Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZIMMOZMAN
07.31.2012 , 09:47 PM | #301
so not even a year and swtor goes free to play and EA thinks its because people have said they will come back if it was free to play, you know why cause they don't want to pay 15 a month for a game that has no good content. Bioware and EA wait all this time to just announce this maybe instead of working on a F2P module you guys should of worked on content. Are we even going to get 1.4 before this F2P stuff comes out. Look at wow that isn't f2p hasn't been and it been up for how many years people still pay for that because of the content

WHY DON'T YOU GUYS LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE PLAYING THIS GAME WE WANT CONTENT WE WANT GOOD PVP, NOT THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE LEFT DON'T LISTEN TO THEM, MOST WOULD COME BACK IF YOU PUT GOOD CONTENT IN THE GAME.

now it means this game will have less funding and less updates, which is slow anyway. You guys should bring back the Friday update tell us each week what's going on what the Devs are thinking on new content.
I FEEL A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE

Netsurfer
07.31.2012 , 09:47 PM | #302
Personally this sounds like it could be awesome; I just hope you guys can pull it off well! Going free to play is something to be handled very, very, very carefully to be done right, I've learned.

The real point of my posting now is to point this out however:

You say we get 150 credits for past months before July 31st here: http://www.swtor.com/free

Then Jeff Hickman said we get 200 credits for past months before July 31st here: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Proof/quote from the above link: "Current and lapsed subscribers will earn 200 Cartel Coins for every paid month prior to today (July 31, 2012) and until the Free-to-Play option launches."

To smooth over the ever-present change = rage forum crowd, I'd strongly suggest you go with what Jeff Hickman said and give us all 200 credits for every month prior to July 31st!

Spectus
07.31.2012 , 09:48 PM | #303
After watching Warner Bros/Turbine convert Lord of the Rings Online to a free-to-play model, this news makes me very, very sad.

F2P, in my opinion, just sets up far too many temptations for a company to screw over its player base, be they subscribers or free-to-play. I saw it first hand in LOTRO, when WB/Turbine did things like remove critical items from the general in-game environment and make them exclusively available in the Turbine Store, EVEN FOR SUBSCRIBERS. I saw it in the way WB/Turbine turned EVERY LITTLE ITEM IN THE GAME into an insane grind -- a grind that can be BYPASSED ENTIRELY, ALL FOR A LOW 295 TURBINE POINTS (or whatever)!!!1!!11!

I also saw its effects in the form of seemingly-endless tweaking of the low-level/entry-level areas of the game, leaving the "endgame" (the veterans and subscribers) to rot. It was CLEARLY all about churning the subscriber base, bringing in new suckers... erm, CUSTOMERS... faster than people were quitting in disgust. Or at least, trying to compensate for the mass exodus. Or partially compensating. Or heck, just surviving in the face of the mass exodus. I don't know.

Bottom line for me is, I watched SWG go up in flames because SOE succumbed to a case of WoW envy. I watched LOTRO do the things the devs SWORE they would NEVER do -- screw their existing players. And now, EA/BioWare are taking their first toke on the crack pipe that is F2P.

I'm outta here.

Congratulations, EA. You've devoured yet another once-beloved game company, and turned it into... well, you-know-what. Your reputation as America's most-hated company is reinforced.
=================================
CANCELLED
=================================

MissingPixels
07.31.2012 , 09:48 PM | #304
I swear... before the game came out, I remember reading that SWTOR was NOT going to go F2P no matter what... sad...

F2P communities are horrible...I think I might be done here...

TheRedSpade
07.31.2012 , 09:49 PM | #305
I'll at least sub the first month. If you can flat-out buy the cartel coins, though, I'm out. No way I'm playing another CO.

Raansu
07.31.2012 , 09:53 PM | #306
And with that I am officially done with swtor...

TheUndyingCorpse
07.31.2012 , 10:00 PM | #307
Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. Second, you have the option to play free to Level 50, with game play restrictions that limit game options and access to certain game content.

all you ppl see is F2P maybe you should read it before you start QQing
Naritus: SWGalaxies Eig8t yr Vet

Richard_Grey
07.31.2012 , 10:02 PM | #308
"Oh my God! They killed Kenny! ...You bastards!" (c)
Goodbye Sith and Jedi, hello pandas...
The fight without thought is suicide.

Jorran_Trell
07.31.2012 , 10:03 PM | #309
I'm out as well. The sh*t is now hitting the fan.

LordLazarus
07.31.2012 , 10:04 PM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by Tylerlee View Post
Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.
This worries me also. I'm not going to pay 15 a month for only end game content thats not worth 15 bucks i would understand lowering the subscription price but this is becoming less of a legitimate game and more of a joke.
When all else fails, Use force lightning