Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xsorus
08.01.2012 , 04:03 AM | #411
Quote: Originally Posted by Timetravelzeero View Post
I hope you're right and that this choice does not affect the quality of game development and its contents in a negative way !
By the way F2P games work like LOTRO, you're pretty much required to push content out as fast as possible because that is where you make your money.

LOTRO went from barely releasing expansion packs to releasing them once per year now... That's not counting the content in between.

vandana_
08.01.2012 , 04:04 AM | #412
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations
F2P doesn't get content updates for free
F2P gets fewer travel options
F2P gets a limit on character slots
F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week
F2P gets less inventory and storage space
F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN
F2P gets fewer races to choose from
Which means the following:

The pool of players to recruit for raiding will be drastically reduced.
The pool of players for group finder and warzones will be drastically reduced.
The game economy will go to pre-transfer state (no economy).

EA/BW profit will now mainly come from XP boosts for the levelling free-to-play players and vanity items. Which means that the team developing new content lost their raison d'etre (which was already marked by massive lay-offs) and the rest that stayed will be now occupied with designing vanity ****.

EA had 2 options:
1) invest more money to make the game worth the price
2) go F2P and milk it good

You already know which one they went for.
V'ox

XmaceukX
08.01.2012 , 04:05 AM | #413
I really don't mind it going free to play as this doesn't affect the subscribers it only increases the population which is good and hopefully they will be buying creds and spending it so this increases the dev budget.

I am a bit angry as I only bought the game last month and subbed this month, so if I would have waited I would not have had to buy the box set it would have been free that I am pee'd off at!

I want a refund... if I would have been subscribing a while then extra coins for previous months would have made up for it but only one month isn't exactly going to give me much for the box!

Keep ya cartel coins give me my cash back for the box!

Freyar
08.01.2012 , 04:10 AM | #414
Cartel Coins? No value here. $130 for the CE, $105+ for the subscription so far... How do cartel coins translate to that when SWTOR in itself has been kind of "meh" since launch?

To be honest, I'm really disappointed. I wanted to get a CE of a game that would last, and I'm so put out that EA/Bioware are going this direction. I think I'd be happier with SWTOR closing instead, at least at that point I won't see it turn into a Free-to-Play monstrosity that no longer focuses on content, storytelling, and gameplay improvements.

BrunoLogan
08.01.2012 , 04:10 AM | #415
I still don't know what to think of this... On one hand I'll have more friends willing to try and play the game. On the other hand, if it makes BW not to release new content at a good rate, will be bad for subscribers and for the game itself.
I'll keep my subscription because I don't like to have restrictions and I'm in a guild which invites me to operations several times a week.
Knowing if this is a good or bad decision, only time will tell... In the meanwhile, let's just enjoy the game. I'm looking forward to the stuff they're going to release this month.

Xsorus
08.01.2012 , 04:11 AM | #416
Quote: Originally Posted by vandana_ View Post
Which means the following:

The pool of players to recruit for raiding will be drastically reduced.
The pool of players for group finder and warzones will be drastically reduced.
The game economy will go to pre-transfer state (no economy).

EA/BW profit will now mainly come from XP boosts for the levelling free-to-play players and vanity items. Which means that the team developing new content lost their raison d'etre (which was already marked by massive lay-offs) and the rest that stayed will be now occupied with designing vanity ****.

EA had 2 options:
1) invest more money to make the game worth the price
2) go F2P and milk it good

You already know which one they went for.
You'd have a point if ya didn't have a subscription option as well...

Chances are, people who are going to choose the f2p side, aren't current subscribers....

Also new content is basically required for F2P games.....LOTRO/DDO/COH/STO/Champions all make their primary cash from content.

Timetravelzeero
08.01.2012 , 04:12 AM | #417
Quote: Originally Posted by Xsorus View Post
By the way F2P games work like LOTRO, you're pretty much required to push content out as fast as possible because that is where you make your money.

LOTRO went from barely releasing expansion packs to releasing them once per year now... That's not counting the content in between.
We will wait and see that happens, one thing is certain, however, these changes are still a big question mark for the future of a game and its community.
how can you say in English: "cross our fingers?"

Nisha
08.01.2012 , 04:12 AM | #418
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
thats true and now people who had the colector edition will get more coins than the others, that means poeple who paid more get rewards. I dont like that, rewars must get by ourselves

BanetheDarkLord
08.01.2012 , 04:13 AM | #419
Quote: Originally Posted by Rashne View Post
Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.
^ This ^
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

thedarkred
08.01.2012 , 04:13 AM | #420
I'm really not sure what to think! I mean free to play is okey, but those restrictions they mentioned, what if they're the good 1's like making your outfit the same colour. But other than that I like the idea, especially the new coins.