Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Talahar
08.01.2012 , 12:02 AM | #351
I need numbers.
What *EXACTLY* are the differences between free players and subscribers?
How many character slots, what species, how many bank tabs etc etc.
This super vague announcement is worse than no announcement at all,
because half-information is worse than no information at all.
All this creates is anger, confusion, knee-jerk reactions to a topic
that is already loaded with negative connotations about how other games did it.

And who the fork is this Hickman guy, never heard of him before.
This needs answers from people we can trust, not some dude(tm).
Way to screw the Wampa again, Bioware.

And I actually like the game and intend to support it further. Geez.

EvulZoky
08.01.2012 , 12:04 AM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Revearith View Post
I like the idea of more frequent content patches and exclusive gear/items/perks for being a subber.
This!

Don't ever get of this path and it will be glorious!

/ This is not the datacron you are looking for.. move along.

anthemambient
08.01.2012 , 12:04 AM | #353
SWTOR will mirror Aion? B2W?

SevensMind
08.01.2012 , 12:09 AM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by Gherig View Post
ROFL, so you will buy a BioWare game as long as somone threatens or beats you? The Sky is Falling The Sky is Falling

Come on dude, get a grip. This changes nothing, all it does and get more ppl to comeback or try the game, your sub still gives you the same game and more. Seriously, I cant see how anyone with at least a IQ of 20 cant see this as a positive.
Exactly, Its going to get people in, and yes, there will be a lot of casuals in the 1-50 grind, but that's the case already.
What this will do is get people in and enjoying the game, then the people who do enjoy it will go sub and push endgame, It should actually clean up Ops and Rated WZs buy setting aside a more selective few who are really committed...

Delekahn
08.01.2012 , 12:12 AM | #355
Does this mean you will allow me to buy a Purple Lightsaber crystal to use during my leveling process? God I hope so.

-Professor-
08.01.2012 , 12:13 AM | #356
I was a subscriber to the Lord of the Rings Online, DC Universe Online, and Star Trek Online, and went through each of their transitions to Free-to-Play. Based on my experience in those three other settings, here's my prediction for SWTOR when it goes Free-to-Play:

It's doomed. That's right, doomed. No amount of wishful thinking on the part of those who are just hoping against hope that the game will get better, or even just stay the same for them, will make any difference. EA / BioWare's only goal will be to get people to buy things from the Cartel Store. You will no longer be able to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe and take your character seriously (except when in cutscenes), as you will be surrounded by players wearing/ utilizing Cartel Store items that make noise, shoot fireworks, etc., making a mockery of any amount of story gravitas. Low-level characters will be able to buy and wear clothes and armor ill-befitting their status, and will run around shouting their "leet" status. Think of how Star Wars Galaxies screwed up at the end with its iconic class system where everyone could be a Jedi. Well, anyone here with real-world money will be able to pimp out their character from day one. As for the shenanigans that you will see going on from the F2P players, think naked toons in Goldshire in WoW, and you will only have begun to conceive of the approaching horror.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I see no reason to pretend otherwise. My friends, the party, such as it was, is over with the coming Free-to-Play. Back to KotOR, or whatever else fed your Star Wars craving. For me, I shall slip into The Secret World.

SidneyFault
08.01.2012 , 12:29 AM | #357
to all those reading this.. write an email to every gaming magazine you can think of begging them to rate this idea exceptionally poorly. If enough people convince the media that this is a bad idea then maybe this can be saved. That is the only way the devs will pay attention. They have all but stopped reading the forums. and they certainly don't care at all that no one but them, the greedy corporate suck ups, want to bilk the fans out of every red cent.

Remember this is star wars.. and we are the ones who will make or break this.

Hey devs just to get my point across this idea is worse than creation of Jar Jar or having Greedo shooting first. This is that bad.

Get a clue and pay attention to the fan base. we will not accept this. and you thought loosing 600K subscribers was bad wait till your out another 800K for this travesty and assault. this will go down in history as the thing that kill a star wars MMO.... you will be laughed at just like Sony when they kill galaxies... you will loose your contract with Lucas and they will find someone else unless you stop this garbage.... this has got to be painfully obvious.
May the 4th be with you!!!!!

SWGausty
08.01.2012 , 12:37 AM | #358
They ended swg for this......
SWTOR, a broken shadow of it's former self.
31-7-12 R.I.P.

They ended swg for this ?

Gifts
08.01.2012 , 12:47 AM | #359
well i had planned on subbing for a little longer but seeing how Im getting slapped in the face for not buying a collectors editon you just blew that. Thanks for making my decision for me. But hey reward the people that just spent more when they first got the game not the loyal subscribers you've had since day 1.

O_JohnnyBravo_O
08.01.2012 , 12:47 AM | #360
I think this will be good for me and others with lvl 50 characters, because:

1. F2P people will spend money on stuff that will reward them with an instantaneous experience/piece of kit.

2. F2P people will hit 50 and their F2P experience will end

3. Money the F2P person has spent will go in to creating more HM FP, Operations and Warzones for JB with his subscribed 50 toon and his fellow subscribers that the F2P will not be able to experience.

4. Thanks F2P people

Although I do have one request.

Can we get the F2P people to have their own colour and filter with the ability to switch off in General Chat?

I foresee the F2P community being made up of kids, trolls, haters and whingers. Whilst they exist now, they're a small minority.

I just want their money for my lvl 50 toons progression and fun. I don't want to actually hear what they have to say.