Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

miscery's Avatar


miscery
08.01.2012 , 07:45 AM | #481
Quote: Originally Posted by rashne View Post
excellent decision bioware, i applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that i can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since day 1 of early access with the collector's edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.
^^ this

Master-A's Avatar


Master-A
08.01.2012 , 07:45 AM | #482
Quote: Originally Posted by xippo View Post
You obviously completely missed the point he was making, and for the record there will be no less than a handful of idiots running around doing and sayign anything just because they know it will not affect them negatively becasue they know they can turn around and make yet another account to come back and grief harass and be just in general a PITA. I've seen it first hand with several of the other games I played that went F2P. That is the quality of player you end up attracting with this model and is exactly why this model IS a bad idea, well at least if you are trying to give the appearance of trying to keep a more mature community.
If u see a idiot put him in ignorlist I dident see any idiots during beta. what about the people who cant pay dont u think they want to play this game it do not only attract idiots. Besides every time something new commes up u will always see people complanig u cant please everyone but *** isent it better to start playing for free? I dont know if u have played Rs befor but un that game I never even seen a idiot or maybe I just dident cear but still it was the most played F2P MMO. So I got the point but the good things are more than the negative. And I just tired of complains!
The Progenitor

ZudetGambeous's Avatar


ZudetGambeous
08.01.2012 , 07:46 AM | #483
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
Probably XP boosts, maybe blue quality stims. Maybe legacy unlocks with cash.
xp boosts are almost guaranteed, crafting boosts are likely, Stims and medpacks are very likely too. Legacy unlocks are almost certain, I mean look at the grind system they set up, they have always been planning on making those into a convenience buy item.

Damage reduction boosts, and other stat boosts are a possibility, but that is a wait and see wort of thing.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."

DarthRik's Avatar


DarthRik
08.01.2012 , 07:54 AM | #484
so this is the iceburg that has sunk the Tortanic

ive unsubbed, i dont plan to play an game that is run by EA now that they have a cash shop in it...

6 months this will be a pay to win game.

also good luck getting a group on LFG now
We need RVR in this game, lets make world burn with pvp

CE

VanderII's Avatar


VanderII
08.01.2012 , 07:55 AM | #485
People want update and not F2P, if there isn't update, new contents etc. we could say "good bye SWTOR". Bioware, give us something new, please.
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

Eaglec's Avatar


Eaglec
08.01.2012 , 07:56 AM | #486
Thought about this.. I have 173 days left on my sub but I've just cancelled because the game will be f2p.
Why? Well, I don't get time to play operations or even many FPs. Possibly just 1 or 2 FPs a month. I was paying so I could play if I wanted to, I was playing this rather than other mmorpgs because I had paid for it. So with not paying I can still do what I want just without the stupid vanity items. I'll probably end up playing different games and even restating my WoW sub. End result is that bioware just lost another subscriber and probably a player eventually.

If it becomes pay to win I'm out anyway but otherwise bioware just saved me 100/yr.

I've never been overly happy with the gameplay past level 15 tbh but was willing to keep a subscription going to aid development. I wanted to see flashpoints to the same quality as the first, proper space combat and more freedom of choice. Looks like that won't happen now, I get the feeling its all trinkets and re-hashed missions from here out.

For their sake I hope I'm not typical because if I am this game won't make it to Christmas!

Grammarye's Avatar


Grammarye
08.01.2012 , 07:59 AM | #487
Quote: Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
I can see that my subscription money has been going to making limits for those who will be playing F2P;Not, as you say, expanding. Where's the S/S romance we've been promised since before launch?
That would be next to the pile of other things we're still waiting for, like neutral gear, expanded story, proper space combat, character transfers where one can choose destination, flashpoints that meet Black Talon's quality, customer service, and everything else that most likely got de-prioritised the moment EA laid off a load of the staff. To be honest, this still feels rather like desperate last gasps rather than a sound planned business strategy. It might work, but as others have commented, F2P only draws people in. They have to want to keep playing & paying and that is contingent upon content & gameplay quality.

It is true that with an influx of players and money the game might well receive more support from EA, turn around and get more of those things we desire. However if I'm honest, my faith in TOR is on the decline since a whole series of band-aid fixes have been applied instead of building a proper foundation for the game in the first place (that by the by would most likely have retained the players they're trying to tempt back now). People might cry hindsight, but we pointed a lot of this out in beta and were ignored. My sympathies are with the actual developers & content creators for the game, because I'm prepared to bet they said a lot of the same and were also ignored.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

BlackTalos's Avatar


BlackTalos
08.01.2012 , 08:00 AM | #488
Quote: Originally Posted by Eaglec View Post
I don't get time to play operations or even many FPs. Possibly just 1 or 2 FPs a month. I was paying so I could play if I wanted to, I was playing this rather than other mmorpgs because I had paid for it. So with not paying I can still do what I want just without the stupid vanity items. I'll probably end up playing different games and even restating my WoW sub. End result is that bioware just lost another subscriber and probably a player eventually.
Many more will follow suit, probably counting myself and my partner...

Bioware, please realise this is a mistake;

Electorn's Avatar


Electorn
08.01.2012 , 08:09 AM | #489
F2P players should not play on the same server of the subscriber .... what do you think ?

al-mar's Avatar


al-mar
08.01.2012 , 08:15 AM | #490
Quote: Originally Posted by Electorn View Post
F2P players should not play on the same server of the subscriber .... what do you think ?
i think: make it an own topic