Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WazMeister
08.01.2012 , 10:38 AM | #531
YAY,

This works a treat for me, I just re-subbed and play casual.... I won't hit 50 in awhile so the free to play will last me for ages until I hit content that needs to be paid for.

God knows why anyone would pay to play with what is on offer for free...... maybe until an expansion is released for more levels etc.....
It's madness to ask for a sub at the same price when offering 95% of the game for free.... the sub should be havled and anyone in disagreement just have more money than sense.

Anyway.. saving myself some BLING BLING! FREEBIE to add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do feel a little hurt though, a game I quit and then re-joined and finally love will be tarnished by froobs|!!!

Jonespiano
08.01.2012 , 10:40 AM | #532
Welp.. pandas it is. Was a good run. Maybe I'll be back when you have playable Voss, flying mounts, and the variety of quests that your competition has.
Ebon Hawk - Tarazet - Level 50 MM Sniper
Shaduka - Level 50 Darkness Assassin
Sirrush - Level 41 Medicine Operative
Pan'tera - Level 45 Pyrotech Powertech

WaywardOne
08.01.2012 , 10:45 AM | #533
How much $ is 2000 cartel coins going to cost a f2p player?

How many cartel coins is it going to cost to get my sentinel in a non-brownish, hood-down robe with a non-exploding butt?

How are we going to get more content faster with fewer and fewer programmers working on the game?

Caranten
08.01.2012 , 10:46 AM | #534
mmm 150 cartel points and 200 cartel points. Think that is not much for any months of subscription cards
And also the 50 euro for the game.
Think a bigger deal must be made. Maybe more ingame credits and stuff/goodies (mounts/gear/Pets).

Warrshock
08.01.2012 , 10:46 AM | #535
So you are giving away the best part of SWTOR (leveling story line) for free and making the worst part of SWTOR (lack of content at level 50) a payed feature.... RIP

PlayLoud
08.01.2012 , 10:54 AM | #536
Quote: Originally Posted by WazMeister View Post
God knows why anyone would pay to play with what is on offer for free...... maybe until an expansion is released for more levels etc.....
They have already announced a level cap increase. Since F2P is arriving in November, I wouldn't be surprised if the level cap increase arrived on or before the F2P switch. So, right from the beginning, you will likely not be able to hit max level with a free account.

Also, if you don't continue subbing, you are likely going to have a credit cap, lose bank/inventory slots, and won't be able to post anywhere near as much on the GTN.

If you JUST want to experience the 1-50 story, then F2P is going to be a good option for you. If you want to raid when you hit 50, you will HAVE to sub.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | SSD: Samsung EVO 1TB
Video: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 10 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

Sunrock
08.01.2012 , 10:58 AM | #537
I am very disappointed to see this game go F2P and having a cash shop. I truly hate cash shops with a burning passion, especially exp boosts and the like. I believe exp boost are as mush pay to win as selling over powered gear.

I will defiantly quit playing this game because of this. It's a really good game but I draw the line at cash shops. So... may all of you and your children who decided to introduce cash shops to this game be cursed threefold for all eternity.
Bottom line is that some of us would prefer THIS minigame rather than THIS minigame.

Member of Easy Company - Republic, PvP, US East Coast.

WazMeister
08.01.2012 , 11:01 AM | #538
Just to add I paid for 2x copies (one me and one for wife) @ 40 pounds each + a few months sub and contine to do so myself.
So 80 for the games + subs and this only a few months ago. Now game is entirely free and play for free in Novemeber. So what have I paid for, surely something is not right but being British consumers we lay down and take this rubbish

It's a joke, basicly we deserve more than cartel coins added per month subbed. How about a refund on the game purchase?!?!?!?!?

Kizee
08.01.2012 , 11:02 AM | #539
The people that are saying they love the idea and people won't quit over it going F2P haven't been in this boat before.

I just came to this game from EQ2 and when they announced they were going to F2P the thread on EQ2's official site reads almost identical to this one.

You will see what F2P does to the game when bugs go unfixed, content comes out at a snails pace but you see multiple items come out every week in the "store". Been there done that.

You will also see all the armor/weapon models will have terrible looks and the nice looking items will only be able to be bought from the "store".

Then non fluff items will start trickling into the "store" like experience. potions, full rested exp restore potions, mounts with stats and higher speeds, etc.

Mark my words. Nothing good can come from going F2P.

Ishigum
08.01.2012 , 11:07 AM | #540
Please put the F2P people on their own servers and not ours thank you very much!

We're in the First Class section and we would like that curtain closed please...
"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer." - Mitch Hedberg