Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mistwaver
09.02.2012 , 09:54 AM | #1181
I see a big puddle of tears I need to mop up before it starts to drown people. Please wait while I return with my cleaning equipment.

Seriously people, it's 2012. We know this F2P model is here to stay. Just because a game goes F2P doesn't mean the game is ruined. Those who pay to play will not be affected, while it opens the game up to those who want to play for free with limited access. It's not like those who play for free are going to get in there and be able to enjoy everything you do as a paying customer. A lot of services are limited, and it looks like they won't even be able to participate in Operations. It looks like to me the free to play model is being suited for those who just want to get in there and play through the class stories.

By boosts, I'm sure they mean experience boosts, and I'm sure they won't be all that expensive. I know as someone who works a lot and doesn't have much time to play, I will certainly be taking advantage of the boosts. It's not like those buying items are going to have an advantage in combat, because I just don't see them adding combat items to the store.

Styxx
09.02.2012 , 10:20 AM | #1182
Quote: Originally Posted by Barbarola View Post
if everyone would stop thinking about the negatives and look towards the positives a lot of good will come from this

Of course. They couldn`t save their own jobs, while having a sub game.. with those famous monthly content patches.. and we should fully expect them to deliver the same quality with less people. Yep... no negatives at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

GalacticKegger
09.02.2012 , 12:27 PM | #1183
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
Of course. They couldn`t save their own jobs, while having a sub game.. with those famous monthly content patches.. and we should fully expect them to deliver the same quality with less people. Yep... no negatives at all.
Spread that love to the community!
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Styxx
09.02.2012 , 01:04 PM | #1184
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Spread that love to the community!
I`m still subbed, aren`t I?
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

BrotherJohn
09.02.2012 , 01:05 PM | #1185
what i find really funny here is all the posts that say oh i wont be paying and will play when i want cause i was a paying customer. sad day when you log in and you want to experience that world event or run an ops and whoops you cant cause your a F2P player.

if it was F2P and just the store no subscription option I would be like cool yep that will be how I will be playing. the issue here its not really true f2p its more like what they currently have but a larger level range. they already do the trial and honestly that is what this model is but re branded to make people say wow now i can play free.

in the end you will be paying the subscription if you want to run more than the planet quests when you reach 50.

Now the real question is what will the store really have, cause right now with the super LAME CE store I can say completely they have not a clue what should or should be in the store.

GalacticKegger
09.03.2012 , 12:55 AM | #1186
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
I`m still subbed, aren`t I?
One would have to assume I suppose. Guess I just don't understand why someone would pay $15/month for forum PvP. Doesn't slamming something at every opportunity get old after while?
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Styxx
09.03.2012 , 04:21 PM | #1187
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
One would have to assume I suppose. Guess I just don't understand why someone would pay $15/month for forum PvP. Doesn't slamming something at every opportunity get old after while?
I`m not slamming anything. But I won`t pretend everything is great all of a sudden, now that the game switched to F2P. The ONLY good thing is the supposedly larger player base it will bring. I have my doubts about the overall ... quality of the new faces, but, ultimately, more players is a good thing.

There is no secret I hate F2P games. My posting history is full of examples as to why I have this opinion. Even so, I am willing to stick around and still pay a sub, because I still have friends that still play and I am still having fun, or finding stuff to do.

There is, however, the question about EA and BW`s credibility. There is the question about EA`s.. habits, as a whole. Even if we exclude those, we have Bioware`s policy of stalling, which I don`t like. We have Bioware that uses very many words to say very little, which Bioware failed to deliver on almost everything it said it`ll do. I am expressing an opinion, just as everybody else does. But, at this point, I won`t believe anything else than solid facts and treat the words for what they are - hot air; hoping for the best and getting ready for the worst, as the word goes.

Invictos
09.04.2012 , 01:22 AM | #1188
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The closed minded toward a move to Freemium models for MMOs are simply ignoring the market data.

One simple summarized example of market data (there are many if you actually care to seek and understand):

http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/07/1...nues-increase/

If WoW launched today, in this marketplace, it is extremely likely they would not only see the attrition curves that SWTOR and Rift (yes folks both games have almost identical subscription attrition curves since launch) but that Blizzard would also pursue a Freemium model early in the life of the game, if not at launch. The only thing that insulates WoW from the market forces right now is the "invested player base". By invested player base I mean the large number of players with years of time and progress invested into the game who simply won't abandon it. They do sub/unsub with each expansion cycle though.

Further, WoW could still succumb to pressure to convert to Freemium. Setting aside their Asian accounts (which number ~ 6-7M and never were subscriptions, they are token based pay-2-access) the US/EU subscriber based has suffered 2M losses over the last 12 months (which is ~ 40% of their paid subscription base). Once their panda expansion cycles the subscriber base, then the real pressure for them begins.
I feel entitled to point out that the above-quoted is an excellent post.

Grmp
09.04.2012 , 06:56 PM | #1189
You can not just Clone WoW for the major part of your game ! (maybe someone still has the link where the producer openly says he thinks it would even be the only way to do so)
A Point "the Suits" never realized that WoW didnt just get the player base it has out of thin air

one of the reason GW2 will likely be there for a long time is because it is anything but a WoW clone
(not even considering the fact they did that all with out subs in mind in the first place)

The Level of Quality and attention to detail Gw2 offers is what I would have expected of BW
Had higher hopes for SWtor than to be a f2p WoW clone

FreePrometheus
09.04.2012 , 07:05 PM | #1190
Well, from what i've read, it seems that the F2P wont be as bad as i thought it COULD be. They are indeed looking after the subscribers. And, its true that F2P will open it up for people who are either unwilling or unable to pay the sub. I know a few people in that position that would love to play SWTOR.

I can see this working. One satisified fan here