Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jayvrin
08.01.2012 , 11:11 AM | #541
Quote: Originally Posted by Hodir View Post
This is the fall of a great game. every f2p has gone crap. I waited 2.5 years for this game and now this. maybe its time to find a new game.
It hasn't necessarily been all doom and gloom for other games that have gone F2P. In fact, some have at least arguably done better afterwards compared to when they were on a subscription only model (LOTRO, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Star Trek Online immediately come to my mind).

As I mentioned in my previous post, with more gameplay options, it's hard to go wrong. If you want to try the game, fine, because you don't have to pay for it. If you're really into it, then you'll have no problem justifying the $15 a month it takes to play with all the perks. Or, you can play, and pay for additional content whenever you want to, instead of absolutely having to fork over the total subscription fee amount at a certain time every month (or, in the case of those who don't have/don't wish to use a debit or credit card, purchase additional time using a game card) so as to continue. It's no longer simply all or nothing.

Zampano
08.01.2012 , 11:12 AM | #542
Quote: Originally Posted by Kizee View Post
The people that are saying they love the idea and people won't quit over it going F2P haven't been in this boat before.

I just came to this game from EQ2 and when they announced they were going to F2P the thread on EQ2's official site reads almost identical to this one.

You will see what F2P does to the game when bugs go unfixed, content comes out at a snails pace but you see multiple items come out every week in the "store". Been there done that.

You will also see all the armor/weapon models will have terrible looks and the nice looking items will only be able to be bought from the "store".

Then non fluff items will start trickling into the "store" like experience. potions, full rested exp restore potions, mounts with stats and higher speeds, etc.

Mark my words. Nothing good can come from going F2P.
Having been through this twice before (LOTRO and EQ2) I can honestly say that I still think this is a better path to go down. SOEs treatment of F2P has been bad, but LOTRO's F2P model enhanced the game, and continues to do so.

A brave decision Bio/EA, but one which will undoubtedly increase the longevity of the game, and the quality, and range, of options available to us. I, for one, will continue with the subscription until such time as I am bored, which is unlikely to be any time soon.
Zampano Caecusalia - Jedi Consular
"There are many things lost in the Galactic Rim, and untold mysteries beyond, but if we are truly to understand the Force they must be found and, perhaps, destroyed"

DarthTHC
08.01.2012 , 11:13 AM | #543
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishigum View Post
Please put the F2P people on their own servers and not ours thank you very much!

We're in the First Class section and we would like that curtain closed please...
Except that you'll be the ones in Coach and the cash shop will be getting all the cabin attendants' attention...
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Sitholat
08.01.2012 , 11:15 AM | #544
I think its a good idea and it was not a surprise to me at all that F2P has been implemented.

For all the wingers, stick to your word and pack it up !, what do you offer to the community bar your negativity ?.

I really enjoy the game, Im in a great guild with alot of folks whom have become good RL mates (regular meet ups / dinners / drinking sessions XD). I will be continuing my sub and having fun with my mates as per usual. Some new blood floating around wont change this and lets face it, will be a good thing !.

Sydth
08.01.2012 , 11:18 AM | #545
oh muh gosh!

I've been playing since launch and this is the first time I've been displeased with the newz.

I'm new to online gaming and have always been a fan of BBY era (mostly dark horse comics and some novels cannon and non-cannon). It was a SW:TOR trailer which I saw about a year before launch that pulled me in. At the time I had no idea how to play an MMO! I started playing F2P MMOs so that when SW:TOR came out I would be READY!

For me there was a noticeable difference in the community (i have lvl 50 Pub and Imp on both an RP-PVE and a PVP server). I eventually came to believe that it was the anthropological difference between people who WON'T or CAN'T pay vs. people who CAN and WILL pay subscriptions.

Or maybe it was just the younglings on those F2P games that was the issue? And maybe even some unemployed scumbag free loaders too? Well, those younglings will be back in my life again and Bioware, you're not going to be able to keep up with their TOS breaking shenanigans.

