Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TimDryson
08.02.2012 , 06:09 AM | #701
All most every mmo is F2P. There other games coming out that are F2P, The new Transformers mmo is going to be F2P.

Krelios
08.02.2012 , 06:11 AM | #702
I had the exact same experience as Nulore and I just switched from six-month recurring to month-to-month as of reading this announcement. I've not yet seen a game that survived the transition from F2P without going straight to the Abyss but (at the risk of sounding like a fanboy) if anyone can do it, BioWare can. I'll keep paying (and playing) unless/until they do something stupid like the STO model.

NSStember
08.02.2012 , 06:30 AM | #703
Quote: Originally Posted by OdenLocke View Post
I understand many of the fears of the players. Yet I fully support this move. I fully support Bioware. Yes, I do have a few issues. Yet I will still be playing this game, because Star Wars means something. It was part of my childhood growing up. The few fond memories I have of my childhood was when my father and I would sit down and watch the movies.
I refuse to give up on this game. Why, you ask. My answer is as simple as this Bioware doesn't disappoint and neither does Star Wars.

Many other games have succeeded while being F2P. Look at City of Heroes, Or any of the multiple others that you can search that you can download. People are just scared that their personal experience will change, because of the people who don't take the game seriously. You can ignore said people.
Very well said. It's easy to panic when a change is announced, but every MMO I've played that has changed to a F2P model has not only stayed around, but has improved. Why not see how Bioware is going to run the game as F2P before yelling about it?

MandFlurry
08.02.2012 , 06:32 AM | #704
Quote: Originally Posted by TomPH View Post
Me too.

I have suffered through the F2P conversion of Star Trek Online and that game became P2W. P2W is just how F2P makes money. It is a sad truth.

I will remain subbed until the point where the first P2W item hits the cartel shop. Then I'm out of this game because I won't make the same mistake twice. I learned it the hard way when I trusted PWE/Cryptic Studios to do right by the Star Trek IP.

EA/Bioware disappointed me in the past too. All I have to say is ME3. Never played it because of the Origin Spyware requirement. I don't have much trust and faith left to give to the gaming industry.
I know how u feel about the industry, it's out of line and it seems the older games are much more fun without the have to sign a spyware contract which I did for my brother, and we use the same computer, though i'm building a new 1 now. But every1 should know this is crappy EA junk, not Bioware as page 23 says on the Ea quaterly report or you can see it on the page before this 1 I think or near the middle of this page.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator

Chisenki
08.02.2012 , 06:32 AM | #705
I'm Not someone who bought the CE, but I did buy the game the Night It came out. I have paid to play since day one. Through all the tough patches. The 5-8 hours of Downtime a week for Server maintenance. I was one of the first 50's on my server that wasn't from the CE pre-launch players.

I don't know how hard I can say that I've tried. I was lucky enough not to be one of the people that had to move servers or lose characters. I just don't understand why they tried so hard, to stop trying all together. It's tough for me to realize that a Company that is Going to Cons to promote their product doesn't care for it. If they do care then Customer Support would be helpful (they're not). If they cared about the product, then they wouldn't punish players for being faithful.

My only hope with this F2P, is that they make Specific Servers For F2P only. Not like they don't have 30 down. I just don't want the Communities that have Been Struggling to survive through this tough time to die out.

The biggest part of an online game is the Community. That's why these Forums are so active. That's why there is such an outrage.

I really just don't want to Lose the Sportsman-like PvP my server is proud of as well as Destroy the rest of the Already small guilds that are surviving they're poor choices and neglect.

OdenLocke
08.02.2012 , 06:39 AM | #706
I understand everyone's feelings here. I have been thinking the same things. Will this kill the game. I was on earlier this morning 12 am to about 5 am. There was only 22 people on the Fleet which sacred me. I have never seen so few people on the fleet ever.
I also have my own issues, with what has been going on with the game. Loosing the only RP PVP server on the west coast sucked. I lost my home server. I transferred to another server and have had bad lag issues. Hell my lag was at 1700 something around 2pm yesterday. I want to love this game. I want to support BioWare. I just can't find it in me to trust EA...
Yes with the F2P we will have the random trolls and what not. The question is, how will it effect me. F2P isn't the end I hope. If they do things right the game could continue running strong. Look at companies that have made it work. City of Heroes. They have been running strong for years. I'm not pushing that way of doing things. I just want to feel that I am getting my monies worth if I am paying to have access to the whole game. I know the Devs wont read most of this at all. I also know they have already made up their minds on how things will progress. All I ask is that, the game continue.
Pain is life, and life is pain. May the true Sith prevail.

DarthTHC
08.02.2012 , 06:58 AM | #707
Quote: Originally Posted by Krelios View Post
I had the exact same experience as Nulore and I just switched from six-month recurring to month-to-month as of reading this announcement. I've not yet seen a game that survived the transition from F2P without going straight to the Abyss but (at the risk of sounding like a fanboy) if anyone can do it, BioWare can. I'll keep paying (and playing) unless/until they do something stupid like the STO model.
It's only BioWare in name, friend. In all other ways, it's EA.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Tommydud
08.02.2012 , 07:05 AM | #708
The only concern I have about this is the fact that they're going to sell "Boosts" in the Cartel shop. If this means what I think it does, then I just might leave this game for good.

xGuyotx
08.02.2012 , 07:24 AM | #709
If a dev does a response to all of this, I have a question. As a subscriber, when I go to log in, it says I have priority in the que over a FTP. If my server is jammed full of FTP players, will one of them get kicked when I try to log in, or do I have to sit around and wait in que even though I am a subscriber?

Other than that , I really dont care about FTP. But I really do not think it is fair as a paying subscriber to have to sit and wait for access to a server while a FTP player enjoys the game.
OOOooottiiniiiii!!!

jason_ralph
08.02.2012 , 07:33 AM | #710
Quote: Originally Posted by xGuyotx View Post
If a dev does a response to all of this, I have a question. As a subscriber, when I go to log in, it says I have priority in the que over a FTP. If my server is jammed full of FTP players, will one of them get kicked when I try to log in, or do I have to sit around and wait in que even though I am a subscriber?

Other than that , I really dont care about FTP. But I really do not think it is fair as a paying subscriber to have to sit and wait for access to a server while a FTP player enjoys the game.
Pretty sure it'll work like it did when DCUO went F2P and the servers got jammed up. As a paying subscriber, I got "Legendary" access. Meaning, if I logged in the same time as someone F2P, I went ahead of them to login, but waited behind someone who was Legendary.
And accessing a game server with no wait isn't a perk, one of many reasons I left DCUO for SWTOR.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".