Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Branko
08.02.2012 , 07:34 AM | #711
The death of this game will NOT be F2P. Its either gonna be P2W or poor quality patches that are gonna be to far apart. And since EA document clearly says that SW is not their main concern, and with all the lay offs One can not help but to be pesimistic about it.

Wouldn't it be awsome if layed off developers had a top secret agreement with Lucas to continue developing on SW in the darkest corners of the universe until its done the way it was suposed to be. Then Lucas performs "Coup de grace" and yanks the licence and we all get the best game of our lifes ... ah if only game world wasn't run by ppl who only see in games their money value.

I for sure will try my hardest to avoid anything with EA logo on it from now on!

Jmannseelo
08.02.2012 , 08:01 AM | #712
I don't have a problem with F2P. Many fun games have gone that route. What concerns me the most is this...

"We have a great lineup in development including: a new Operation, Terror From Beyond, a new heroic mission series on the planet of Belsavis; a set of level 50 space combat missions for those looking for the ultimate challenge mode; introduction of a dangerous new Companion to accompany you; and for our PvP fans, a new warzone, Ancient Hypergate!"

Absolutely nothing mentioned here is going to keep me playing SWTOR. Nothing. What this game desperately needs more than anything is repeatable randomized soloable content. Think along the lines of BH missions in SWG or newspaper missions in City of Heroes. Voice acting isn't necessary, text-driven from terminals is perfectly fine. But the bottom line is that solo gameplay post-level cap is beyond broken and doesn't seem to be any sort of priority to the devs. Leveling up is such a joy in SWTOR. I'd say the best in any MMO I've ever played. But unless THAT experience continues post-cap (not heroics, not flashpoints, not PvP....I mean soloable story-driven gameplay) then ultimately this will only be a game that I return to once a year or so, play a toon to level cap, and then drop out until the urge hits me to level a new one a year or so down the road. In short, it will be like a typical console game, not a continuing MMO universe.

Bottom line: For me leveling is the best part of this game by far, and I'd like to see continuing that experience to be the priority. Otherwise I will just be an occasional player.

DarkSaberMaster
08.02.2012 , 08:02 AM | #713
Quote: Originally Posted by Branko View Post
The death of this game will NOT be F2P. Its either gonna be P2W or poor quality patches that are gonna be to far apart. And since EA document clearly says that SW is not their main concern, and with all the lay offs One can not help but to be pesimistic about it.

Wouldn't it be awsome if layed off developers had a top secret agreement with Lucas to continue developing on SW in the darkest corners of the universe until its done the way it was suposed to be. Then Lucas performs "Coup de grace" and yanks the licence and we all get the best game of our lifes ... ah if only game world wasn't run by ppl who only see in games their money value.

I for sure will try my hardest to avoid anything with EA logo on it from now on!
As much as I would love for that to be true, I honestly would likely not play it. This is my second Star Wars MMO that I have been burned by. I have pretty much given up hope for a good, QUALITY Star Wars MMO. One that has all of the features a MMO is supposed to have while providing the Star Wars experience. Heck. I'm pretty much done with MMO's period. After 9 years of being burned by developers who have no clue how read their client base and ignore feedback from their player base, whether in a General Discussion forum or especially their test center forums, I'll stick with my Xbox and SPG's with some online multiplayer elements.
D'aege: (Engineering Sniper)
"Eff a lightsaber. Blasters are king"
The Harbinger "Rangers Lead the Way"

BaronV
08.02.2012 , 08:26 AM | #714
NOOOO!!! Going Free to Play will ruin this game!!!
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

NSStember
08.02.2012 , 08:35 AM | #715
Quote: Originally Posted by xGuyotx View Post
Other than that , I really dont care about FTP. But I really do not think it is fair as a paying subscriber to have to sit and wait for access to a server while a FTP player enjoys the game.
They did say paying customers will get priority login in queue over F2P players.

BaronV
08.02.2012 , 08:40 AM | #716
Quote: Originally Posted by NSStember View Post
They did say paying customers will get priority login in queue over F2P players.
I havent heard anything that makes me feel its going to be worth my paying $15 a month (actually it costs me a lot more in real money because im from a different country with a poor exchange rate and lower purchasing power).

Give the F2P guys up to chapter one or something. The class storylines are the best part of SWTOR... If things go the way I forsee Id probably be better off giving up on my main (and fav) character by unsubbing and just playing all the other classes up till 50 and then say bye bye to SWTOR for good.

