Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kypp
08.01.2012 , 09:39 PM | #651
Thnx EA you've officially ruined another game. Looks like i'm gonna head back to WoW.

Despotus
08.01.2012 , 09:40 PM | #652
TBH this is really frusterating...EA keeps jacking around with FREE items, reduced prices, F2P here and there that seem to spoil the game for me. I feel like I got ripped off for joining back in December! I've cancelled my subscription for now and I'm going to wait out these changes...I do hope it all works out well though
Spoiler

SupremeLegate
08.01.2012 , 10:11 PM | #653
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Krushya View Post
I fear this news will also incite the haters.
Let's be fair, it doesn't take much.

jason_ralph
08.01.2012 , 10:15 PM | #654
Speaking of DC Universe Online...
Which I stopped playing because I didn't like the fact that when it went "F2P" I lost what I had access too: character slots, inventory slots, bank slots, credits I earned, the broker (GTN), etc...
You honestly can't look me in the eye and say I, who has spent $238.80 on a soon-to-be-free game should get the same exact limitations as someone who hasn't spent a dime on this game.
And please don't come with "I will...".
Point is, you haven't. They haven't. I have. And the pitiful 1,900 Cartel Coins (150x6 [for months I subbed for] + 1000 for CE] ) equals roughly 8 Cartel Coins for every $1 I have spent. Really? Really. Thanks, but if this game launched F2P I wouldn't have spent almost $240 on it. If EA/BioWare fails to deliever for those who supported their game during P2P, I will do what I did when SOE did it just months ago: go else where.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Doodle
08.01.2012 , 10:23 PM | #655
I just unsubbed because of this news

F2P is a cancer upon the mmo genre and i am not supporting it

I bought your collectors edition, i subbed to the game. And this is how you repay your most devoted fans?

im gone

WHSoldier
08.01.2012 , 10:43 PM | #656
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.
APB
All Points Bulletin

Blondesolid
08.01.2012 , 10:47 PM | #657
Quote: Originally Posted by jason_ralph View Post
You honestly can't look me in the eye and say I, who has spent $238.80 on a soon-to-be-free game should get the same exact limitations as someone who hasn't spent a dime on this game.
And please don't come with "I will...".
Point is, you haven't. They haven't. I have. And the pitiful 1,900 Cartel Coins (150x6 [for months I subbed for] + 1000 for CE] ) equals roughly 8 Cartel Coins for every $1 I have spent. Really? Really. Thanks, but if this game launched F2P I wouldn't have spent almost $240 on it. If EA/BioWare fails to deliever for those who supported their game during P2P, I will do what I did when SOE did it just months ago: go else where.
Hmm, I never looked at it that way before. I was kinda fine before..... but now I do kinda feel like I've been gotten

TheBandit
08.01.2012 , 11:03 PM | #658
If I'm a subscriber, why am I being awarded monthly credits? Shouldn't I get all newly released content / features for free (i.e. included in my subscription)? Or is this just like every other MMO that becomes a Hybrid; the monthly credit allowance doesn't cover the cost to purchase all the monthly release content, so I still need to dip into my pocket on top of the $15 I will already be paying!

MikeCSS
08.01.2012 , 11:11 PM | #659
Just unsubbed my 2 accounts

I play mainly in two person group with my daughter so warzones, operations etc are not relevant to us
and looks like I will be able to play on casual basis for free

I am lifetime subscriber to LOTRO and saw what F2P did there with introduction of fee based travel passes to allow folks to avoid time sinks which are being architected into the game

I am happy to pay a monthly fee for a good game, content updates and a good in game environment - but I wont be manipulated in the interests of driving more revenue

This is very disappointing
Sorkas Vargen - Powertech Bounty Hunter - Ebon Hawk

Sydth
08.01.2012 , 11:12 PM | #660
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydth View Post
hello? Can we please get a reply from our newly formed community team??

o.o

Khajjo'panåkaAloo'palakPårü shå
Harbinger

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."