Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

_Lord_Sidious_
08.02.2012 , 02:14 AM | #681
Quote: Originally Posted by xDementedx View Post
I will definitely enjoy F2P, because I will no longer be paying.
Yeah...and you will no more enjoy OPs and end game content :P thats really a big win

dronepilot
08.02.2012 , 02:27 AM | #682
@MandFlurry

I'm really sorry to read about your real life problems, and a really heartfelt message too. To be honest I have been gradually completely 'dismayed' by the constant moves by EA games and Bioware, to market this game further, and vain attempts at trying to get back the players they lost, due to past failures in actually listening to the community.

I really suspect, that nothing here will change much, after all your looking at people who with Knee jerk reactions, nerf classes because of QQ's on the forums, who only represent a tiny fraction of the players who are actually actively playing and not moaning. Bioware to some credit do want to try and please people, but its often a minority of people they listen to more, rather than the masses. I have always loved playing Bioware games, but I feel SWTOR will be my last.

I am disappointed in their decision to go F2P, and really still fail to understand how this is going to help the game 'at all'. Its a vain move, to try and gain a few more lost subscriptions, its a real gamble. While F2P might work with other games to some extent, it really does feel like a stab in the eye to all of us, who were with this game from Launch last year in December and those who were on the beta. (Of course I speak mainly for myself) but I am sure there are others who feel likewise here.

Anyway, good luck with your Real life issues hun, and all the best.

Kathryne.
Velseen / Valseena
Jedi Consular Level 50 - Shadow - Infiltrator - Jedi Sage
Tomb of Freedom Nadd

RobNightfall
08.02.2012 , 03:08 AM | #683
Wow, less than one year out and it's going F2P. How do you take a game with so much potential and screw it up so badly?
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

Silkule
08.02.2012 , 03:14 AM | #684
Anyone notice the F2P options includes only "Limited Access" to Travel Features?

Heck, with how big the worlds are, I'm happy to keep subscribing just to make sure I'm actually getting to the action rather than spending even more time travelling!

al-mar
08.02.2012 , 03:23 AM | #685
Quote: Originally Posted by Silkule View Post
Anyone notice the F2P options includes only "Limited Access" to Travel Features?

Heck, with how big the worlds are, I'm happy to keep subscribing just to make sure I'm actually getting to the action rather than spending even more time travelling!
thats right. the traveling is annoying already... don't wanna know how bad it is with limited travelling

vandana_
08.02.2012 , 03:33 AM | #686
Quote: Originally Posted by originaltodzilla View Post
I hate to be that rational guy that thinks he knows everything, but I just have to. The ppl on here that have said "the age of the MMO is over" (as we know it now) are pretty much right. This is not a bad thing, it's just how it is.
You are so wrong and so not rational. SWTOR sold 2 million boxes. If it was good enough people would have stayed. Not everyone but certainly enough for the game not to fail aka go free-to-play.

Now I believe there are 3 simple reasons for this failure:

1) POOR MANAGEMENT - EA management and marketing deciding what is released and making decisions for the developers. This is closely related to the next reason:

2) LACK OF MMO KNOWLEDGE - Developers of this game did not believe in themselves. They were not confident enough to convince the marketing guys and EA suits that they should be the ones calling the shots. Their team was so inexperienced that they needed a simplistic engine to be actually able to work on the game - with 200m budget they went for a cheap engine ($100 per month) and I don't believe that voiceovers were a problem here. With good resource management and HR they could have easily afforded both. you don't dive into MMO market without proper research and without MMO technical knowledge. This is not 2004. You can't afford to learn by your own mistakes anymore. Bioware proved that they can do the latter and get things right given enough time (I think 1.3 was an excellent patch and the game should have been released in the post 1.3 state. In fact, I believe SWTOR is now the best and most fun MMO in the market which will sadly end with f2p).

Unfortunately EA is not that patient:

3) LACK OF PASSION AND AMBITION from people in charge (and since suits were in charge that is pretty self-explanatory). When it turned out that pouring 200m into a game and licensing Star Wars IP is not enough (because of 1 and 2) EA/Bioware sacked 70% of their team and simply gave up. When the free to play rumours firstly went out James Ohlen's only response was "it's not super easy to do". That was a display of complete lack of ambition and his "Biodrone" nickname became well deserved.