I don't know why I even voice my opinions. There's nothing that can or could have been done to stop or change this.

I would recommend maybe not allowing F2P members the use of /general chat until a certain level?
Maybe only let them play in the "origin servers" and then offer them the free character transfers into the "destination server" when they reach 50?
Create some kind of restriction that prevents the buying and selling of "cash shop" items between F2P and P2P members for credits? (THINK OF THE ECONOMY!!!).

etc... This is just me. I read through the threads and I hear what you all say. I look forward to the good and cringe towards the bad. I LOVE this game and I don't want that to change.

May the Force be with us. May the Force be with us all.
Khajjo'panåkaAloo'palakPårü shå
Harbinger

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

walterDD
08.01.2012 , 11:22 AM | #546
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishigum View Post
Please put the F2P people on their own servers and not ours thank you very much!

We're in the First Class section and we would like that curtain closed please...
If they do this im quiting and i sure good number of paying members will as well.

PlayLoud
08.01.2012 , 11:27 AM | #547
Quote: Originally Posted by WazMeister View Post
Just to add I paid for 2x copies (one me and one for wife) @ £40 pounds each + a few months sub and contine to do so myself.
So £80 for the games + subs and this only a few months ago. Now game is entirely free and play for free in Novemeber. So what have I paid for, surely something is not right but being British consumers we lay down and take this rubbish

It's a joke, basicly we deserve more than cartel coins added per month subbed. How about a refund on the game purchase?!?!?!?!?
You forget the first of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

1. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Edit: But seriously, this is a plan to make more money. They aren't going to give the sub money they have acquired already. That's not a sound business plan.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB | SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
Video: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 7 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

Ishigum
08.01.2012 , 11:36 AM | #548
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Except that you'll be the ones in Coach and the cash shop will be getting all the cabin attendants' attention...
LOL you're probably right about that. I'll stick around for now. If I notice a decline in the end game community I'll probably go back to WOW.
"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer." - Mitch Hedberg

krossjointz
08.01.2012 , 11:38 AM | #549
Quote: Originally Posted by PlayLoud View Post
You forget the first of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

1. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Edit: But seriously, this is a plan to make more money. They aren't going to give the sub money they have acquired already. That's not a sound business plan.
Basically they are going F2P cuz they think their losing money so they want more people to play they havnt seem to figure out that they can GET MUCH MORE SUBSCRIBERS if they just FIXED THE GAME and LISTENED TO THEIR consumers but its more for the instant cash grab of were losing money make it f2p and focus only on making cash its sad that video game companies care so *********** little for the players and only about how much cash they can rake in. IF IT IS A GOOD GAME THE PEOPLE WILL PAY TO PLAY BUT IF YOU MAKE IT **** PEOPLE WILL BE HESITANT ON PAYING and then you get the f2p model to grab more payers cuz they dont want to work on the game

Darknessinme
08.01.2012 , 11:46 AM | #550
F2P…love it. I may be one of the few that do not enjoy pvp, wz, fp or ops. I pretty much like leveling, doing dailies, heroics and Role Playing. Now I can do that for FREE with F2P, unless I misread something. So Kudos Bio/EA, you saved me $15 a month!

However, I do see some issues that might occur with the new system.
1. If you limit or restrict the GTN to Suber's and not allow F2P members access to the GTN, then the F2P players will just spam the general chats to sell their stuff or to find stuff to buy. This will flood general chat or chat in general. Supply and Demand, they will find a way to sell their stuff and the general chat is going to be the medium of choice to advertise their products. Let the F2P players buy the Suber's stuff on GTN and save everyone the headache!
2. By limiting access, you are really only hurting those who are trying to find groups for FP, PVP and etc.
3. Trolling will be a major problem, so get ready for that.

Those are just some of the many problems I foresee coming because of F2P. Oh, when are you going to allow transfer (paid or free) to servers of our choosing?