Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Comstrike
08.15.2012 , 10:22 PM | #1121
The profundity of ignorance and delusional elevation of expectations, to service self-righteous indignation in MMORPG forums, never ceases to amuse and annoy.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Lleyto
08.15.2012 , 10:58 PM | #1122
Quote: Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
The profundity of ignorance and delusional elevation of expectations, to service self-righteous indignation in MMORPG forums, never ceases to amuse and annoy.
I sincerely believe that you are the only self-righteous person hoping to find profundity on a MMORPG message board sir. Further throwing sesquipedalian disdain for people who are merely discussing a topic in an open forum with light-hearted, fair minded and supportive spirited nature shows just how much more ignorant and delusional you actually are. . .. talk about "annoying"

Lleyto
08.15.2012 , 11:02 PM | #1123
Quote: Originally Posted by QueranRemnants View Post
What about the timecards? I don't have a subscription but I buy the 60 day cards when I can. How much I have differs from month to month, so I cant get a subscription. I've never run out of game time doing this, but it probably wont count toward the new system will it?
Time cards are the same as using a regular credit card to pay for your account bud. You are considered a subscribed player except you do so in two month increments now all you have to consider is if you want to continue to purchase and use the cards or when the current one you have runs out if you want to switch to F2P (I'm sure the difference between your subs expiration and the actual start of F2P will impact that).

Comstrike
08.15.2012 , 11:05 PM | #1124
Quote: Originally Posted by Lleyto View Post
I sincerely believe that you are the only self-righteous person hoping to find profundity on a MMORPG message board sir. Further throwing sesquipedalian disdain for people who are merely discussing a topic in an open forum with light-hearted, fair minded and supportive spirited nature shows just how much more ignorant and delusional you actually are. . .. talk about "annoying"

I totally have to write down "sesquipedalian," that is absolutely "forum gold."
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Lleyto
08.15.2012 , 11:12 PM | #1125
Quote: Originally Posted by SithInitiate View Post
i actually have mixed reservations about this. the main concern i have is that they are NOT going free to play. its pay to play. BIG difference. games like DDO, LOTRO, DCUO, Champions, etc. those games are free to play because you dont have to pay a single cent to download the client and start playing.. yes, there are restrictions (just like with swtor), but the client is free. hence free to play.

with swtor, new players coming in will still have to pay $15 to start playing. the client is NOT free. hence PAY to play. its basically guild wars 2 lite. and IMO, GW2 does it better because you get access to ALL the content and features, nothing is left out. they do have a cash shop.. but its not much different than games like WoW. all the pvp stuff, quick travel features, etc are all accessible

imo, if swotor was going to go free to play.. actually have it free to play. my suggestion would be the following:

you can download and install the client completely free.
players have access to the story for their first character, then charge something like $4.99 for each additional slot.

if you have an existing account but are unsubbed, all characters are still on the account, but you only have access to one of them (you choose), unless you pay the $4.99 for the slot or sub.

then go from there.

but the way they are doing it just seems off.. its going to divide the raiding and pvp community into pay and non-pay groups, guilds will have to worry about if players have access to the content they want, etc. i just dont get what bioware and EA are trying to do.
I hardly know where to begin except with, wow dude you're way out there aren't ya? >< they're GOING Free2Play, didn't say that SWTOR was / is F2P . . . . knowing that they are . . . future inference there . . . intending to, not having done so yet. . . going free to play they have discounted the game to the 15 bucks and given those who purchase it from Aug 7 forward . . . UNTIL the time when they ACTUALLY go F2P. . . the opportunity to "buy in" to advanced opportunities (again knowing that they intend to go F2P) to rake in some extra Cartel Coins and perks for the game ( <whisper> it's another marketing ploy, just so you get that part ) . . .

More so, I really find your "ideas" about where you'd go with F2P and this game naive and financially unsound, could you imagine being a previously subscribed player with 4+ characters, working the better part of the past year to develop them and then all the sudden having them ripped out of your hand and held in random for 5 bucks a pop? >< Maybe you should think a bit more about your proposals before writing a small book of absurdities and misaligned ideas . . .

