makes you believe hes the Sith Warrior.
Many people do say that and, many people say that the lightside choices are completely worthless... Personally? I love them both.

Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
All that said, the story and the way the game was set up (choices don't matter) Light Side doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Yes you are saving all these Imperials and making the Empire strong but your choices dont matter at all in this game. The 98% of the lightside choices dont impact your story in any way. I can think of 2 quests where I chose to spare someone and they came back sometime later. Whereas, as the darkside it makes sense. Who cares if I drop a huge metal crate on all those miners. It's not like if I free them they will somehow come back later. Plus killing everyone is funny. The lightside sith warrior doesnt use the force all that much in his cut scenes (hes busy letting people go). The darkside warrior uses it very often and it grows in power as the story progresses. It leads to some very interesting (and funny) deaths of NPCs.
Now, here's where I will disagree- heavily because, frankly, I think that one's choices- regardless of whether it is Dark or Light, Imperial, Republic, Sith, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, or any other class actually impact what I consider to be the most important aspect of any game: your enjoyment of it.

Case in point?

Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
In closing, I would not recommend anyone to play the Lightside Sith Warrior. While its not a bad story if you do, you are only gimping yourself of the epic story that is the Darkside Sith Warrior.
If it truly made no difference to you, then you would not have a recommendation and, furthermore would not feel the need to add in this insult to anyone who does not play as you do:

Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
Want lightside, go play Jedi Knight, makes heck of a lot more sense.
My point is that- Light, Dark, Orange with Pink Stripes does not matter. There are going to be some things you love in this game and some things that you loathe and those things are going to be different for everyone. We should all keep that in mind and try to respect one another's choices and style of gameplay.

Rinth's Avatar


Rinth
08.22.2012 , 11:51 AM | #17
I agree with Dallayna. I think the Light Side Sith Warrior story has it's own appeal but I can also see how it't not for everyone. For me, however, playing as a LSS is my favorite story so far and looks to be the first I will take to 50. That's the great thing about SWtOR though - it can be many things depending on how you want to play it.

By contrast the Jedi Knight I have (only level 15) is very grey. He kills his enemies and so has about as many Dark Side as Light Side points. I think the ability to define your own alignment is what sets this game apart form all the other MMO's out there.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
08.22.2012 , 01:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
Many people do say that and, many people say that the lightside choices are completely worthless... Personally? I love them both.



Now, here's where I will disagree- heavily because, frankly, I think that one's choices- regardless of whether it is Dark or Light, Imperial, Republic, Sith, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, or any other class actually impact what I consider to be the most important aspect of any game: your enjoyment of it.

Case in point?



If it truly made no difference to you, then you would not have a recommendation and, furthermore would not feel the need to add in this insult to anyone who does not play as you do:



My point is that- Light, Dark, Orange with Pink Stripes does not matter. There are going to be some things you love in this game and some things that you loathe and those things are going to be different for everyone. We should all keep that in mind and try to respect one another's choices and style of gameplay.
All of your points are fair. However, you're not taking into account that the OP was asking players their opinions on which story was more engaging. In my view, the Sith warrior was written to be ruthless. (Half the story is about revenge for Yoda's Sake!) Perhaps not 100% DS choices but the story definitely leans more darkside. Some lightside choices dont make any sense at all.

Also, I wasnt insulting anyone by saying that you will gimp yourself if you play Lightside. Its merely stating that because of the game structure and the story structure you (meaning the average person) will probably get more out of the darkside warrior. Being that this is an RPG if you can fairly get into both and light and dark characters equally, you will most likey find the darkside sith warrior more enjoyable.

As I said before I think that they did a great diservice to this game by making light and darkside choices meaningless. The story is too much on rails, predeterminded conversations with predetermined responses to limited choices. Why does the Jedi coucil make me a Master if they can plainly see the darkside corruption on my face? How come if I spare someone they dont come back later at some point in the story?

Dark and Light was the whole basis for Star Wars. It's a struggle between good and evil, and in this game. I feel it doesnt highlight that nearly enough. Bioware was so worried about mechanics that they forgot that Light vs. Dark is paramount in story telling. The whole design seems rather lazy to me.
Med´vh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
D´omedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Rinth's Avatar


Rinth
08.22.2012 , 03:26 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
The 98% of the lightside choices dont impact your story in any way. I can think of 2 quests where I chose to spare someone and they came back sometime later.
Well, as you have played both Light and Dark to 50 that is a valid point about how your choices impact the actual game. However, as a player my choices also impact how I see my character in a very significant way. In this game our characters get to have something of a personality (albeit the one we choose for them) and personally I am really enjoying the Light Side path. The way the Sith Warrior story is written you are hardly like a Jedi. It's a unique experience all its own.

Reynaga's Avatar


Reynaga
08.22.2012 , 07:19 PM | #20
I can't play light side on my Sith Warrior. I think I made two selections for light side in his entire career, one was at the very begining to decide what to do with a spy, which I thought that the more sideous thing to do was to reprogram them to work for us (turned out to be light side) and at the end of the last event we just had where I turned the items into the Empire. I chose that route because my warrior is a man of the empire, not the politics or the power games. There were times I was tempted to go light side because the story pulled at heart strings, but in the end I thought, what would my warrior do? And letting someone live after they have already proved that they changed sides when they saw a better deal means that they would do it to me when the going got tough. I don't see the dark side as evil, I see it as practical. I'm not ruthless, I make the choices I feel will ensure my survival or the survival of my people. OMG wall-o-text. Seriously though, how can someone make some of these selections and think that is for the greater good?
The Korbin Legacy B.C.
"When fighting monsters, one must take care not to become a monster themselves." F. N.