Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Yodamind
08.03.2012 , 07:32 AM | #811
Milk whatever it left eh? There's nothing wrong with that, dark-side that you are, lol... This tell me you guys have giving up and decided this game is a bust. Should of hire me, a true gamer that knows what the fan and gamer really wants. lol...
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

al-mar
08.03.2012 , 07:48 AM | #812
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodamind View Post
Milk whatever it left eh? There's nothing wrong with that, dark-side that you are, lol... This tell me you guys have giving up and decided this game is a bust. Should of hire me, a true gamer that knows what the fan and gamer really wants. lol...
they should have listen to us (the players) in the first place.... then this game would be what it should be: the greatest game ever.

Erudain
08.03.2012 , 08:21 AM | #813
ahhhhh this huge ammount of communication from EA/BW with their community is amazing.... kinda renews my faith in other companies....
NCsoft, come back, I forgive you....

RoboRope
08.03.2012 , 08:21 AM | #814
So let me sum up 80 some odd pages:

Good job on going F2P.
F2P sucks me and my friends quit.

I deny your reality and substitute my own.

kaug
08.03.2012 , 08:22 AM | #815
This should never of happened. You have no one else to blame but yourselves for releasing the game way before it was ready, and for your cheap shortcuts trying to save money. Your poor decision making as well as lack of proper testing of the game has led to this point. Pissing off the player base is never a good business model and you have done it many, many times. It is an ultimate failure of management, who are probably more then happy to drive the game into the ground with there bad idea's then move on. Here is a working business model for next time, listen to your customers, do not Nerf players/characters, do not release a product before its ready and polished, don't be so cheap on tech and staff, fire some of the useless management/board to pay for it all.

Esro-Falak
08.03.2012 , 08:27 AM | #816
Sarcasm Font: Bioware is just greedy. I can't believe that they want more money! They think that they can do whatever they want with the game they made, but I have HAD it. I will no longer be subscribing... to a game that I no longer need to subscribe to in order to play.
And God said, "Let them drink Mountain Dew." And there was much rejoicing.

Asacledhae
08.03.2012 , 09:39 AM | #817
Quote: Originally Posted by kaug View Post
This should never of happened. You have no one else to blame but yourselves for releasing the game way before it was ready, and for your cheap shortcuts trying to save money. Your poor decision making as well as lack of proper testing of the game has led to this point. Pissing off the player base is never a good business model and you have done it many, many times. It is an ultimate failure of management, who are probably more then happy to drive the game into the ground with there bad idea's then move on. Here is a working business model for next time, listen to your customers, do not Nerf players/characters, do not release a product before its ready and polished, don't be so cheap on tech and staff, fire some of the useless management/board to pay for it all.
Couldn't agree more..

Anyways, if that's the case, why not making the game BUY to play instead of FREE? Free games get loads and loads and LOADS of "freeloaders" who simply want to kill some time with a free game, "grief" the actual players for the fun of it, or even try to sabotage the community.. You want more people? Ditch the subscription, and make the game buy to play.. It's just that simple, and it works.. If a game is good enough, people wouldn't mind paying for a major expansion pack (new planets, classes, stories - No i do not support level cap raises, i support more content), and everyone is happy about it..

Do you honestly think that you have enough and active GMs to address all the problems a F2P game brings with it? As when a freeloader "Troll" comes in and eventually gets banned for harassing people, it will only make a new account, and go back into the game, and repeat it's trolling.. I could point some fingers towards some good games who went F2P and ended up a troll's den, nut that would be name and shame..

Don't get me wrong, there are good players amongst those who prefer a free to play model, but sadly they are too damn few for this model to work properly.. Trust me on this..

[Sarcasm]
That's all happening to make a KOTOR 3!
[/Sarcasm]
[╬╬╬||()||╬╬█Ξ██████████████████████████████████████████)

Stryklone
08.03.2012 , 10:16 AM | #818
Quote: Originally Posted by WazMeister View Post
Brillaint article here-

A log of interviews showing Bioware dead against F2P for TOR (not against it as a whole but for their game format). They also go on about constant promise of monthly updates and towards the end the whole tide is turned.
F2P is good for them and the monthly content updates as promised for a monthly fee is now unatainable and can not be done basicly...... what a joke.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-...1225612p1.html
BioWare's founding doctors came out not in favor of Pay-For-Better-Progression (aka F2P). Here it is happening anyway. Maybe it will finally sink in with people that the founders don't get to make the big decisions anymore.

Those really pulling the strings of direction with EA's BioWare Division don't have the title of Vice-President.
CzErkA Corporation

Coincidence?

Agrikola
08.03.2012 , 11:19 AM | #819
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.
Shadowbane, 2003-2009.

