Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tommohawk
08.01.2012 , 04:16 AM | #421
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.
I have got to agree with you here! I have also been here since day one of Early Access (got the Collectors Edition a month or two after official launch) and I shall continue to sub.

I look forward to what's coming!!

Ravenxox
08.01.2012 , 04:19 AM | #422
Keep your bloody coins and give me some money in return.

Xsorus
08.01.2012 , 04:20 AM | #423
I want to clear something up for people here..

SWTOR is adopting the same model as LOTRO and possibly EQ2 (I'm not sure how theirs work, I've seen their Vanguard model and if EQ2 is like that then rofl.. it blows...)

LOTRO model is not pay to win..You can basically earn everything in LOTRO by playing the game, granted it's grindy to do it.. you can still do it...Having a subscription just gives you everything for free.. and paying for turbine points if you're a f2p guy just removes some of the grinding..

If you want to see an actual PAY to WIN game..

http://allods.gpotato.com/

This game had an actual death penalty that you had to pay to remove..

They had to remove that because it made so many people mad they didn't play the f2p game..

However, You can buy so much stat upgrades in Allods on the shop, that you're basically God in that game compared to people who don't pay cash....

Asbash
08.01.2012 , 04:24 AM | #424
I for 1, don't know about you guy's, play a game because i have fun. If i have to pay a monthly sub for it, i don't mind. IF i still enjoy myself and i still do. So what will change for me? more people who i can do my quest's with while i level my alt's, yes. More people i can have a good time with, yes.

So to all the o no F2P, i'm un subbing. You have your excuse, your not enjoying yourself anymore it seems, MOVE ON.

so my 2 cents, i still love the game, will still play it, will still sub for it and to all the haters.

Guild Wars is that away ==> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Freyar
08.01.2012 , 04:26 AM | #425
I don't trust EA to make a good free to play game. They've tried it with their Play4Free department and those failed HARD. Battlefield Play4Free is a dismal wretched and twisted version of it's former Battlefield 2 self. Battlefield Heroes started out alright, but shifted harder and harder to advantages that could be bought (and in some cases MUST be bought.)

This is under a publisher of whom expects so much income, and they'll get to the point where you won't be able to continue without paying on top of the $15 monthly to continue, or to even the playing field in PvP. It may not start out that way, but it will head to that direction over time for sure.

As far as Guild Wars 2? I've got a CE of that waiting for me as well.

vandana_
08.01.2012 , 04:29 AM | #426
Quote: Originally Posted by Xsorus View Post
You'd have a point if ya didn't have a subscription option as well...

Chances are, people who are going to choose the f2p side, aren't current subscribers....

Also new content is basically required for F2P games.....LOTRO/DDO/COH/STO/Champions all make their primary cash from content.
The subscriptions have been constantly falling. What makes you think that trend will stop? What makes you think BW will be realising any quality content when they laid-off 70% of their workforce?

I think after they released everything what was promised in E3 (because it is almost ready) they major content updates will stop. With the designers focused on getting the profit from the cash shop you can forget about this game being even remotely innovative, major changes to the engine and proper space content. Forget about all the stuff people expected for this game and get ready to spend your cartel coins on useless stuff until you are so pissed that you switch to free.
V'ox

Vindigore
08.01.2012 , 04:31 AM | #427
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydexlic View Post
I'm cool with a F2P model on 2 conditions;

1) No pay to win items are sold, including items that boost a players combat effectiveness, travel speed, crafting crit/success rate and anything else that could be construed to be "pay to win". XP boosts, pets, custom armor shells and mounts in my book are fine.

2) Development budgets for operations aren't sacrificed. Already I'm finding the rate at which new and challenging content is released for "end-game" to be glacially slow. If F2P removes Bioware's incentive to create operation content for the raiding community, my own incentive to continue to subscribe will also removed.

Otherwise, bring on the pink tauntaun pets and celestial speeders.
From the announcements so far, it seems that they follow the LOTRO example. The turbine store currently sells : xp/craft boosters, death penalty removals (which subscribers have to buy as well because the penalties apply to them too), stat boosters, travel/summon boosters, relic removal scrolls (an item essential for min/maxing your legendary weapon - read: for optimizing your gear - that subscribers have to buy as well since this service isn't available in game otherwise) and many more.

Most of the things sold are available for free to subs but there is (usually) a stronger version of the xxx free-to-subs-service to be found in the store. Some times there isn't any service at all (like the death penalty/relic removal), so subs have to buy it in order to have it. I have yet to see any serious gear being sold in the store - yes, there is some but nothing significant, its mostly cosmetic with very low stats, that of a 15-20 level item.

So, if you are ok with such a store, f2p won't change your gameplay at all. If you aren't...tough luck.

As for operations, Turbine has delivered only 1 (purely f2p - moria was developed when the game was sub only) expansion (Isen) and we are waiting for the second (Rohan). It is universally acclaimed that Isen was below par with Moria expansion. Fewer content and until recently (some 8-9months after it release), it had (not frequent but non rare either) problems with the raid boss (resets/bug outs).

The whole post is based on the assumption that they ll do it the "Turbine way", which for a lot of people here seems to be the best and the most successful one.

P.S. : English isn't my native, please excuse any grammar mistakes (bar the serious ones, they have to be pointed out, so I can improve my use of english).

vandana_
08.01.2012 , 04:34 AM | #428
Quote: Originally Posted by Vindigore View Post
relic removal scrolls (an item essential for min/maxing your legendary weapon - read: for optimizing your gear - that subscribers have to buy as well since this service isn't available in game otherwise) and many more.
there we go
V'ox

Freyar
08.01.2012 , 04:39 AM | #429
Quote: Originally Posted by vandana_ View Post
there we go
Watch them give low-cooldown medical kits and energy/resource regeneration tools to the market as well. It'll happen.

RiverRaid
08.01.2012 , 04:40 AM | #430
Vindigore, "death penalty removals" - no such thing in LOTRO. And Isengard expansion was way more fun than dull mazes of Moria.
The LOTRO problem was that they introduced expansions with very slow pace, like 1 each year, which is now a definitely losing strategy on the very dynamic mmo's market. Now they are trying to do it much faster.