Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sydth
08.01.2012 , 04:32 PM | #611
hello? Can we please get a reply from our newly formed community team??
Khajjo'panåkaAloo'palakPårü shå
Harbinger

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

TheUndyingCorpse
08.01.2012 , 05:15 PM | #612
the whole game is not gonna be F2P they are giving you options..
continue to pay w/ no restrictions or goto F2P w/ restrictions.

it's your call on how you want to play.
Naritus: SWGalaxies Eig8t yr Vet

RikHar
08.01.2012 , 05:24 PM | #613
Little do they know that playing "free" means they'll lag far behind everyone else since restrictions won't allow them to advance in many, many different ways. Ways such as gear and many other options. Hope BioWare keeps those restrictions alive and well.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, all those paying the small current monthly fee ( who can't afford $14-16 monthly?) will continue ahead of the curve while the "freebies" stay behind.

It's almost shameful to admit you can't pay a small monthly fee.

And for all those saying it's great that it means more players. Don't you see all those freebie players won't be able to do many of the things paying subs can. Restrictions!!!!!

BioWare: Free to play is a terrible idea on your part. And even worse for those taking advantage of it.

RikHar
08.01.2012 , 05:30 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by Joushigun View Post
I

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. KOTOR.

If this is your only concern then you better check your priorities. They lagging really bad.

Gruug
08.01.2012 , 05:36 PM | #615
Totally disappointed with Bioware and EA on this. Have looked over what you get for your subscription and what people get for playing for free. Nothing there. Nothing to offer. On top of that, if I sub I am paying for those that are "freeloading". I MAY stick around to make it to one year....but I am very doubtful about that. This is a huge slap in the face to those of use that have stuck with Bioware on SWTOR as far as I am concerned.

Give me an MMO that I can visit and have fun! Where what I pay for is not going to those that play for free.

originaltodzilla
08.01.2012 , 05:37 PM | #616
I hate to be that rational guy that thinks he knows everything, but I just have to. The ppl on here that have said "the age of the MMO is over" (as we know it now) are pretty much right. This is not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

As we say in the business: it's not enough "ROI" (return on investment). EA thought Bioware could make enough content and playability to satisfy the amount of hype they had around this game. That was a recipe for destruction.

Don't be dumb people, look at the TRENDS. A game is hyped, pick ANY online game. People create buzz about how awesome it will be and how it will destroy the current games. The game is released. The launch is ALWAYS treated as bad by the fans. After that initial anger, it levels out and the game experiences it's best weeks/months of growth and happy players. As soon as the level 50s come into play, the complaining starts that there is not enough content. Then the PVPers complain about balancing. Then the company get's it's first surge of profit from the sales and pre-sales. Then they start getting the subscriptions.

However within 2 months of release the level 50 complainers start and the PvP complaining starts. As much as everyone thinks "my request is easy and doesn't need development time" is wrong. Now the company has it's go live bugs, they need to work on content, they need to work on balancing. People stop playing. Subscriptions get canceled. Income slows and there is a ton of work to be done.

Even if it's F2P, they need to make money to keep the servers operating, patches coming, content, etc. The reason F2P is seen as the "death of the game" is they are basically working off of borrowed money. They are now giving it away free just to keep people in. They still need income just to keep the lights on. It just wont last.

The problem now is all the players are more mature (not from age) but from a gaming expectation stand point. Their expectations are WAY too high, and the time and money it takes for a company to create enough content, flawless game engine/system, can't satisfy these customers.

The age of the MMO is over. There is no way they can keep millions of people happy for a prolonged period of time to generate enough cash. At best games like Diablo that are simplistic, but entertaining are the way of the future. That or games where people can just jump into, start playing PVP without a lot of effort.

bbates
08.01.2012 , 05:38 PM | #617
It's great that you will be able to buy new outfits and stuff in the store makes it kind of pointless if you dont adjust the lower tier gear to carry set bonuses though.

Tell me why would a F2P player spend money to buy coins to get an outfit when they cant do opps and a columi set bonus wont transfer to their shinny new outfit.

Just a thought if you want to gain revenue from your F2P model you have to put some thought into whats what.
Zero 55 Merc, Tubbington 55 Mara, After 55 Sorc, SleepyBear 55 Opp, Tulduro 55 Jugg Mirand'a 55 Ptech, Naughtengton 55 Sage, Helle'quin 52 Gun,
Proud member of Animosity! The Firefly Legacy!

Koyi_Aldira
08.01.2012 , 05:42 PM | #618
AWESOME! VISUALLY UNIQUE GEAR!

Spoiler
Smuggling slaves to safety, one Twi`Lek at a time!
█PEW█ █PEW█ █PEW█

MasterNosemaj
08.01.2012 , 05:49 PM | #619
This news about free subscriptions with limited access is BS! I have been a loyal subscriber since 12/25/11 and now they are going to drop price to $16 (I paid $60). Their going to change the game money to cartel coins? Credits are the currency of Star Wars, watch a new hope and all the rest! I am all for good changes to the game but these ones scream, while paying customers (a.k.a. subscribers) are footing the bill, these n00bs can play for free? Does that mean we foot the bill to pay the salaries of the game production and development they are going to just give it away to everyone else!
Also are we going to have to pay for the new coins in addition to paying for you loyal subscription?

Grand Master Jedi
Nosemaj
Guild: Jedi Order
Server: Jedi Convent
East coast

Note: If this game was going to go F2P then EA & Bioware should have just come out for Xbox360 like anounced on E3 2010.
Master Nosemaj

SupremeLegate
08.01.2012 , 06:00 PM | #620
Quote: Originally Posted by RikHar View Post
( who can't afford $14-16 monthly?)

It's almost shameful to admit you can't pay a small monthly fee.
[Facepalm] Heaven forbid they should have other, more important, obligations or are unemployed. Shame on them!

Total Jack-hole.