Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WazMeister
08.02.2012 , 03:15 PM | #761
Brillaint article here-

A log of interviews showing Bioware dead against F2P for TOR (not against it as a whole but for their game format). They also go on about constant promise of monthly updates and towards the end the whole tide is turned.
F2P is good for them and the monthly content updates as promised for a monthly fee is now unatainable and can not be done basicly...... what a joke.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-...1225612p1.html

Macemesomesith
08.02.2012 , 03:15 PM | #762
Quote: Originally Posted by jazzbecker View Post
This is how I'm feeling presently; only time will tell and I'm going to keep playing until it does.
Well quoted my friend well quoted and like wise I bought a new system for this game so I'm hardcore like that this game cost me hundreds and I like it that way

You's a Bich like VADER buy a BETA MudaF@RKER......Yeah

BrowncoatSoldier
08.02.2012 , 03:17 PM | #763
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.
Star Trek Online
The game is crap....enough said.
If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable

Kraevac
08.02.2012 , 03:23 PM | #764
Well this is my first post, as far as I can remember, here in the SWTOR forums. That being said, I will try to make it a nonrage post.

I can understand BW wanting to go F2P. Its the new thing to do in MMOs here in the U.S., but I don't understand how BW is going to pull this off. I mean I understand the concept, but what I don't understand is the fact that F2P players will really only have questing in the game. Everything either has a weekly limit/cap or no access at all. The thing that I truely don't understand is why BW/EA is deviating so much from traditional F2P models. As far as I know, no one else locks raids (ops) for players, therefore forcing them to pay for raid content. Most people play for end game content, so I'm not sure this is the best way to go. I have been known to be wrong before and hope that I am now, but it just seems to be so different from current models out there. I would propose that at the very least F2P should have access to all current game content up to the release of F2P. This would at least give those folks a chance to experience all that SWTOR has to offer before deciding to buy additional access to future content updates.

This in no way affects me. I have always and will always subscribe to the monthly sub model, but I know people who would rather play F2P and those people are just like sub players, they want end game PvP and PvE. I'm not bashing BW/EA for going F2P, but this model is so far left of center that it doesn't seem to offer those players much in the way of wanting to either stick around or pay for a sub. To me, this F2P model is like saying "Here is KotOR 3, without the original storyline. Hope you enjoy." I believe some players will be okay with this model, but the vast majority will not like it, not when there are a ton or other preimum F2P games available that offer more content.

DesparadoIV
08.02.2012 , 03:23 PM | #765
God I hope this doesn't ruin the community......
Yan'an/Jax'a/Jaq'n

Neocorteqz
08.02.2012 , 03:28 PM | #766
Quote: Originally Posted by BrowncoatSoldier View Post
Star Trek Online
The game is crap....enough said.
A lot of people would tend to disagree with you, But then again they are not playing this game, so.

STO has its flaws, but it's for the most part a decent game, but then again the biggest flaw was Bringing in Perfect world.
My opinion. Take it for what its worth.
Apop'his lvl 50 Jugg Tank : Ratuki Lvl 26 Sorcerer
Teal' Lvl 25 Marauder
Neocorteqz lvl 33 Sentinel : Kerri-Marie lvl 30 Shadow DPS
Prophecy of The Five

tolaf
08.02.2012 , 03:35 PM | #767
So in other words, BW is giving away 8 free watered down versions of Kotor 3 that are 15% story and 85% grinding in between for no reason since ftp users cannot play fp,wz,op's etc...
Dark Nova leader of the Sin-gie clan

Macemesomesith
08.02.2012 , 03:35 PM | #768
Quote: Originally Posted by PlayLoud View Post
Didn't lose 1.7 million. It reached 1.7 million, and is now "well above" 500k, but below 1 million.

And WoW was an Everquest clone. I will even go so far as to say WoW looked more like EverQuest, than SWTOR looks like WoW.

I think you are right about this. There are a lot of open-world PvPers out there, and they failed to deliver good open-world PvP. I can't deny this one.

They started with 3 WZs, have added a 4th, and a 5th is coming out soon. The game hasn't been out that long.

I wasn't playing when the servers were dead. I played at launch, and after the merges, so I can't comment too much on how bad it was.

I disagree. It is a good money sink, and adds non-P2W perks. Fine by me.

Depends on what the boosts are. If it is just an XP boost, That doesn't mean P2W. when I leveled up my Trooper, I was already over leveled for the content I was in. Leveling up faster doesn't grant you many benefits. It certainly doesn't make you uber. If they have special combat buffs that are "real money only", that could be a problem. I don't want to see P2W any more than you do.

Haven't done ranked WZs, so I can't comment.

I disagree. We have gotten content updates for free. The game has only been out 7 months. This is fine.

The game isn't perfect, but I am having fun playing.

This game is VERY far from biting the dust. It still has over 2x as many subs as SWG EVER had.
Well said man well said either way it's like Elite in MW3 you don't have to get it but u get additional stuff now what's good is if u can unsubscribe paying say this month was bad and then activate full perks once ur ready to get back in.
Also we shouldn't loose perks once paid after we decide to F2P say from Jan to March hey new years means new responsibilites. What I am hearing is that u will have to start over if you subscribe....now EA that makes no sense like MW3 once paid for maps u keep but Elite Perks go away yet I'm still me in the game. Not trying to troll but if I do say use F2P cause money is tight and etc. and have to start over that gets repetitive in a bad way and like stated all game servers come to an end it's how you rode the train there sleeping or enjoying the scene

You's a Bich like VADER buy a BETA MudaF@RKER......Yeah

DesparadoIV
08.02.2012 , 03:48 PM | #769
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEater View Post
My disappointment at this news cannot be conveyed with words.
Yeah, this about covers how I feel....
Been there since the start but i am afraid I am giving up now...
Yan'an/Jax'a/Jaq'n

olegdaboth
08.02.2012 , 04:31 PM | #770
All i want to know is will the F2P Get there own servers... last thing i want is to have them in one i am sorry but no... Give them there own and let us who pay have are peace and ill be happy
To Reach Ones Potential Is To Finishing Ones Goals.