Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

darth_doom_munky
08.09.2012 , 08:41 PM | #1051
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntercrom View Post
Personally, this is going to work for me. I'll continue to pay, but if I run into a bind where the funds may be needed elsewhere, I can afford to make the switch temporarily and not lose my ability to play, just lose some of the access points to the game, and that's cool too, I can deal with that.

This is a win/win situation. Keeps people in the game, keeps some people paying to get all the perks and allows those that can't pay or don't want to, with the ability to access the game. Hopefully this will all work out.

Can we get a definitive and absolute difference between the Pay to Play and the Free to Play versions out there? What are we giving up when we play for free and what are we gaining that makes 15 dollars a month worth while?
Yay positive comment. the other comments make me feel like im in the worst part of Nar shadaa

darth_doom_munky
08.09.2012 , 08:46 PM | #1052
Quote: Originally Posted by SidneyFault View Post
EA and Bioware are not having a booth at Celebration VI for the game... this just proves this is nothing but pathetic... they obviously don't want to get bashed by the fans or at least defend their actions...
I think its actually because they're too busy msking an awesome game even awesomer.... im not sure if what i just typed is even a word or if i even spelled it right.

SaipherZona
08.09.2012 , 10:22 PM | #1053
Quote: Originally Posted by darth_doom_munky View Post
I think its actually because they're too busy msking an awesome game even awesomer.... im not sure if what i just typed is even a word or if i even spelled it right.
I agree with you, besides that it was the "self proclaimed" fans who F***ed this game over. All the hype and positive feed back from us, hell I thought I heard back b4 launch that Bioware even went and bought more serves so they could keep up with our "supposed" demands. Game launches and ppl go back to WOW??!?!?! ***?!!? Play both imo, but don't blame Bioware for them getting F'd by us! SWTOR is FTW imo, I'm not fond of the F2P idea =( but I think I understand it. Sorry Bioware ='( Plz make it worth it for us subscribers =)

Rallock
08.09.2012 , 10:51 PM | #1054
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyLimbo View Post
might wanna check this http://www.swtor.com/free/features

um... I was commenting on someone else's post which I did include in mine.

Rallock
08.09.2012 , 10:57 PM | #1055
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryshard View Post
I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.

Stop monopolising the game EA.

I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.
oooh, ok. Sorry then-and yeah I hear you. I'm on the fence about the whole thing. Problem being they just don't have quite enough subs. I think if they had released the game with everything up till 1.3 things would be much different.-ergo more subs and subs on the rise-but unfortunately that didn't happen I like the idea of f2p simply so more people can come check up on the game-my thought is that this will keep more and more people coming as the game evolves. I think we all can agree that it takes time for a great mmo to grow which I know this one can and has the potential for so many awesome things yet to come

Tuscad
08.09.2012 , 11:30 PM | #1056
Quote: Originally Posted by darth_doom_munky View Post
Sure, they are working on their cash shop.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

MadBlue
08.10.2012 , 01:06 AM | #1057
Quote: Originally Posted by Montesano View Post
Thanks the announcement of free to play has all but killed my guild.
I don't understand how you just don't get it..maybe you need someone like me to come in and give some advice!
And the announcement has energized my guild, as we're anticipating doing a recruitment drive when F2P goes live. If you didn't read the worst-case scenario into things, maybe your guild wouldn't be on the verge of falling apart.

Ryshard
08.10.2012 , 02:28 AM | #1058
It's not often that I join a discussion then have my mind swayed along the way, however this is happening slowly.

I now see that F2P has the advantage of allowing players at max level to come back to the game and get a feel for it again, and hopefully decide to start subbing.

The cartel shop is starting to sound like the online Blizzard shop except you can actually buy the 'cosmetic' stuff from being loyal and just saving your points if you don't want to spend the money. It's seems a good way to reward loyal customers. I dont want to go back to WoW where my rogue will no longer be able to heal people...

The downsides are th grey areas... What might happen, what could happen and what shouldn't happen.

These have obviously been discussed already between ourselves and we just need more info... Come Mr Dev humour us a little please.

Ryshard
08.10.2012 , 02:39 AM | #1059
Quote:
Do you read any of the "Community Q&A's" from there? They happen every week. Dev's address questions from players.
Did I read the Q&As correctly?

Perhaps it's just my Fone not showing everything up properly (im at work) but was there only 4 questions answered.?And if that's true, they seemed to be the most insignificant questions they could possibly have chosen to answer considering the fact that proposed new content is coming out soon.

I'm gaining faith in F2P but losing it in the Devs.

Foxyfire
08.10.2012 , 03:48 AM | #1060
problems why they don't have player base

1.) once u get to level 50 and done everything they can do at that level nothing left no content for the higher levels
2.) space suxs you have no control over your ship same missions just harder, the missions are like playing starfox if i wanted to play that game i would , no space pvp on pvp servers, hint most players that played on swg used to customize their ships and equipment and lived in space to pvp and master space ships
3.) all the bugs and glitches they aren't being fixed they know they are there but nothing has been done about it.
4.) f2p to me is a bad idea makes us just like every other game instead of being a sub game
5.) this isn't wow nor swg but you've managed to mainly mimic wow and their combat style and stuff with a twist of swg...swg for one had a lot more content we went to 90 not 50 had space pvp and everything all around, as for wow honestly i tired it personally i've played games for yrs and i thought it suxed rappelz is better than wow maybe take hints of them, stop coping others styles and create ur own style for swtor
6.) listen to the community and players we play it daily and we know what is bad and good for players take hints from them that's was swg downfall when they made the nge they lost thousands of players because they didn't listen
7.) stuff was dummed down because of ppl whining it's too hard it shouldn't be easy why would u want to grind a toon and it take u less than a mth to do, the way beta was, was better than it is now cause now when u get to 50 and done all the stuff 50's can do they is nothing left for them to do.

if anyone wants to add to this u can but this is what i've seen going on since beta
Quote:
ONLY THE WEAK FALL
Foxyfire-Jedi, Wickked-Tailor, Downstroy-Elder Entertainer, -Foxyfire- - Entertainer, Renegade-Medic, Lonewolff-Elder Bounty Hunter