Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kimdante
08.09.2012 , 01:02 PM | #1031
I am a long time World of Warcraft player whom recently started playing TOR about a month ago. Thus far I absolutely love this game! - my highest level toon is 26, I probably would be higher but I'm super casual and have serious altitis. Because I have not completed any endgame perhaps my opinion doesn't matter but these are the observations of a potential new player recently discovering the game.

Anyhow, I've been reading through this thread and it looks like the reaction is more negative than it is positive. I am perfectly okay with free2play however what worries me is how out of touch Bioware seems to be with it's players.

For example: I have not seen any Bioware mods contributing to forum discussion ( I could name some of the WOW moderators by name that actively participated in forum discussion - which added to a sense that Blizzard actually kind of gave a sh_t about what we, the fans, have to say or our concerns) , I keep hearing about open tickets that stay open for days and days until eventually given up on. Certain classes continue to get unnecessarily nerfed/buffed with really no rhyme or reason. The Looking for Group feature is broken as we still have to contend with ninja's, bads, and having to travel back to our questing hub from Interfleet once the flashpoint is complete. All concerns raised repetitively in the forums and again, we are greeted with silence.

And it's this level of aloofness that is probably pissing off a lot of people.

Vanity items, mounts, and all of that - although cool -will not sustain a game unless there is community involvement and new content to go along with it.

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 01:14 PM | #1032
Quote:
Um..isn't that the point? If there is something on the Cartel Market you want and your a free player you can send some real money, maybe a little more than a months sub, and get it. While if your a subscriber you can either save up your stipend or you can also send some money right away and get whatever it is right away.

So long as what is on the Cartel Market does not give people an unfair advantage I simply don't see the problem. Especially if the money from the Cartel Market allows the Dev's to produce the content we the players want.
BOLD- There will obviously be an unfair advantage if real money is involved.

As long as the money stays within the cosmetic gear range it could be fine. As soon as it crosses into actual PVP/Raiding gear players will lose all faith in EA.

Jnight
08.09.2012 , 01:15 PM | #1033
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryshard View Post
I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.
Yes you can purchase Cartel Coins, but they are mostly to give customizable gear and convenience features. It's not a way to "pay to win" a term many people like to throw around these days.

What is the Cartel Market?
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6466

What are Cartel Coins?
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6467

I doubt much will change if they come back as F2P mate as they won't be able to progress past current content.
We will likely level new characters together from scratch if they come back.

Quote: Originally Posted by CygnusMX View Post
There are no real specifics on the free to play model.
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449 that's not enough for you? FYI there are further links within some answers
(LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE|[LIGHTSABERHILT]|LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE)

Real CE Owners put their text in black

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 01:17 PM | #1034
Quote:
I am a long time World of Warcraft player whom recently started playing TOR about a month ago. Thus far I absolutely love this game! - my highest level toon is 26, I probably would be higher but I'm super casual and have serious altitis. Because I have not completed any endgame perhaps my opinion doesn't matter but these are the observations of a potential new player recently discovering the game.
And the rest of your post...

I completely agree with everything you said and I'm in the same boat, ex-WoW and relatively new to the game. But like you I really don't feel like there's any interaction between the Devs and the players or even whether the Devs give a **** about what players want.

My own feelings obviously... I would be more than happy if someone could restore faith.

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 01:19 PM | #1035
Quote:
Yes you can purchase Cartel Coins, but they are mostly to give customizable gear and convenience features. It's not a way to "pay to win" a term many people like to throw around these days.
Ah that's fair enough then. Don't have an issue with that at all.

SupremeLegate
08.09.2012 , 01:19 PM | #1036
Quote: Originally Posted by kimdante View Post
For example: I have not seen any Bioware mods contributing to forum discussion
While I don't think they participate in the discussions much, aside form moderating, there is a weekly Q&A where the communities questions are answered, the one for this week is focused on F2P but they are usually more open ended.

I keep hearing about open tickets that stay open for days and days until eventually given up on.
To be fair I think the tickets are handled by EA and not BW. But I have had both positive and negative dealings with them, as with any customer services. The last ticket I put in I ended up talking to a rep within seconds of submitting the ticket.

