Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
07.31.2012 , 03:08 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Quote:
I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall. I’d like to give you some insights into why we made this decision, how it benefits you and how enthusiastic our team is about this new direction.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Pigdaddy
07.31.2012 , 03:46 PM | #2
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
EVERYDAY I'M TROLOL'ING
Australian CE pre-order.. THANK YOU AMAZON! [/CENTER]

Joushigun
07.31.2012 , 03:47 PM | #3
I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

BenjaminminU
07.31.2012 , 03:47 PM | #4
"Boosts" were mentioned as available in the cartel shop, what are boosts and will they affect combat in any way?
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

AlyxDinas
07.31.2012 , 03:47 PM | #5
I'm for it. More options means more players. I for one, will continue to subscribe. But I like the notion of expanding methods of experience.

TOR's issue, from a financial standpoint, was the inclusion of a box fee and sub. This doesn't get rid of the latter means of monetization. It adds another. I'll be curious to see what this means for the game itself and content generation.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Tylerlee
07.31.2012 , 03:48 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More
Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.
Darkstarz - [GoS]
Imperial Agent Sniper Rank 73
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)

SteppeMerc
07.31.2012 , 03:48 PM | #7
I hope that this will prove to be a positive change.

I am somewhat disturbed that no mention has been made of same sex romance, or the promised addition of Cathars to playable species. These features are of far more interest to me than a new pvp area.

Joushigun
07.31.2012 , 03:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Pigdaddy View Post
F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.
I seem to remember people saying the same thing about Star Trek Online...it seems to be doing pretty well since F2P launched.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen

xDementedx
07.31.2012 , 03:54 PM | #9
I will definitely enjoy F2P, because I will no longer be paying.
GeorgZoeller: "If we ever reach the point where every class thinks they are completely balanced and everything is great, I'll take the red pill and unplug from the matrix."

Raduaerosx
07.31.2012 , 03:55 PM | #10
Looking forward to see the goodies ! thanks for the info
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™Collector's Edition