Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CandarOrdo
08.02.2012 , 09:37 AM | #721
At first I was really pissed because I felt like this would be the end of Star Wars The Old Republic as we know it and it would turn into every other MMO that I hated. However after hearing their reasons I definitely understand how the standard for MMO's has become Free-to-Play, with a pay option. As much as I would have liked to see this happen maybe on say...the first anniversary of Star Wars The Old Republic, I feel like they know what they are doing and have probably made the best decision for the game.

However....I feel like Free-to-Play players do not necessarily respect the game as much as us Subscription players and I feel that the most crowded and popular servers should be barred from Free-to-Play usage. Therefore, The Harbinger, Canderous Ordo, The Ebon Hawk, The Fatman, etc, should remain reserved for Subscribed Players only. I feel this would be a very important step to keeping Subscription players (who don't want to play with Free-to-Play players) happy.

I hope you take my suggestion, guys.

Long live Star Wars The Old Republic!

jason_ralph
08.02.2012 , 09:40 AM | #722
If those who are Free are unable to access the mailbox (like SOE does in DCUO), how am I to get my CE stuff (CE special edition Flare Gun, Holocamera, Portable Holodancer, Training Droid, Minimech CE)?
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Strikamerki
08.02.2012 , 09:41 AM | #723
Quote: Originally Posted by Choloe View Post
My only problem is BioWare once again showing it's "Empire Bias" by making all the rewards "Sith" rewards... Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are robes that make us look like Jedi and not homeless Egyptian hobo's?? :/
I've been playing on both sides to get the story's and I can tell you that the Republic story plots are way better then the empires (except for agent) Also most of the gear is cooler at the republic side so no they are not biased for the Sith more making up for the lack of a compelling story for the Empire.

I also like this decision, not gonna be bad at all. I don't play that much anymore and don't need extra perks so I'm going F2P, mostly I like the story in the game and it would be a shame not to be able to get to finish my stories because I don't want to pay for subscription...

RiverRaid
08.02.2012 , 09:42 AM | #724
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Bioware and EA do not owe us anything.
We pay for the continued maintenance of the game ...
First part is true.
The second part is not. We pay for the ticket to enter the theme park they created and they own. How to improve entertainment is their sole discretion. You like it? Then you buy a monthly ticket, you are allowed to enter the grounds and help yourself with fun. You dont like it? Then go away and have your fun elsewhere. SWTOR is their real business. Gamers are NOT investors. Sub is only small compensation of their huge expenses to create [,maintain and develop] the business. Customers feedback is important, as long as it is positive and friendly.

Strikamerki
08.02.2012 , 09:49 AM | #725
[QUOTE=CandarOrdo;4965088]
However....I feel like Free-to-Play players do not necessarily respect the game as much as us Subscription players and I feel that the most crowded and popular servers should be barred from Free-to-Play usage. Therefore, The Harbinger, Canderous Ordo, The Ebon Hawk, The Fatman, etc, should remain reserved for Subscribed Players only. I feel this would be a very important step to keeping Subscription players (who don't want to play with Free-to-Play players) happy.
/QUOTE]

The problem with this is players already on the server that go F2P and old players coming back with characters on those servers. Where do they go? Not to mention if their friends are subscribers but can't play with them from time to time because they are locked out of each others server. The sub isn't going to leave his guild to go to another server to his friends, where supposedly all the trolls will be... Just saying
Might be better just to let it all even out and maybe mark F2P with a different color and/or log them into different ques for match making in WZ, FP and OP

DarffSodius
08.02.2012 , 09:53 AM | #726
Quote: Originally Posted by RiverRaid View Post
First part is true.
The second part is not. We pay for the ticket to enter the theme park they created and they own. How to improve entertainment is their sole discretion. You like it? Then you buy a monthly ticket, you are allowed to enter the grounds and help yourself with fun. You dont like it? Then go away and have your fun elsewhere. SWTOR is their real business. Gamers are NOT investors. Sub is only small compensation of their huge expenses to create the business. Customers feedback is important, so long as it is positive and friendly.
Themeparks cant be maintained without people paying to enter the gates so while you choose to argue that we dont pay to keep the game maintained, im pretty sure we wouldnt have a SWTOR at all without the income thay recieve from us.
Darff 50 Scoundrel Eye'eye 50 Sage
Sodius
50 Shadow Amy-Jayne 50 Commando
Jack'burton 50 Gunslinger Barff 50 Guardian

RiverRaid
08.02.2012 , 10:00 AM | #727
Quote: Originally Posted by DarffSodius View Post
Themeparks cant be maintained without people paying to enter the gates so while you choose to argue that we dont pay to keep the game maintained, im pretty sure we wouldnt have a SWTOR at all without the income thay recieve from us.

maintenance is only relatively small fraction of their expenses, that's what I meant. And yes, every business is about meeting customer needs. No customers - no business. Thats why they want to improve their business and decided to add new group of customers.

CandarOrdo
08.02.2012 , 10:20 AM | #728
Quote: Originally Posted by Strikamerki View Post
The problem with this is players already on the server that go F2P and old players coming back with characters on those servers. Where do they go? Not to mention if their friends are subscribers but can't play with them from time to time because they are locked out of each others server. The sub isn't going to leave his guild to go to another server to his friends, where supposedly all the trolls will be... Just saying
Might be better just to let it all even out and maybe mark F2P with a different color and/or log them into different ques for match making in WZ, FP and OP
I feel that would be beneficial though. It would also give another incentive to have a subscription. I have a guild, and I have characters on other servers for one reason: to play with my friends that aren't on my server. I don't want my server crowded up with tons of free players. My server is pretty packed as it is. And that's simply the problem. The most popular servers should be barred at least to keep them from over packing, and making it miserable to play.

At the very least there should be two layers within a server that allow some sort of separation. If people want to go and play with their friends on that server, then they (the Subscription players) can go into the Free-to-Play layer (but the Free-to-Play players should not have an option to go into the other layer.). That way they can keep their guild and play without free-players if they want, but also be able to go into the Free-to-Play layer if they want. Like a server within a server.

Bevemi_Boplea
08.02.2012 , 10:38 AM | #729
I don't understand why people are complaining about this being F2P now. They say it will ruin it. No it won't. It is literally the same game that we have all been paying for for the last 7 months, except now, you can choose to get a little less of the game, but you don't have to pay. I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, for some people, it's probably great because they don't have a way to pay the sub fee, and it allows people who have yet to enjoy it into this awesome game world that has been created by a very talented group of developers for the first time. So what if you don't think that the sub fee gets you anything worth the money. DON'T PAY. It will be F2P soon enough, and if you are truly a fan of the game as it is, then just jump back in when F2P goes live.
A blade in the dark.... Sith Assassin

Dellgar
08.02.2012 , 10:45 AM | #730
I am not sure if this has been answered. But will the free player be able to join guilds, if so will they be able to go on raids with the guild or will they be blocked? How will we be able to tell if someone is free and who paid