Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SidneyFault
08.07.2012 , 01:35 PM | #961
Its Tuesday and the last post in the dev thread was from Friday... this is absolutely pathetic. They are getting hammered by people who hate the F2P idea and have absolutely nothing to say about it. Nothing.. if they would stop active like everything is some classified secret and talked to us like adults they might be able to save this game. But no they are only showing us that all they care about is being super greedy and find anyway that they can to milk us for every dime they can squeeze out of us
May the 4th be with you!!!!!

Leatherbeak
08.07.2012 , 02:08 PM | #962
So - I'm going to keep subbing for right now and see how it goes. I can say this though - if I feel like the difference between f2p and sub is not worth the 15 bucks then Ill cancel and call it a day.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

XXcroxphireXX
08.07.2012 , 03:55 PM | #963
My first thought was that this would be the beginning of the end but after looking at the details I'm thinking this would be a good thing. First, I'm not loosing anything if I keep subbing. I may even gain something depending on how this whole cartel coin thing works out. But even if it's no loss no gain then I don't care. I may even decide to not re-up the sub. Personally I've been playing the story line only and according to the details that will not be affected by the f2p plan. I do want to make sure the legacy stuff is included in the f2p though. Also, my wife and a few friends would absolutely play if it were free.
Quote: Originally Posted by XXcroxphireXX View Post
I've never played WOW and never will. The only "Elves and Orcs" game I can get into is the Elder Scrolls. I normally go for the "Outer Space" games.

Kaiiizuka
08.07.2012 , 04:40 PM | #964
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
Alot of people will keep there subscription just because they want to support the people who brought us this awesome game, i think its a great idea and its not like every1 is gonna quit because they made it cheeper, only more will join (:

LeonBraun
08.07.2012 , 04:57 PM | #965
After waiting a week to weigh in on the recent news of upcoming free to play option for TOR, and reading and thinking on this topic, it remains clear that this move, this soon and in this way, is an absolutely gutless and disgusting betrayal of the TOR communityís most loyal.

This announcement was made together with prepared plans, new game models and other items that have clearly been in the works for some time. All this planning has been done in the last while to prep the game in a strategically planned out way, off the backs and borrowed time of your paying and most loyal subscribers; doing so instead of fighting hard to build on what we had to make the game better. This was done instead of putting in the time and effort addressing all the needs and requests of your paying customers, while planning to turn the community (that you lured away from other established gaming communities) into a pay as you go drop in center.

As a guild leader, I have become no more than a liar and a con to those I brought into my guild, citing your assurances that that game would be building and growing month by month and getting better, all the while free to play was being prepped. Iíve wasted those peopleís time.

People wonder why the MMO community is so quick to judge and so bitter when it come to quality control in each new MMO. With companies, such as this one, that are so willing to raise the white flag on hard work and proceed to throw their most loyal under the bus for a quick buck, instead of maintaining a commitment to delivering a quality product to make what is there better, itís no wonder the player community has become what it has.

One reaps what they sow.
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

jkaraus
08.07.2012 , 06:23 PM | #966
I have been playing since launch and even before that. The remark " many of our past customers that left said they would come back if it was free to play" is Ironic, they said that to be sarcastic and they took it to heart lmao. I have been thinking on this free to play thing. If I want free to play I will go to Star Trek Online ( where the space is sooo much better than tor). Now weigh this out. okay Free to play are limited to things ingame such as only 1 hm a week etc. Okay what about us vet players who try to set up groups for these. We will be limited to who can do them. Now to elaberate on that topic as well, I will not want to give a free player the same stuff I can do since I pay to play. This is just one idea that comes to me on this. Now to just say what I have to say as a vet player. You going to free to play is more or less spitting in the vet players face. I do not want no one who has Money to get the items and gear that I worked so hard to get with time spent and working with other players who do not know a thing about what they are doing. Then having to deal with the devs ideas of what makes a great game.... Come on if you knew that you would not have come up with this idea that is for sure. I am indeed outraged at this. I have even been spending less time in game due to this and if it does come to light I will probably find another game to play... like chess.

Othea
08.07.2012 , 06:33 PM | #967
Free to Play Games I have played.. AO, ROM, Tribes Ascend and Global Adjenda. Free to play could be substituted for Pay to win or Pay and have an advantage. I am undecided as to if I will continue. $15.00 for "extra content" The content should be amazing and make it worth paying.

SidneyFault
08.07.2012 , 06:41 PM | #968
EA and Bioware are not having a booth at Celebration VI for the game... this just proves this is nothing but pathetic... they obviously don't want to get bashed by the fans or at least defend their actions...
May the 4th be with you!!!!!

rivoonely
08.07.2012 , 06:42 PM | #969
If you let F2p happen all of us suscribers will leave and take a full refund back cause if f2p for level 50 then more noobish newbs will be coming and will flood every single server then you would have to install a back up and more servers CAUSEING YOU TO LOSE MORE MONEY NOW DONT LAUNCH F2P ITS A BAD IDEA FOR THIS COOL OF A GAME

LordPaladin
08.07.2012 , 07:12 PM | #970
I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole free to play thing... I am a loyal subscriber to this game, and have been since the beginning (which isn't that long, so I'm still not sure why this move from bioware, but whatever)... I am looking forward to seeing some of my less financially able friends on here with me... However, I know there will be an influx of 12 year olds and such on here... Which is fine, because I can always turn general chat off if needed... lol But, I swear to you the first time I get schooled by some spoiled little rich kid that has bought all the cartel gear... I'm done... I promise you that... Free to play I am okay with... But, the minute this game becomes Pay to Win... You will loose this VERY loyal customer bioware... And, I feel that I am not the only one who feels this way... I look forward to all the great things to come from this game... Just please don't screw it up!!! Thank You..