Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Burtlebe
08.01.2012 , 08:55 AM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Midgen View Post
I have no problem with Free 2 play or Freemium.

However, I fail to see how this model (only charging for people who want to use the GTN or access Operations) is going to make any money.

As someone who intends to continue to pay the subscription as long as I'm actively playing, I'd like to have seen the Free to Play limit for story content stop after Act 2. Make people who want to play to the end of their class story pay to access that part.
Same way lotro did they give you the base game then quickly add to it so you have things to advance your character further. I am guessing I will be using my cartel coins to buy more character slots which explains why they have kept saying more character slots coming soon hehe.

I personally see it as pure benefit if they stick to the current model they have now. I was in LOTRO when they started a very similiar model and i head all the doomsayers but you know what 3 months after the f2p launch and i was still playing the game the same as i was before except that there was now more folks in the game, lotro was making more money so I had a ton of new content. As long as they dont alter the cartel stores to paytowin I can see myself playing this game for a very long time and that is with me already having 5 50s and 2 more close.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

Felmyst
08.01.2012 , 08:56 AM | #502
Im just as pissed as the next person, ive watch, tested, and paid since it was possible to do so. If this was always there intention why have i paid a sub since launch?

Imo this can only go direction to please myself and many others.

Simply give F2P there own servers. There have been alot of reason stated in previous pages to why this should happen.

Other options?

Pay for want you want

PVP

Ops

Per chapter etc

If not i believe it should be extremily restricted and treated as KOTOR 3 only:

No PVP, No OPS, No GTN, No Legacy, No Profs, No General Chat (give them there own channel).

These are the thing i PAY for...

Vespassian
08.01.2012 , 08:57 AM | #503
EA leave. Just sue yourselves... You've messed up Bioware into trying to make them a cash cow.. I want KOTOR 3, RC 2, and BF3. Thanks to new Lucas Arts president I'll be playing a failure of KOTOR 3 which is going to free-to-play. Go back to your studio and make more trailers for us to watch. They're good.

Most of the things mentioned above should be considered from the producers of this game so it won't happen again. Also make a movie of the trailers.
JOREL
COLE

vandana_
08.01.2012 , 09:00 AM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeyan View Post
Anyway, if you guys can do this right, SWTOR just might see an upward trend for a change I'll be keeping my sub active for the time being in the hopes the store doesn't get filled with game-breaking items to make a quick buck.
It's high time to look the reality in the eye. This is EA, the most greedy and short-sighted game company in the world which destroyed an epic setting (and epic potential) MMO.

They will start without pay-to-win in the cash shop and then, slowly, in little steps, they will start adding them in. Before you notice you will have to spend more then now on subscription to keep playing on the same level.

EA is a virus and LucasArts should have taken the game away from them.
V'ox

Galthalen
08.01.2012 , 09:00 AM | #505
I feel its a bad idea, from my experience of mmo's going free-to-play it ruins them :/ I feel that when they do go F2P they need to do separate servers for them, since after the server cross overs they current servers have enough people on them as it is during peak times.

Vespassian
08.01.2012 , 09:02 AM | #506
I like Cartel Coins. Hopefully this won't be as bad as it looks.
JOREL
COLE

darkphoxx
08.01.2012 , 09:06 AM | #507
I will just say DAMN!

Time to look for a new game!
No game if u can't die!

Choloe
08.01.2012 , 09:08 AM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by Corpselight View Post
Jedi need to die painfully so! I mean really the endless whine of my jedi my jedi is pathetic! You side gets to win every time in it's cliched cannoned good vs evil crap. Sith rule jedi drool! Besides jedi do not have thrones and since you jedi naturally stink it is only fair that you look like walking turds. DEATH TO THE JEDI!!!
I should not bother, because you're obviously a child. But, I was not talking at all about "Game Balance" - The rewards are a SITH THRONE and a SITH MASK. Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are the robes that look like they belong in Star Wars?

This is not about "Sith rule", this is about a company that hired an art department from the Warhammer MMO to create Republic armor that had no clue what a Jedi should look like. Yet, the Empire art department had a good number of Star Wars fans on their team.

So, unless you can comprehend what is being said in a given post, please do not reply.
"Only a Sith thinks of the Force in terms of power, a Jedi listens and feels the Force to achieve harmony with the Galaxy, and complete control and mastery of the Force." - Ancient Jedi Master A'ahrun Chengon

Jonoku
08.01.2012 , 09:08 AM | #509
Since they are going the F2P direction, it's EA's last push to get money out of this game because they know it failed losing so many players since the start. It's a sign of failure if they are switching F2P this early the game has only been out for what? 8 months?

ElectroFidgit
08.01.2012 , 09:17 AM | #510
This seems like the best place to post this as suggestions were asked for. I can tell you what would keep me on a sub.
1. Charge around $ 70.00 a year or keep the current price but allow up to so many simultaneous logins for family play.
2. Embrace the fact that people really do want kotor 3 whatever. Translation, let people solo with pve crew.
Those two things would probably do a world of good.