Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Revan-the-knight
07.31.2012 , 04:29 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
Heh, No

TheCosmicHyena
07.31.2012 , 04:29 PM | #62
Bioware, I love your game and I realize that you want to give us variety. I would LOVE to be able to not have to pay the subscription any more, since for me and others who have been forced to unsubscribe have been unable to afford the subscription. I think it would be brilliant to allow me to pay for individual pieces of premium content almost like dlc. This would get me back into this game while also allowing me to buy more of what I love from you for a longer time. I would also like to see subscribers get all premium content at a discount as I believe this would give many of your loyal fans a reason to continue paying. I would if I could only afford it.

I believe that you want to give me what I have described, but you description has lead to a major miscommunication with your fans. Instead of looking like a dynamic new way to pay, it instead appeared that you were abandoning all subscribers. Your cartel points looked to be an apology that offered us next to nothing for our game that you seemed to have decided to give away. I realize you do not seek to give the game away, but it appears to be so when you allow so many to come in and get a so much content for what would normally be one month of subscription. I and others hastily assumed you were trying to give away the game for almost free and allow people to pay for power or useless cosmetics as is seen in many free to play games. A lot of us plainly don't want that, because those things tend to die. I believe by calling your game free to play you are misrepresenting your intent. It would have bee much easier to tell people that the subscription was now being wavered in favor of a new way to pay for extra content outside of our initial purchases. I and almost all of your past subscribers would have come back. I believe your soon to be mass exodus of people unsubscribing is due to bad communication. I believe that to fix this you should talk to your fans about your intent without the free to play wording. oh and the sale is kind of hurtful and disrespectful to your fans you paid earlier.

- Anthony Jones

Kerwynn
07.31.2012 , 04:30 PM | #63
sighs.....

Now I need to find another game. I am so sorry you took what could have been a great game and failed it.

Master-Nala
07.31.2012 , 04:32 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerwynn View Post
sighs.....

Now I need to find another game. I am so sorry you took what could have been a great game and failed it.
You're going to be looking awhile, since the majority of MMORPGs are F2P and other than WoW most of the others will be soon.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

deathlash
07.31.2012 , 04:32 PM | #65
So here is how i think this game will go if you goto f2p
1. all the people that have been playing and know how to play will be sitting in general chat answering all these questions all the 12 year old kids have to ask that are new to the game
2.people will not be doing to many FP's due to the fact that all the newbies that have joined the game and are fail asses
3.ops will now be destroyed due to nubs doing stupid things and people needing on things that they can not use that is the same for FP's aswell
4.nubs will ask and do some of the most stupid crap and all your sub's will get angry about it and /gamequit for good
5.EA/Bioware willfail as a whole cause of this F2P system
so the out come will not be good for all the people that have wasted their money paying the $15 a month you will lose al your players then you will have a starwars game that failed and all your paying people that pay to play the game will be angry and will have to revert back to world of warcraft and GOD knows we don't want to do that so

moral to all this is DO NOT GOTO FREE TO PLAY WITH THIS GAME CAUSE IT WILL HAVE NO GOOD OUT COME FROM IT DO NOT TAKE THIS GAME TO FREE TO PLAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liquidacid
07.31.2012 , 04:33 PM | #66
everybody needs to go now and vote for the Party Jawa... if I get stuck with a stupid *** Carbonite guy or a holo Rancor I will be pissed
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

AlyxDinas
07.31.2012 , 04:33 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
You're going to be looking awhile, since the majority of MMORPGs are F2P and other than WoW most of the others will be soon.
Pretty much. And if anything, this is likely going to start something of a paradigm shift in the industry in regards to pricing models.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

OnoriaMortalitas
07.31.2012 , 04:34 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by deathlash View Post
So here is how i think this game will go if you goto f2p
1. all the people that have been playing and know how to play will be sitting in general chat answering all these questions all the 12 year old kids have to ask that are new to the game
2.people will not be doing to many FP's due to the fact that all the newbies that have joined the game and are fail asses
3.ops will now be destroyed due to nubs doing stupid things and people needing on things that they can not use that is the same for FP's aswell
4.nubs will ask and do some of the most stupid crap and all your sub's will get angry about and /gamequit for good
5.EA/Bioware willfail as a whole cause of this F2P system
so the out come will not be good for all the people that have wasted their money paying the $15 a month you will lose al your players then you will have a starwars game that failed and all your paying people that pay to play the game will be angry and will have to revert back to world of warcraft and GOD knows we don't want to do that so

moral to all this is DO NOT GOTO FREE TO PLAY WITH THIS GAME CAUSE IT WILL HAVE NO GOOD OUT COME FROM IT DO NOT TAKE THIS GAME TO FREE TO PLAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well since they can't do any ops or high end stuff.. BS. I still am not happy with F2P.

Invic
07.31.2012 , 04:37 PM | #69
Hmm not really seeing a whole lot of a reason to not just play free. To be honest, I spent the last 3 months trying to get a answer to some transfer questions in regards to people serving overseas and unable to transfer with the rest of our guild. Not to mention the mess of guild banks not being moved easily. The silence of that has pretty well driven myself to the unsubscibe land here soon anyway.

Regardless the F2P seems to always take things towards pay to win line of things and despise it for the most part. But it would let me pop in and play here and there after the transfer fiasco is driving me to stop paying anyway. Its hard to pay to play when you feel your paying for abuse lol.

Hope its the right choice...

vandana_
07.31.2012 , 04:37 PM | #70
Explain one thing to me:

Quote:
Subscription A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription
If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???
V'ox