Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Smailien
07.31.2012 , 05:40 PM | #151
As long as I don't see a store icon popping up all over my UI I think I'll be okay with this. Just don't "LOTRO" it up, because LOTRO was incredible until F2P came out, they changed their development directions and that is what made the game suffer. Just keep making the game like you have been please
Don't be an idiot, know things.

Yukonjack
07.31.2012 , 05:42 PM | #152
I seldom post, being an older player (will admit to being over 60) I really like the more adult like players on SWTOR.

But it is after a business that provide us with a game to have fun with. For the most part I love the game, some things I am not crazy about in the game, but oh well. But I would like to point out a few things:

First about those that complain about the $15, some of whom do so after buying their daily $5 fancy joe at Starbucks.
$15 a month is cheap fun, compared to almost everything today. Even if you play only one hr a day that works out to 50 cents an hour. I gladly pay my sub fee just to keep the rift raft out. I really had enough of whining give me everything now and free, my last few months on WoW.

But since they said they will go F2P, I will look at how it goes.

But in the F2P models, I have done (mostly LothR), they have lowered the sub rate by a good amount. Also the currency they use (cartel coins for SWTOR) are used to buy real in games items that can help you in game. If you are a sub and have enough coins, I see nothing wrong with buying a piece of top end gear (ops or pvp). Make it the same but a different color if you want, to show it was bought. If BW does a good enough job with that, people might even buy some cartel coins on top of their subscription.

In order to keep its subscribers BW (EA) must give us value for our dollars. As they understand the business model, they give us value we stay, they don't we go or some will just do F2P. BW - EA is the first one I know of to change to a F2P before at least a year. Please amaze all of us by doing it right, but if you do error, please make sure its on the side of all your loyal subscribers.

hillerbees
07.31.2012 , 05:43 PM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by Tylerlee View Post
Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.
Fully agree - was paying 13 per month for full game play, now what....paying 13 effectively for perks/privilges.

The Cartel Coins immediately make me think of Facebook/Farmville.

How long before even these new restrictions are removed for F2P players?

I can see a huge shift to players going for the free option and therefore the GTN will die like it did when people unsubscribed and also it will once again be hard to get groups together for Ops, Ranked Warzones etc.

Could Bioware not have chosen instead to keep the Free to Lvl 15 and just halve the subscribtion price?

Anything that brings the cost of gaming down is good but having a two tier system like this looks dodgy to me.

By the way I do love the game and I hope I am proven wrong that this is all a bad mistake.

lornalove
07.31.2012 , 05:46 PM | #154

That is all.

Beezzy
07.31.2012 , 05:47 PM | #155
F2P is going to kill whatever hope this game has. I've been a sub since Month 1 and was hoping it would be a good competitor to WoW. Guess not. =/ There goes the idea of actual Expansions coming out for the game. Super lame!

llonger
07.31.2012 , 05:48 PM | #156
Dejavu? I bought week ago new speedster Cannondale supersix. Nice road bike without subscription without blaster.
New story : How Peter Sagan killed SWTOR.

Jakarn
07.31.2012 , 05:48 PM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
" To that end, I am proud to say that we have a lot of great new content coming your way, and that it will be coming more frequently"

I just got a deja vu...
And people wonder why they don't comunicate with us, everything they say gets pulled apart.

Philbe
07.31.2012 , 05:49 PM | #158
I would like to see something special given to the VIP purchasers of the game who missed the opportunity to get the Collector's Edition. I'm unclear as to what the differences really will be between paying subscribers and F2Pers...

That said, I love this game and continue to love it. Just give us chairs to sit in...

Sir_Raston
07.31.2012 , 05:52 PM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEater View Post
My disappointment at this news cannot be conveyed with words.
This is my sentiment exactly. I've been down this road with LotRO and EQ2, I won't go down it with SWTOR. Sad too, as the game recently became fun again (decided to try the other side for a while).

I'm disappointed, not terribly, but still... Though I wish I could said I'm surprised, alas, I am not.

exileyourself
07.31.2012 , 05:53 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
I totally agree with that, bioware has just f'ed up there first mmo.