Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kharnis
07.31.2012 , 06:24 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by BEVINCE View Post
Yeah the sub price was the reason...not your so called "AAA" content? Half of it is glitched, the other half is so linear that it's less MMO and more like you just tricked us into paying for a chopped up version of KOTOR 3. Bioware you really disappointed with your lack of foresight in the making of this game. Then again your not really Bioware, your just a clone...an infernal creation made by your soul sucking corporate sugar daddy that pretends it's the AAA developer that Bioware was. Remember that...your not a AAA developer, just a soulless husk with no ambitions aside from making big DadEA happy so he doesn't take you out back and shoot you like he did to Bullfrog,Maxis,Westwood, and your other siblings.
Yeah, I noticed that, too, on their official investor's call. Making the claim that 40% cited sub prices as a reason for quitting and that they'd come back if the game was free? There's a difference between players saying "The sub price is too high. Make it free, please," and "There's no way I'd pay a sub for this substandard game. Maybe if it were free I'd play it as it is."
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

Antbow
07.31.2012 , 06:25 PM | #182
Well this sure screams 'NGE' all over again.

Picasso
07.31.2012 , 06:26 PM | #183
As long as the system for purchasing content does not get in the way of the game it should be OK. LOTRO's big failure is that they went F2P and had a store for item purchase that became intrusive to the game.
Have a nice day.

lornalove
07.31.2012 , 06:27 PM | #184
I just...

I want to believe...

But I don't.

Tuscad
07.31.2012 , 06:28 PM | #185
You should change your company name to Byeowhere as in the former fans all saying "bye" and the suits in charge asking "Oh where has everybody gone?"
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Tsillah
07.31.2012 , 06:29 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Emohawk View Post
This game needs some sort of veteran reward system.
There is not a huge amount of difference between the f2p and getting peeps to cough up and sub.
Maybe rewarding the people who do sub via a veteran system would help.

Every 3 months you earn a in game reward, pets,mounts,gear etc.
Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations
F2P doesn't get content updates for free
F2P gets fewer travel options
F2P gets a limit on character slots
F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week
F2P gets less inventory and storage space
F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN
F2P gets fewer races to choose from

Just to mention the first few things that stood out to me that free doesn't include or has limits on. I am sure that when people want to raise some of these limits they will pay for it.

There will be items available also with the cartel points. Subs get cartel points every month as part of their sub as well. Guess you can choose which "veteran awards" you wanna pick.
Ultimately I am a much more reasonable person when people reply to what I actually wrote instead of what they decided I meant with it

ClavisN
07.31.2012 , 06:30 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
releasing a game that operates on the F2P with cash shop model that's been around for years is pioneering? ...
LOL. There is this thing called GW1. Around for 7 years now, it's been F2P from day one.

Tennisen
07.31.2012 , 06:30 PM | #188
Sad to say but I will leave once this is free to play. I have never found a free to play game that i enjoyed and on principle I refuse to patronise nickle and diming.

Emohawk
07.31.2012 , 06:31 PM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Reading ftw.

F2P doesn't get operations
F2P doesn't get content updates for free
F2P gets fewer travel options
F2P gets a limit on character slots
F2P gets a limit on how many FP's they can play per week
F2P gets less inventory and storage space
F2P gets very limited access to sell items via the GTN
F2P gets fewer races to choose from

Just to mention the first few things that stood out to me that free doesn't include or has limits on. I am sure that when people want to raise some of these limits they will pay for it.

There will be items available also with the cartel points. Subs get cartel points every month as part of their sub as well. Guess you can choose which "veteran awards" you wanna pick.
But you can level for free to 50...so you willing to sub for operations and a few more fashpoints?

Winguardian
07.31.2012 , 06:32 PM | #190
Well this all depends on how much you can buy and what you can buy with the currency. Right now every-things very vague and that makes things open for interpretation which in and of itself will hurt the game.

BW you promised us time and time again for quick updates, open communication, and listening to community feedback. Other than holding that guild summit (where almost none of the features that were asked got implemented - and yes I know things have a long leadtime in an MMO but at least letting us know you're working on it would have made a big difference) you guys haven't really shown much to us about listening to community feedback.

Where's cross server q's? With population dwindling again the ranked q's aren't popping as much as they used to be (at least on The Fatman) and on top of that, the competition just isn't there at the moment. Pushing out content that has little to no replayability (other than a boring grindfest - which the dailies are, they are not engaging in any way shape or farm, they become repetitive and a hassle to do).

You had a great thing going with PvP, it was fun, easy to get in to, rewarding skilled players. But you promised the PvP community so much and have yet to deliver on most of the stuff. Cross server q's and a working open world PvP experience being among them.

The game wasn't finished, you pushed it out too soon, then had to start patching the game to get it a decent competitive level. Now that you're almost there you make this very risky move.

It just feels to alot of us like your loyal subscribers are being shafted. I mean sure we get rewarded in in game currency (which we don't really know the value of yet, things might just be ridiculously overpriced) but you're giving content away for free that we had to pay for to play it. We bought the game for 50ish euros (which only got me a month of gametime) and then charged us a subscription rate, whilst providing a F2P optiont o players 7 months after release. It's risky, I hope it pans out for you guys but right now there's just too much controversy about the whole thing and too little actually known about what direction you will be taking the ingame shop in.

/Rant

TL;DR: I played since pre-access, am 50 legacy, but am very disconcerted about this move, too much unknowns, too many ways to bring the game in a wrong direction, too much unkept promises from the development team. Uncertainty.