So, if an AMBITIOUS, WELL ORGANIZED company with a TECHNICALLY EXCELLENT developer team makes a game for 200 million bucks and doesn't succeed I will admit that the MMO market is dead. Before that happens you have no real arguments to support that notion. I strongly believe if SWTOR was made by for example Trion Worlds we would be looking at well over 1 million subscribers now. Also, "success" doesn't mean 12 million subscribers. EVE, Rift - those are games successful enough for their creators to stick to a subscription model (and EVE even takes that further essentially allowing veterans to earn their playtime in-game and REALLY play for free) and still bring amazing content out to the players.

What is the most surprising to me to the point I wouldn't believe it was possible if it didn't happen - a company with so much money and possibilities as EA actually made that many poor decisions and gave the game to completely inexperienced and irresponsible people. Back in the end of 2011 everything looked so simple: EA wants their slice of the cake and with that money and with that IP the big slice is not even a gamble - it's guaranteed. But the picture was falsified, it was more of a gamble then we thought and EA should have known better. But I guess they have tons of other games bringing them millions of dollars so they don't care that much.

The saddest part is - all that happened and especially the lack of ambition and greed shown by EA justify the fears of the community.You can expect pay-to-win in the cash shop sooner than later.
V'ox

DarthOmenX
08.02.2012 , 03:54 AM | #687
I just cancelled my subscription after not playing for 3 months and paying for the game. I kept thinking I would come back and play, I love Star Wars, and I love mmo's, the two should be a match made in heaven (at least for me). Sadly I was disappointed with Galaxies, and now with this as well. I can't say I didn't have fun with this for awhile cause I definitely did. Maybe I'm just getting hard to please.

I would like to point out that I think the lack of space combat is something they should have known better than to do after SWG though. I mean the flash player mini game for space combat could be fun. but its hardly on a level with what many of us were expecting. This genre has so much potential that has not been captured yet. I wish I had been on the design team ( I'm not trying to knock their design team btw ). I think they played it a bit too safe and went with what was working for Blizzard, and missed opportunities that could of set them apart from and ahead of the pack.

Anyway that's just my two cents I hope that doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. I hope the change for the ftp option brings the results everyone wants. I personally can't stand ftp because it usually translates into pay to win, but I hope that's not what happens to a good game with great potential. Fellow Star Wars fans take care I hope I return some day.

deags
08.02.2012 , 04:10 AM | #688
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
Your post is not logical. You were paying that subscription before F2P came along (or you weren't playing the game at all and thus the argument is moot anyway). Ergo, the game was good enough for you to do that. What you're actually saying is that you'd like the same content as before, but for less money. Fine, but just say that.

Put another way, clearly you were prepared to raid casually for that subscription price beforehand - what's changed now? Other people can access other bits of the game for free? Is that a big deal? Apparently so.

On the plus side, this confirms that there are actually people out there who fall into the bracket of 'I'd play the game but it's too expensive' because most of the time we hear 'I'd play the game, but it's awful/laggy/looks bad/doesn't have what I want in an MMO'.
Your missing the point, currently I have no real choice, as everyone else, I need to pay a sub to play the game, however when F2P comes along the game becomes 90% free, why I should continue to pay the same sub price for the rest that isn't free.

Or put it even more simply, right now sub = paying for 100% of game
with F2P, sub = paying to unlock the other 10% of the game
And it will still cost $15 a month same as it did before.
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

RiverRaid
08.02.2012 , 04:18 AM | #689
Quote: Originally Posted by Stogzlol View Post
I'll admire the game from a F2P stand point.

Canceled my Subscription.
don't fool ppl around. If you cancel your sub you will never be able to log into that acc again. You will need to create a new acc. Enjoy gameplay from level zero

ps: not in connection with above: I 've noticed that the more pathetic is avatar, nick and signature - the more pathetic whining and threats to cancel forever and everything connected to swtor and BW

Silkule
08.02.2012 , 04:19 AM | #690
Quote: Originally Posted by deags View Post
Your missing the point, currently I have no real choice, as everyone else, I need to pay a sub to play the game, however when F2P comes along the game becomes 90% free, why I should continue to pay the same sub price for the rest that isn't free.

Or put it even more simply, right now sub = paying for 100% of game
with F2P, sub = paying to unlock the other 10% of the game
And it will still cost $15 a month same as it did before.
I'd definitely suggest to read the following -

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

If anything, subscribers are getting at least 50% of the game. Plus future updates for "free" where F2P would presumably either have to pay, or not access it.

Percentage wise, they're probably getting a quarter of what subscribers pay for.