Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wefi
07.31.2012 , 07:12 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Delnoir View Post
League of Legends. I win.
Free Realms.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

xippo
07.31.2012 , 07:12 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Steverak View Post
To be honest the game going F2P isn't a surprise to me, I'm just hoping it has the same effect on it like what happened to Lord of the RIngs Online (LORTO), Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO) and as you said Star Trek Online. The first 2 games have become very profitable and have allowed for them to expand quite well. We just have to see what happens to it.

I also hope people who subscribe will get some major bonus's for them compared to F2P like for example if you F2P you have to spend cartel credits to gain access to operations or certain quests, and I believe cartel credits are going to be purchasable through a store, is that right?
I've said it before and I will say it again, I was a looooong time player of DDO (from about a month after release until TOR's release), as I played LOTRO for some time as well. Yes the frequency of the updates increased, BUT the quality of the releases became rubbish. They would push out only partials of content and/or stuff that was not ready for release from a dev stand point so they could charge another 100, 150, 200, 500 Turbine points, whatever it may of been. Then to make it even worse the quality of the community started to resemble that of the ghetto of the south side of Chicago. It was so unbelievably piss poor between the entitlement kiddies and the WoWtard idiots that started turning general chat in the longest sting of Chuck Norris and your mama jokes known to man. SOrry but they are selling their soul out for this one here, and the sad part is a lot of people already know it.

Erudain
07.31.2012 , 07:14 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Yokomohoyos View Post
Directly from the desk of EA:

1. Official announcement - see Page 1:
"STAR WARS®: The Old Republic™ will move to a more accessible two-tiered pricing
model in November. Players can chose between a $14.99 premium monthly
subscription and a free-to-play model with some restrictions on content and advanced
features. Players will be able to purchase upgrades with in-game currency."

Rest off text....
Wow, just wow....wanna thank EA...wasn't sure about which game to buy.... NBA 2k13 or their NBA Live 2013....they solved that for me....

DocNavyGuy
07.31.2012 , 07:16 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by chaossereph View Post
So... all the people that purchased the collector edition, get extra items and so on. ...but what about the people who purchased the the digital deluxe edition? are they being put into the same category as those who purchased the standard version of the game?
I wondered the same thing. I have been a subscribing member since Early Access, too. I would hate to hear that only those who purchased the Collectors edition get the xtra benefits.
"You were right about one thing, Master. The negotiations were short."

Geoduck
07.31.2012 , 07:17 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by pogmahone View Post
Not even a full year and now F2P. All I can say is wow!!!
Totally.

Even STO lasted longer before it jumped to F2P.

Quote: Originally Posted by BioWare co-founder Greg Zuschuck regarding WoW:
It is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb,"

Ooloi
07.31.2012 , 07:18 PM | #226
I tried F2P with LoTRO, and finally left. I logged on one day a month after I started SW:TOR. THE STORE dominates the game, and you cannot ignore its presence; it's on every screen.

I was a loyal subscriber to Everquest for years, to LoTRO for years.

I'll cancel my subscription and quit playing / logging on -ever- when this becomes active. I'm not going to play another game with THE STORE like LoTRO. My gaming experience there deteriorated until the experience of the Lore and the Environment was overwhelmed by the micro-transaction.

Subscribers in LoTRO got Less and Less and Less with every update of the game, while THE STORE dominated more and more. Yeah, you could still subscribe and get all the basic content free if you liked sinking money monthly into a game where all the new cool stuff was primarily for sale in the store - including most of the good "fluff". No more, oh basic subscriber, could you obtain these items in-game. Promises by Turbine otherwise were a constant stream of lies reminiscent of the treaties the US government made with the Native American Indian Tribes.

I'm so sorry to see this game be utterly ruined by this happening. If this is going to be the way of all MMOs in the future, then I'll go play something else.

lornalove
07.31.2012 , 07:19 PM | #227
Ugh, EA...

You know, maybe people would have resubscribed if you had invested a little more in improving the game. That would haven taken too long though, right? Too slow? I'll be polite and not type the rest of my thought here.

And, this is coming from someone who loves the game.

Master-A
07.31.2012 , 07:21 PM | #228
So I dont get it the game goes F2P and still improving and people is complaning why? Some just dont like it and some is becaus they are geting dinied the things they hade when they used to pay. well wake up u payed befor u can pay again from time to time. And for the people who just dont like it I dont know what u like or how u think!

Wake up and be greatfull for once. complains, complains, complains what is it with u dont u like to be treated well?
The Progenitor

solo-nite
07.31.2012 , 07:21 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Yokomohoyos View Post
Directly from the desk of EA:

1. Official announcement - see Page 1:
"STAR WARS®: The Old Republic™ will move to a more accessible two-tiered pricing
model in November. Players can chose between a $14.99 premium monthly
subscription and a free-to-play model with some restrictions on content and advanced
features. Players will be able to purchase upgrades with in-game currency."

rest text off:
and yet again it all boils down to EA being greedy buggers, when I first heard EA was involved I thought how long before micro transactions or a very expensive sub appears. It's been like 8 months already give the game a friggin chance before you put it down, every MMO struggles on the first year (launches...bugs etc).

Won't be long before The secret World goes f2p then as they with that too, between EA and activision they are destroying the gaming world with greed.

Geoduck
07.31.2012 , 07:21 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Wefi View Post
Free Realms.
Club Penquin
Quote: Originally Posted by BioWare co-founder Greg Zuschuck regarding WoW:
It is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb,"