Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

BogyOne
09.24.2012 , 05:16 AM | #31
That is really nice work! I got few questions after reading it:

1. Watchman priorities: you have placed Merciless Slash above Cauterize in priority. What is the advantage compared to opposite priority where MS has chance to refresh Cauterize? (with exception of situation where MS must be prioritized to maintain the stacks).

2. Combat, Blade Rush, do I understand it right?: Ataru strike always happens with BR (triggering Opportune Strike) and in addition increases by 30% (to 50% in total) the chance of next Ataru strike for next 6 seconds (providing that I do not use BR in this time span).

Thanks, Bogy

Aurojiin
09.24.2012 , 12:56 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by BogyOne View Post
1. Watchman priorities: you have placed Merciless Slash above Cauterize in priority. What is the advantage compared to opposite priority where MS has chance to refresh Cauterize? (with exception of situation where MS must be prioritized to maintain the stacks).
Putting Cauterize higher in the priority list would imply you're trying to refresh the cooldown on MS when it's already available...
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

BlznSmri
09.27.2012 , 04:57 PM | #33
That is really nice work! I got few questions after reading it:

2. Combat, Blade Rush, do I understand it right?: Ataru strike always happens with BR (triggering Opportune Strike) and in addition increases by 30% (to 50% in total) the chance of next Ataru strike for next 6 seconds (providing that I do not use BR in this time span).

Thanks, Bogy
1. MS does more damage than Cauterize with one hit, and the stacks are much more important to maintain.

2. Yes, you're correct. It's a big benefit to Master Strike.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

JediNg
10.01.2012 , 08:05 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
Thanks. We've been missing a decent PvE guide.

*Edit*: Also, I don't think anyone is going to razz you about not having a Focus section, since Focus is almost exclusively PvP currently.

**Edit**:

From the theorycrafting articles that I've read that is true. Strength gives ~.20 and Power gives ~.23 (both of those are rounded to the nearest .00). As you said, Strength also adds to Critical Chance (linearly instead of logarithmic [diminishing returns], I believe). The even bigger bonus which you didn't mention is that the bonus to strength is "double buffed." With both Force Might and Force Valor, Strength actually provides a larger average damage (which includes critical chance) than Power for any attack with a large damage Coefficient (basically all attacks with the exception of strike). Note: If I find the article again I'll link it.
Force might buffs melee, ranged, force, and tech bonus damage. Power is factored into all of those so force might is also buffing your power.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

BogyOne
10.03.2012 , 08:22 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
1. MS does more damage than Cauterize with one hit, and the stacks are much more important to maintain.

2. Yes, you're correct. It's a big benefit to Master Strike.
Thanks! I will try to improve my rotation with this info.

I was having concerns because long time ago I made some number crunching (probability / statistics) and it seemed that if you do not use BR within 2 max 3 GCDs after last Ataru Strike it was better to stick to Slash for higher damage especially if talented to crit. First test with combat logs shown however that BR spam > Slash spam and I could not get a grip what was the reason.

Two more questions:
  1. Would you always recommend STR > Power or once hitting a Crit cap of 30% focus on Power more?
  2. 30% crit cap is absolutely unbuffed or totally buffed?

Thanks!

BlznSmri
10.03.2012 , 09:17 AM | #36
I always recommend stacking Strength over power, because the more strength you have, the less crit raiting you require. That said there has been a number of people saying that once you're at around 2100 of your mainstat, the crit bonus hit's Diminishing Returns and its then better to switch to stacking Power. However, really the only way you're going to get to 2100 strength is if you're full campaign geared and fully buffed/ stim-ed.

And 30% Crit is the soft cap unbuffed.
APOSTATES

BogyOne
10.04.2012 , 03:31 AM | #37
Thanks again! I know I need to get back 5% with upgrade to lev 63 gear.

Maybe this graph will be little help with DR's. It is the illustration to my post on formulas here. Checking the graph, the value between 2000 - 2100 for Primary Stat (+28.5% bonus from PS) seems indeed the perfect moment to switch to stacking the (Unlimited) Power.

BlznSmri
10.04.2012 , 10:28 PM | #38
Thanks again! I know I need to get back 5% with upgrade to lev 63 gear.

Maybe this graph will be little help with DR's. It is the illustration to my post on formulas here. Checking the graph, the value between 2000 - 2100 for Primary Stat (+28.5% bonus from PS) seems indeed the perfect moment to switch to stacking the (Unlimited) Power.
While I think that graph is awesome, could you possibly scale down the x-axis so that it caps out at 2500 or something like that? There's just not enough of a stat budget to make anything really get close to 2500 main stat/ crit rating and would make finding the "Sweet Spot" visually easier.
APOSTATES

BogyOne
10.05.2012 , 03:16 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
While I think that graph is awesome, could you possibly scale down the x-axis so that it caps out at 2500 or something like that? There's just not enough of a stat budget to make anything really get close to 2500 main stat/ crit rating and would make finding the "Sweet Spot" visually easier.
Here you go, limits x: 2500, y: 30:Graph for Crit ratings would be useful in other scale too. If you would like to create some correlation tables "I have XX Strength buffed so I need YY Critical rating to get ZZ% crit" PM me and we can chat after weekend, it will be a lot of data though.

BlznSmri
10.05.2012 , 06:41 AM | #40
Here you go, limits x: 2500, y: 30:Graph for Crit ratings would be useful in other scale too. If you would like to create some correlation tables "I have XX Strength buffed so I need YY Critical rating to get ZZ% crit" PM me and we can chat after weekend, it will be a lot of data though.
This is entirely why I never did well in Stats or Calculus.... lol will do.
APOSTATES