The Looking for Group feature is broken as we still have to contend with ninja's, bads, and having to travel back to our questing hub from Interfleet once the flashpoint is complete.
To the first 2, I'm not sure what the dev's could do as that seems to simply be people being jakc-holes.

kimdante
08.09.2012 , 01:35 PM | #1037
I appreciate your thoughts, thanks for sharing! I honestly have no intention of leaving this game anytime soon as I am having ridiculousness amounts of fun absorbing the various stories, learning the classes, and laughing at the Imperial side dialog. Again, I am new-ish though.

Quote: Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
To the first 2, I'm not sure what the dev's could do as that seems to simply be people being jakc-holes.
Well because a lot of the gear is class/spec specific just limit who can roll need on what. It's a simple coding implementation - a plethora of if/then statements I would think. That would solve most of it. There is no reason why Bounty Hunters should have the ability to roll need on heavy armor which boosts Strength, etc.

But I think the biggest change I would LOVE to see is the ability to be ported back to where you were previously questing before you teleported into the flashpoint.

Nanala
08.09.2012 , 01:42 PM | #1038
Things I would probably buy from the Cartel shop:

- Empty Orange Adaptive Gear
- Armor Dye
- Ship Appearance Changes
- Getting rid of a Companion (Seriously)
- Single-run flashpoints (IE one run per unlock)
- Planet VIP lounges (with a GTN and PvP quest terminal inside)
- Extra character slots

Things I wouldn't mind seeing in the Cartel shop but probably wouldn't buy:

- Speeders
- Pets
- Extra cargo space
- Extra Emotes
- Character renaming
- Character appearance changer

Things that would make me angry to see in the Cartel shop:

- Any gear with stats
- Stims or medpacks
- Leveling/exp boosts
- Credits
- Gear/skill Unlocks for F2P (seriously, don't do what EQ2 did)
- Legacy Unlocks
- Content that would normally be part of an expansion or GU

One last plea -- Please make the cartel currency TRADEABLE. Let people post it on the GTN, even. This will let the cash-strapped people to get the shiny new speeder. And people *will* buy cartel coins just to sell them. Allowing cartel currency trading won't ruin the economy like buying credits outright would, helps prevent scamming, makes the cash shop more accessible to the masses, and will make the F2P people feel not like outcasts. And since ultimately all the cartel currency will still come from either a subscriber or from someone paying cash, it really doesn't matter that person A bought the cash and sold/gave it to person B.

BernRod
08.09.2012 , 01:49 PM | #1039
I came from Star Trek Online that was my first true MMO experience. I became a lifetime member then they pissed on me by making the game free with perks not nearly worth what I paid for. I'm not hating as I still once in a while enjoy the game. But I haven't played as much since it became free to play. As they appear to charge for everything new coming out that you wold really want such as ships.

So for TOR I've only been playing for under 2 months now and I haven't invested too much money as I had an itch for the free game play was coming, just not this soon. Does it help..kinda...I do see more people playing STO since it became free so that is nice to see.

So what does Free to play mean to me.
I will have to pay $25 or so to get a new ship.
It will cost me more money if I want something that is cool, hip or even nostalgia feeling such as x-wing or other memorial ship from the movies that may come out.
Overall I'm just glad SWTOR didn't offer lifetime membership.
"Yo ho ho Joe"

Jnight
08.09.2012 , 01:53 PM | #1040
And the rest of your post...

I completely agree with everything you said and I'm in the same boat, ex-WoW and relatively new to the game. But like you I really don't feel like there's any interaction between the Devs and the players or even whether the Devs give a **** about what players want.

My own feelings obviously... I would be more than happy if someone could restore faith.
http://www.swtor.com/blog

Do you read any of the "Community Q&A's" from there? They happen every week. Dev's address questions from players.

Or have a look at these:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/new-commun...cker-summaries
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=459255
(LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE|[LIGHTSABERHILT]|LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE)

Real CE Owners put their text in black