Just to recap . . . the are ! ! ! ARE ! ! ! going . . .future tense . . . free to play . . . they aren't ! ! ! ARE NOT ! ! ! ! CURRENTLY . . . right now . . . free to play, its just discounted until such time as they announce the actual launch of F2P . . . i'm positive at THAT time you will be able to down load and play the game just as you would any other free to play game ><

Lleyto
08.15.2012 , 11:13 PM | #1126
Quote: Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post

I totally have to write down "sesquipedalian," that is absolutely "forum gold."
hehehe i'm glad you took it in the same nature as it was intended, which is what i hoped your initial post sought

Styxx
08.15.2012 , 11:19 PM | #1127
2.4m players bought the game, in its variations: 150$ CE and 60$ standard. Out of those, 1.7m actually subbed. In december of 2011, 1.7m players were willing to pay 15$ per month to play.

It was never a problem about getting players to actually play the game.. it was about keeping them. This was never a niche game, nor was it advertised as such:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/w...ublic-says-ea/

At the end of the day... this game is turning F2P because, past the hype about the VO and story... it`s just an average MMO with a Star Wars theme.

Average MMOs don`t sell too well for some years now.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

SinFiend
08.16.2012 , 09:20 AM | #1128
I didn't spend the time reading all 100+ pages of posts in this thread so some/all of this may have already been said.

1. The FTP option is really not that big of deal. I have read many threads saying that will destroy the game. How? It will just bring more new players in. The current subscription players will still do what they do now. I don't understand how more new players will destroy the game. If it's an issue of the quality of player, that's what they make the ignore option for.

2. This is absolutely personal opinion but those that complain about $15/month should really step back and look at what they are doing in real life. (short of the younger crowd who don't have a means to make money) I can literally just look around on the ground when walking through daily routine and collect $.50/day. As one post mentioned going to the movies costs more than the monthly subscription and you only get 2-3 hours of entertainment at the movies. If you are not getting 2-3 hours of entertainment a month from SWTOR stop flaming and move on.

3. People still compare every MMO to WOW. WOW has been molded for many years and has time to build its base, a starter MMO will NEVER measure to a successful MMO that been around for 8+ years. If this game makes it check it out in 7 years and compare it to WOW in its state now, then you'll have an arguement.

4. *My most important thought/concern* I have traveled through many MMOs and this turn does raise 1 major concern about a route I hope EA/Bioware does NOT take. Free to play is totally fine, PAY TO WIN is not. I have played multiple MMOs of both types, subscription based and free to play pay to win. I have even fell victim to pay to win. For those that may not know what I mean by pay to win, that is putting in a cash shop that allows people willing to spend money to be measurably stronger than those not spending. I feel pay to win would destroy the game. I know 50+ people that would leave instantly if that type of interface is put in place.

Any/all feedback is appreciated. Enjoy gaming.

limx
08.16.2012 , 09:30 AM | #1129
I for one am going to stopplaying now. I was excited in the beginning for this game, the antisapation wasgreat. But now 3 updateds into it, I have lost my love for it. I go on to buy other games ( Skyrim, Battlefeild, COD, etc.)and i stopped paying for SWTOR. And now i see them making half the game for free?! That is just a bit insulting. If you want to ge tmore people to play make it like this, F2P people dont get to buy stuff from the PvP market, the only get one speeder, and the only have the basic color crystals ( red, blue, green, purple). Dont make them only have one character or take a way the Legacy system. It should be all the same. Pay For Convience, yes. Pay For Style, yes. Pay 2 Win? That is were it breaks down. I will not play Swtor untill it all goes free.

SupremeLegate
08.16.2012 , 11:36 AM | #1130
Quote: Originally Posted by SinFiend View Post
I didn't spend the time reading all 100+ pages of posts in this thread so some/all of this may have already been said.

1. The FTP option is really not that big of deal. I have read many threads saying that will destroy the game. How? It will just bring more new players in. The current subscription players will still do what they do now. I don't understand how more new players will destroy the game. If it's an issue of the quality of player, that's what they make the ignore option for.

4. *My most important thought/concern* I have traveled through many MMOs and this turn does raise 1 major concern about a route I hope EA/Bioware does NOT take. Free to play is totally fine, PAY TO WIN is not. I have played multiple MMOs of both types, subscription based and free to play pay to win. I have even fell victim to pay to win. For those that may not know what I mean by pay to win, that is putting in a cash shop that allows people willing to spend money to be measurably stronger than those not spending. I feel pay to win would destroy the game. I know 50+ people that would leave instantly if that type of interface is put in place.

Any/all feedback is appreciated. Enjoy gaming.
I think your number 4 here answers your number 1, some people seem to be under the impression that F2P automatically means P2W. And of course there is always this simple truth; "Haters ganna hate."