Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cymerian
08.09.2012 , 11:17 AM | #1021
I hope this is the right place to ask these questions. My personal financial situation has changed thus preventing me from being a subscription member,

1) Has there been a month noted as the release for the F2P addition?

2) I'm confused at to what lvl F2P will be, is it 15 or 50?

Thank you.

Clonefo
08.09.2012 , 11:18 AM | #1022
i need all players on darth wind corrir

Jnight
08.09.2012 , 11:41 AM | #1023
The majority of replies in this thread are ridiculously uninformed and filled with angsty rage. It's laughable.

Please before you complain about something, learn about it. There are a few official sources (what F2P players will have access to, etc., http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449 ). Opinionated arguments based on wild speculation will just make people think you are an idiot.

Asking for Dev input on incorrect things you state as fact is not the way to get a response. And saying that they developers have no community involvement is just silly. The Community Q&As are great and miles above many other companies. Every week I read something that makes me believe the communities concerns are being heard. You just have to remember that not every harebrained idea is going to be implemented just because you think it should.

Complaining about free players being able to level to 50 and not some lower number will be of little consequence later this year when level caps are set to increase.

Saying X happened in Y game when it went F2P has no bearing here when its not even the same type or scale of game.

100+ pages of mostly garbage makes my head hurt. Personally I'm excited about F2P prospect because it means that some of my friends that have stopped playing will come back (at least for a while) to see what's changed.
(LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE|[LIGHTSABERHILT]|LIGHTSABERBLADELIGHTSABERBLADE)

Real CE Owners put their text in black

SupremeLegate
08.09.2012 , 12:34 PM | #1024
Quote: Originally Posted by cymerian View Post
1) Has there been a month noted as the release for the F2P addition?
To the best of my knowledge F2P will happen in November, but I don't have any official source on it.

Quote: Originally Posted by cymerian View Post
2) I'm confused at to what lvl F2P will be, is it 15 or 50?
F2P will be all the way up to level 50, the trial which is out right now is only to level 15.

There's certainly a lot of wild speculation and assumptions going on in here, not that there is a whole lot of information to go on at the moment.

Something I don't get, what's the big deal about F2P being able to get to level 50? Personally if they limited how far I could progress in the story would make me not to want to even bother, it would be like watching a movie and then halfway though having to spend more money to see the end of it.

Another thing I just don't get is some peoples attitude toward the freebie's, like their some sort of blight on the game. The big 'fear' is what, that some will be asinine in general chat? Not sure how to break it to ya, but there already are asinine people in general chat, in this thread too for that matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that this game IS going F2P, nothing anyone says here will stop that.

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 12:42 PM | #1025
Quote:
Uh... so everyone should be able to play this game for free?... get everything for free?...and have access to all content for free?... so, who's paying for the upkeep of the game at this point? the servers? the employees? the incentive to keep coming out with new material?
I wasn't saying go free, I was simply stating that it should stay as it is. Everyone pays the same, everyone gets the same experience.

The problem is with MMOs like this is that they need regular upkeep, constant updates to keep the game alive. What I don't understand is the reason to change things. Are they honestly not earning enough money? Millions of people that paid 40+ per game then additional subs each month. Surely the upkeep is paying itself tenfold...

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 12:47 PM | #1026
Quote:
Another thing I just don't get is some peoples attitude toward the freebie's, like their some sort of blight on the game.
I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.

Stop monopolising the game EA.

I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.

Ryshard
08.09.2012 , 12:50 PM | #1027
Quote:
Personally I'm excited about F2P prospect because it means that some of my friends that have stopped playing will come back (at least for a while) to see what's changed.
I doubt much will change if they come back as F2P mate as they won't be able to progress past current content.