Its just one peice of depressing news on top of another isnt it?! And to think that I just shelled out 2 months salary for a new PC...
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

SargeShadywalker
08.02.2012 , 08:56 AM | #717

I dont get all the doom and gloom...and Bioware Ruined my SWTOR! and Damn them to the firey pits of hell talk ...

If anything they have now given people more options with wich to choose how they want to play. You can now choose to play the game free and have less access to a few things in game but you could still play. College and high school students who wanted to play this game probably love this concept. Also familes on a tight budget in our poor economy as well or players new to the MMO concept and want to get their feet wet. But for die hard fans and hardcore raiders and gamers they have and likethe paid option still gives them everything they have already gotten and now access to coiins to get more free stuff for their expierence and for being a loyal paying customer. Its basic marketting principals, try to widen the market and generate more interest from a wider range of folks out there.

More people on the servers and more folks doing microtransactions for the cartel coins, though I know they havent announced that for sure Im sure they will, will help to keep the game and the servers on. In the world off free game apps on facebook and smartophones, ipads and ipodtouches, the pay as you go model has declined in popularity alot since this infusion of these gaming outlets and though alot of folks still dont mind paying a monthly fee for their games alot more wont get within o ten foot pole of game that you have to buy and then continuiously pay for to play. What alot of compaines are now all doing in this MMO genere is try to make a hybrid system that caters to both groups to keep their game alive as long as they can until the next thing wins people over.

To me the more options and exposure bioware can generate for this game and keep people interested in it and giving them multiple options and ways to play it is not only going to keep the game alive longer but is a smart business and marketing move onn their part to try to maximise their games potential and continue to expand on it. those who pay will have perks that those who dont wont...their will most likely be some kind of microtrasnactions to unlock certain things for those who play for free to unlock with real world money while those who pay already will get them free or at laest with their coins they are given.

Tons of MMOs had success with this. LOTRO, Champions online, DDO, Rift, Etc...Also GW and Likely GW2 which were always F2P hang around awhile and while they were industry toppers in gross income made for their companies, they made their compaines in profits while keeping alot of gamers havig fun with each other in the MMO scene.

Lets face it if so many people didnt already have so many years and money already invested in their WOW accounts theyd be hanging their subs up for that game too and many already have...the death of the completly subscription only story driven MMO has arrived... the masses have shown they already demand other options for their gaming dollars...while some will still preferr this method if companies limit themselves to ONLY that option they lose out on tons of revenue and potential customers by having no other options out there to continuously obtain new players to there game, espcially in the world of Mobile device App gaming, and F2p MMOs and very low cost independant games out there...sure most those arent AAA titles or games, but if people are just wanting to kill a few hours a week or a couple a day they have sooo many options now that they never had in the past that companies have to rethink their strategies for marketing their games to todays consumer.
(██████████████████▊░||||(۞)||||░▊██████████████████)

-IceHawk-
08.02.2012 , 09:16 AM | #718
SargeShadywlaker just demonstrated the stark difference between an individual aware of the fiscal realities of a company marketing a product and searching to find a way to retain profitability in one of the worst economies in the last half-century and those that seem to think they are entitled to continuous materials beyond basic maintenance for their subscription dollars.

Bioware and EA do not owe us anything.
We pay for the continued maintenance of the game and if enough profit occurs to bankroll new projects extended content will be provided.

I do not recall signing a legal agreement with Bio/EA when I subbed that guaranteed a continuous flow of new content.

We are not entitled to continued development simply because we have subscribed.

We pay for the game in its current state.

Free-to-play game purchases and micro-transactions might provide a new influx of revenue that would allow continued development. That would be ideal.

So long as my subscription retains maintenance of my server and full access to my characters I do not care.

GryphonSatyr
08.02.2012 , 09:24 AM | #719
Quote: Originally Posted by SteppeMerc View Post
I hope that this will prove to be a positive change.

I am somewhat disturbed that no mention has been made of same sex romance, or the promised addition of Cathars to playable species. These features are of far more interest to me than a new pvp area.
This. Right there. Read it. Look up. There's a good Dev.

Mreks
08.02.2012 , 09:37 AM | #720
I have officily made the wrong choice, I NEED TO GET THIS GAME BACK... FTP = SURVIVING! STO does this and I have a free account.
Kento Histeris : Jedi Consular