Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Timetravelzeero
08.01.2012 , 02:55 AM | #391
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More
Is not acceptable to be a f2p game even with 300k active users.
This is a joke for people who until now have given you credit.
Before you go to f2p had to wait for the 50k of active users, and if the fear of making Guild Wars 2 is increasingly being felt, were all wrong because the players who are still in the game are those who would have gone forward. So instead they were driving out!
I just hope that does not happen with poorer quality of play, but I fear that the game will look like from here to fall much further Diablo3 and this is bad!
Play is now losing its sense!

V.

Crankyrickroll
08.01.2012 , 02:55 AM | #392
Bye SWTOR, it's been fun.

WizardsDestiny
08.01.2012 , 02:59 AM | #393
The rewards better be brilliant and even if it only $15 dollars a month now, which is brilliant, we still better get A LOT more rewards than people who are Free Playing, not just social gear. Will the subscription move down to $15? How many Australian? Are you going to perhaps limit World/Quest access when you say 'limit options' for players. This is a great way to revive the SWTOR community but in all truth I'm a bit hesitant about randoms playing for nothing and we not really getting much in return!
There is only Power, and those too weak to seek it.

Akhilleos
08.01.2012 , 02:59 AM | #394
If you make the game F2P with limiting features you must lower the subscription cost of the game. Been as you are no longer paying for a majority of the game features it is only fair.

I would welcome this new strategy if the subscription cost is lowered and i think the game would benefit from it massively.

MoofKnight
08.01.2012 , 03:20 AM | #395
I'm really worried about this. I love this game and will continue to subscribe until we actually see what these "limited access" F2P options actually are.

However, if a subscriber has to spend a single penny more than the subscription fee to remain competitive I will quit. With a subscription based model, the playing field is level. But, when "boosts" start showing up that provide "gaming edge" benefits (which are typically consumables, forcing you to return to buy more) then your competitive edge goes beyond your time and your skill. It requires money. Just imagine how terrible it will be when a stim shows up that can be purchased with these Cartel Points that give you a 10% expertise buff in warzones.

I really want to welcome the F2P model, but I find myself resenting the decision, hoping they will put in a 3 second global cooldown for F2P accounts.

Islenthor
08.01.2012 , 03:20 AM | #396
Tbh, this is a really bad decision: every kid from 5 yrs old will be able to play the game and ruin general chat with the obvious f**k, n**b and so on...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and the game will benefit from it. Because this game could have been a WoW killer. But making it F2P... I'm affraid it will ruin it completely

Sydexlic
08.01.2012 , 03:26 AM | #397
I'm cool with a F2P model on 2 conditions;

1) No pay to win items are sold, including items that boost a players combat effectiveness, travel speed, crafting crit/success rate and anything else that could be construed to be "pay to win". XP boosts, pets, custom armor shells and mounts in my book are fine.

2) Development budgets for operations aren't sacrificed. Already I'm finding the rate at which new and challenging content is released for "end-game" to be glacially slow. If F2P removes Bioware's incentive to create operation content for the raiding community, my own incentive to continue to subscribe will also removed.

Otherwise, bring on the pink tauntaun pets and celestial speeders.

Timetravelzeero
08.01.2012 , 03:28 AM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydexlic View Post
I'm cool with a F2P model on 2 conditions;

1) No pay to win items are sold, including items that boost a players combat effectiveness, travel speed, crafting crit/success rate and anything else that could be construed to be "pay to win". XP boosts, pets, custom armor shells and mounts in my book are fine.

2) Development budgets for operations aren't sacrificed. Already I'm finding the rate at which new and challenging content is released for "end-game" to be glacially slow. If F2P removes Bioware's incentive to create operation content for the raiding community, my own incentive to continue to subscribe will also removed.

Otherwise, bring on the pink tauntaun pets and celestial speeders.

Shonuff
08.01.2012 , 03:29 AM | #399
Was looking for a reason to cancel my subscription.

I hardley play SWTOR and this will free up my money. I've been playing LoL for awhile anyways and been having a blast.

Free 2 Play is the best way to go for a theme park MMO, I only hope that the "locked content" is not pay-to-win items. I also hope locked content does'nt effect the legacy stuff either.
Zallhela
Sith Marauder
// Night Crew \\

RiverRaid
08.01.2012 , 03:31 AM | #400
as I discussed with my friends we miss alot overwhelming fun of world PvP which was at Ilum prior to 1.2. It was laggy, slideshow, but fun was absolutely great. People were rushing there like crazy. I think BW should rewrite client and server software and resume awsome PvP battles on Ilum.