CygnusMX
08.09.2012 , 12:52 PM | #1028
I think its a matter of preferance, commitment to a game that matters most.
There are a variety of must haves,casual,hardcore,competative pvp'rs,the co-op casuals and hard core,guilds.
I dont care all that much and not really dependant on swtor as my only gameing entertainment
I'de say im casual so free to play might fit my preferance.
time alotted to game and what im in the mood to play in my library is most important.
Yes I pre-ordered , was here at launch and paid my sub for 7 months.
There are no real specifics on the free to play model.
I think level 50 free play is fair
Some of the free play limitations for free play seem fair.
And access to all class story lines is fair especialy if you pre-ordered,were there at launch and subscribed since the beggining and paid for the game as a whole from the start.
There was no coffee, and to survive you had to sift through the hair on your girlfriend's back for lice as a source of nutrition ...If she waxed her back you'de die

Sir_Raston
08.09.2012 , 12:56 PM | #1029
Quote: Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
To the best of my knowledge F2P will happen in November, but I don't have any official source on it.

F2P will be all the way up to level 50, the trial which is out right now is only to level 15.

There's certainly a lot of wild speculation and assumptions going on in here, not that there is a whole lot of information to go on at the moment.

Something I don't get, what's the big deal about F2P being able to get to level 50? Personally if they limited how far I could progress in the story would make me not to want to even bother, it would be like watching a movie and then halfway though having to spend more money to see the end of it.

Another thing I just don't get is some peoples attitude toward the freebie's, like their some sort of blight on the game. The big 'fear' is what, that some will be asinine in general chat? Not sure how to break it to ya, but there already are asinine people in general chat, in this thread too for that matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that this game IS going F2P, nothing anyone says here will stop that.
The biggest issue isn't what the free people get, it is what will EA do with the cash shop and how required to compete (especially for those of us on PvP servers) will items be. If they are strictly convenience items, that isn't a big deal, it is when they cross that line (to increase revenue) that it becomes a problem. When paying a monthly sub doesn't allow you the chance (not guarantee you the right of access, but even the chance) to get any item in the game (ie, you have to spend above and beyond the monthly fee) to get access to items/gear/etc to compete, it becomes a problem. When they start putting things on the cash shop that should belong to crafters or quests, you start to have a problem.

To this date, I've not seen a single F2P (aka Pay to Win) game that hasn't crossed this line at some point and to some degree. I've been through two of these hybrid games (LotRO and EQ2) and the resulting game after the change sucked compared to the start of the change (cash shop constantly in your face, all but forcing you to buy things to play the game, etc). I simply fear (since no info has been released on this part of this change yet) that this will be the case, because at this point, I do not trust a game developer (especially EA) to get this right.

SupremeLegate
08.09.2012 , 01:00 PM | #1030
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryshard View Post
If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.
Um..isn't that the point? If there is something on the Cartel Market you want and your a free player you can send some real money, maybe a little more than a months sub, and get it. While if your a subscriber you can either save up your stipend or you can also send some money right away and get whatever it is right away.

So long as what is on the Cartel Market does not give people an unfair advantage I simply don't see the problem. Especially if the money from the Cartel Market allows the Dev's to produce the content we the players want.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ryshard View Post
I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.
Hopefully this weeks Q&A will give us plenty of answers.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir_Raston View Post
The biggest issue isn't what the free people get, it is what will EA do with the cash shop and how required to compete (especially for those of us on PvP servers) will items be. If they are strictly convenience items, that isn't a big deal, it is when they cross that line (to increase revenue) that it becomes a problem. When paying a monthly sub doesn't allow you the chance (not guarantee you the right of access, but even the chance) to get any item in the game (ie, you have to spend above and beyond the monthly fee) to get access to items/gear/etc to compete, it becomes a problem. When they start putting things on the cash shop that should belong to crafters or quests, you start to have a problem.

To this date, I've not seen a single F2P (aka Pay to Win) game that hasn't crossed this line at some point and to some degree. I've been through two of these hybrid games (LotRO and EQ2) and the resulting game after the change sucked compared to the start of the change (cash shop constantly in your face, all but forcing you to buy things to play the game, etc). I simply fear (since no info has been released on this part of this change yet) that this will be the case, because at this point, I do not trust a game developer (especially EA) to get this right.
See that I get, and even agree with. It's the people who harp on the F2Player's, simply because they play for free, that I don't get and that irritate me. As for games that have made the transition, the only other one I have played is STO. Up until recently I think they have done a good job with their C-Store, only recently has something come up that has made me question.