Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Saedin
08.16.2012 , 07:13 PM | #1131
Lord of the Rings does this exact same thing and is better for it, because you can use your currency to permanently purchase the areas you play in, and all the while it is free to play. If Star Wars follows suit and builds in a way to earn cartel coins from playing the game like Lotro then that will be cool, but if its just free class quests to lvl 50 but no FPs or WZs or planet quests, ultimately forcing you to buy content or grind endlessly it will fail.

SpartanVII
08.17.2012 , 11:46 AM | #1132
Wow...if this goes through...well yeah that will be the end of my subscription.

ARCHSHADOWMAGE
08.18.2012 , 11:48 AM | #1133
I'd like to see a lifetime payment option. I know there are some that don't like it but I do. I like knowing I am not paying anymore and I can play whenever I like.

jbladder
08.18.2012 , 12:06 PM | #1134
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
I wish the investors would just look at the forums, I would like to see what they would say during an investors call after seeing the forums.
Half of the investors are *********** old people. You don't get rich enough to invest if your actually in an investors call at young ages.

Why would a bunch of senior citizens give two craps about a game this or any other as long as it makes profit for their tidy little pockets? Believe me they don't. I have an older uncle that is an investor in multiple large corporations a couple of them do some unsavory things to make money but that is another discussion... he basically laughs about it. I heard him utter these words once:

"**** those idiots if I am rich what do they matter?" and followed by, "I could care less how they make money as long as they make it for me..." the second went on into a tirad about lazy immigrants taking good jobs and blah blah yadda yadda. He is a tool. Much like most of the investors are as well

Do you think the poor run ****?

brandonvi
08.18.2012 , 01:15 PM | #1135
looks like guilds wars time is soon..... already have most of my guild asking if i have the game and what server i plan to be on been planing to stick with SWTOR for the long hall but with FTP coming and everyone else leaving i think i am going to go to GW2 for a while then maybe back to WOW atleast they let me have addons

Carotub
08.18.2012 , 04:19 PM | #1136
when can we can space pvp with ships? what about tokens for digital deluxe players? can you still pvp and do operations at 50 with free to play? When can we get new character class? Can you balance the crew skills a litlle more so the people who don't have augment making skills can make a decent amount of credits? Can you release schematics for the special color crystals, like blue and black?

08.18.2012 , 09:56 PM | #1137
Quote: Originally Posted by ARCHSHADOWMAGE View Post
I'd like to see a lifetime payment option. I know there are some that don't like it but I do. I like knowing I am not paying anymore and I can play whenever I like.
Lifetime Subscription option gets my vote also. +1

Krenee
08.20.2012 , 03:25 PM | #1138
This is the best thing they could do to make this MMO the top MMO in existance. This will make the game larger and for assessable. I feel that this will be a great move from a business stand point and from a player stand point. I just hope they have an option where if you can't pay for a month you can switch to a free to play option until you want to pay again. I am so excited and have already shared it with all of my friends and family that want to play the game but can't afford the monthly subscription at this time. Good move Swtor! Don't let anyone talk you out of this move!

Leeaustin
08.21.2012 , 03:51 AM | #1139
If U wanna see what free to play does to a game check out STO (Star trek online) when we were paying there were talk about more content etc.

As so as f2p came everything stopped and it turned into a store game i.e go to the ingame shop use real money to by crap for the game.

They have just brought out season 6 with guild starbases and 54 new ships, thats about all f2p does.

As so as people stop paying the developers dont have a reason to keep making content.

I bet you that when F2P hits no more content or it will take for ever to get anything!!!!!!

Disappointed

Sorwen
08.21.2012 , 12:28 PM | #1140
Like others I'm not the least surprised(though I figured they would try to sell lifetimes before going F2P) and I'm not the least upset that it is going F2P. I do think it ignores the problem rather than fixes it. It is sort of like the doctor proscribing pepto for an ear infection. One of those being repetitiveness. Until they can alleviate the problem of both the over repetitiveness in leveling(which they have started doing) and the extreme repetitiveness of the end game not much is going to change except the amount of those that move to F2P(or still quit depending on the restrictions). Then there is the whole list of other things that still need fixing(day 1 bugs still in, some classes nerfed until they are unenjoyable now, etc). Free to Pay isn't just some magical words you can speak over and MMO and expect it to fix things.

Edit: On third thought how do you figure you have enough content to limit anything?
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)