Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Renwen
08.08.2012 , 08:17 AM | #981
Not sure I'll continue playing SWTOR when it goes free to play. Quality of players will decline with it.
If they made the level restriction that WOW has then maybe...at least that would keep our upper levels and end game more to what we'd expect,

Sneakycheeks
08.08.2012 , 09:22 AM | #982
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.
I'm with you...I wish they would tell us when they plan on putting Same gender relationship options into the game. I've been wanting to have my female Sith Warrior romance her female companions.

Sneakycheeks
08.08.2012 , 09:25 AM | #983
Quote: Originally Posted by Jawa_Trooper View Post
so............what About the Cathar you promised?
YES!! Thank you..some one said it....when the heck are we going to get to play as Cathar's like it was said a month or so ago!? I haven't heard anything new about it since Bioware announced that they would be making the Cathar a playable race.

Sneakycheeks
08.08.2012 , 09:27 AM | #984
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.
I agree with this post.

Zooball
08.08.2012 , 09:43 AM | #985
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.
My same thoughts on the issue. I already play one game that does this and it works just fine. Other major MMO's are moving to this and I can only imagine that if EA/BW didn't make this change, the haters would be beating their annoyance drums again with "Why didn't you go with F2P? It would have saved SWTOR!"

deatheyez
08.08.2012 , 10:20 AM | #986
i think that the people that have a founders account and/or a collecrers ed should have a life time subscription when the free 2 play comes out.rether the the monthly tokens that u get. but make it to where there are some idems that u could buy in the store if u would like. just an idea 2 through out there. ty for your time

Supercaboose
08.08.2012 , 11:23 AM | #987
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleosly View Post
First of all you really should focus on the paying players now, raise the level cap to at least 100 so the people who pay get the most advantages and do they pay for the game and just not the subscription cost or is it just free overall?
I agree a little. In my humble opinion they should definitely have to at least buy the game so that they can play free. As far as raising level cap to 100, I feel they should raise it to 60 within a month or two of releasing the free to play. That gives them the time they need to make worth while content for the people who pay. Also I feel they should NOT allow the F2P player base to take advantage of this increase in level at least until there is yet another increase in level cap. E.g. level cap is 70 or 80, then F2P level cap is 60, etc.
EDIT: I just talked a bit with my wife. We had a good discussion about what can be done about the division that is being caused by this subject. We feel it is a good idea to have some servers set up, even if just 1 per server type, that only allow paying players and the rest be mixed or some such arrangement. Please provide feedback... anyone.

I support your decision Bioware. True fans of The Old Republic universe will continue to pay and support.

For those of you here that are declaring that Bioware has killed the game: You've only made a prediction at this point. I believe that prediction to be poorly founded at best and look forward to seeing this game alive and doing well ten years down the road.
-- Proud owner of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™Collector's Edition
~WE~

LordTrikke
08.08.2012 , 11:49 AM | #988
I will no longer be playing SWTOR as the Quality of Gamers that migrate to "free to play" are the worst in the MMO genre. Thank you Bioware and EA for messing up yet another game. . .I.. A big middle finger to all of the SWTOR haters that made SWTOR the game it is today. I looking at you GameBreaker tv.
LordTrikke

Supercaboose
08.08.2012 , 11:55 AM | #989
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.
Sorry, I have to say this because I think it's funny... Asheron's Call will likely still be free to play in 2 years
For those of you about to ask, yes I play AC also.
-- Proud owner of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™Collector's Edition
~WE~

MadHobbit
08.08.2012 , 12:15 PM | #990
well I have no real knowledge, but maybe now the unlock of other races will be purchasable . it will be the deep pockets that can get the good stuff. not saying there will NOT be a way in game to unlock, it is just the new "markets" will allow me to spend my money to get the QOL stuff i want,on the City of heroes forums one person told how when that game went F2P he spent 500.00 buying points for his two accounts. while his is on the extreame end of the purchasing, the people who spend maybe 20.00 every few months is the more norm. let me say I am NOT saying this is wrong in anyway,just relaying things i have seen.