R.I.P

tkslfhkdksls
08.03.2012 , 11:21 AM | #820
Sadly you could see this coming since before launch. They were going on a late 1990's WOW model. Why do gaming companies do that? Yes WOW is the king. But WOW stumbled into success. It wasn't because of their model. Think back. Sony got full of themselves and alienated a large portion of it's community. Trying to force people to leave EQ and go to EQ II or Galaxies. The only other choices were Ultima Online. WOW launched ugly, no one would put up with it's problems these days. But no one had any place to go. So they toughed it out. WOW used that time to make itself better and the rest is history. WOW also benefited from a huge reduction in the cost of buying new computers at the time. And a big expansion of faster internet. And they also benefited hugely from "chinese farmers" who payed to play as a job. Selling in game money and items for real money. They literally stumbled into a once in a life time chance. So trying to copy their model is a recipe for disaster IMO.

All these games launching today are in an extremely over saturated market. The world wide economy is also down. If you don't launch with your AAA game, most give you 3 months. After that, your done. As players move on to the next big promised game coming out. F2P is the model most failed games use to survive. To make enough money to try to make their next MMO.

I guess it's not all bad news. Maybe this F2P move will wake up EA and Bioware to the fact, they didn't do everything right. Just because yes men tell you your great, doesn't mean your great. Awards from fellow companies do not equate to success. Sure the game has great aspects. But the truth is, it just doesn't have anything to keep you playing. What do you do after you hit 50? Most guilds easily beat the raid content, probably in weeks. In truth you can only pvp, for the gear, farm legacy. And then farm credits for the next hoped expansion.

This shows banking on the games replay value was a huge mistake. If you want to play with the big boys you gotta bring something to the table. Story is nice, but it's no substitute for having something to do.

It still boggles my mind. How did EA, which owns Warhammer. Not use it's RVR system to give this game at least a decent pvp system? SWTOR lent itself to a 3 faction RVR system, which would of fixed the flaws in Warhammer's RVR. A 3 way RVR would of kept PVP types busy for about a year. A 3rd faction would of also allowed for a truly neutral faction. Backing neutral choice rewards. Making all aspects of choice valid. The lessons from Warhammer should of also shown them you need to fully support both PVE and PVP. Fully supporting PVE meant launching with a fully supported raid and guild perks system. Raiding and guild perks should of kept most guilds busy for the first year.

Then you own Bioware and are having them make this. Why? So they could give it that KOTOR/Mass Effect feel. You gave us story. But you forgot, to give us choices that really matter. No neutral rewards takes away that feel. But much worse than that, you didn't give us KOTOR/Mass Effect mini games. Again this would of helped keep us busy for the first year.

Also WOW wasn't super easy to level when it first launched. It wasn't as much of a grind as EQ. But it took a strong gamer like 6 months to reach cap. Average players a year or more. Guilds seemed to take like 3 years to get to the end of content.

So the simple lesson is put stuff in that will keep players busy. Busy but happy with their favorite game aspects. Legacy and alt leveling, because you have nothing else to do. Is annoying. It is not keeping PVE people happy. It is not keeping PVP people happy. It does not keep guild people happy. It doesn't help the game's economy. Instead of concentrating on meaningless fluff. why not show us the beef? Give us stuff to do that makes each gamer group happy.

Hopefully EA/Bioware can now stop licking their wounds and nursing their pride. And stand up like adults, roll up their sleeves and at least try to save the game. Everything you did early on, has not led to your imagined success. Now it's time to re evaluate. And fix stuff. This game currently has no meat. To put it plainly, my suggestions to save this game are...

1. Real end game content. Maybe 40 man raids. Maybe farm resist gear before you can start. Maybe lower drop rates, and get rid of "coins" and make guilds earn raid gear the old fashion way. By farming the raid.

2. 3 faction RVR. Maybe make BH and S neutral, bring in Gray Jedi for a neutral faction. Make neutral choices worth something. Have the 3 factions fight over neutral planets. None Empire, Republic, Hutt Cartel controled.

3. Bring in Bioware mini games. Make this game feel like KOTOR. Maybe speeder racing, pvp and pve arena fights. PVE and PVP bounties like in KOTOR. Pazaak. Betting on all of these things.

4. Guild perk/level system. Obviously have crafting, pve, and pvp areas a guild can specialize in.

5. Higher levels, more planets and maybe more races.

The key point is, what does the new content your adding do to make all aspects of the gaming community happily busy enjoying your game. I believe all of my suggestions are more then doable and cheap enough to implement. IMO it would certainly go further to keep or regaining subs. Than cosmetic fluffy changes. Like adding to the legacy system.