Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

Xiij
08.01.2012 , 01:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
Crit and Surge "On Use" relics are a waste because of how easy it is to hit 30% Crit and 75% surge, you're pretty much better off to just use the BM/ WH Power relic with the On Use Power relic, getting all your Crit and Surge from Gear.
I was under the impression that on use relics of the same type share a cool down; is that not true?

LagunaD
08.01.2012 , 03:04 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
And while both specs have Talents that Auto-crit certain abilities, but there are only 3 abilities that auto-crit (Cauterize and Overload Saber burns with Zen, Blade Storm with Combat Trance) and they aren't "Auto-Crittable" often enough to make up for the impossible amount of power you would otherwise have to stack to counter the loss of dps from not having 30% crit chance unbufffed.
The average damage each ability does based on your stats, including crits, DR, etc, is just a big formula, and the formula says 300+ Critical Rating is not optimal. Only about a 1% worse than optimal, but not optimal.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

BlznSmri
08.01.2012 , 08:41 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
I was under the impression that on use relics of the same type share a cool down; is that not true?
The BM/ WH relics are Static (+103 power or +113 power). You don't have to click them to activate.

Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
The average damage each ability does based on your stats, including crits, DR, etc, is just a big formula, and the formula says 300+ Critical Rating is not optimal. Only about a 1% worse than optimal, but not optimal.
1. This thread is titled Basics. Not really worried about "Optimal" especially when "Optimal" is such a minuscule difference.
2. If you're wiping because you're 10-15 dps (1% of median Sentinel DPS range) short, you've got other things you need to look at such as group composition, healer gear and ability, tank gear and ability, and what's going on with the other three to eight DPS in your group.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

ArchangelLBC
08.02.2012 , 03:07 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
This is off topic but I saw you had posted a very handy graph where the extreme ends were basically what would happen if you could exchange all your power for crit and vice versa. I was wondering if you had a similar graph for power vs expertise as I'd love to see that. (Theoretical math is much more my bag than applied).
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

LagunaD
08.02.2012 , 08:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
This is off topic but I saw you had posted a very handy graph where the extreme ends were basically what would happen if you could exchange all your power for crit and vice versa. I was wondering if you had a similar graph for power vs expertise as I'd love to see that. (Theoretical math is much more my bag than applied).
I'll reply by PM to avoid taking the thread off on a tangent.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

Apeth
08.05.2012 , 07:35 AM | #16
Great guide thanks.

This should be a sticky
Jeracho/Jera-cho/Ezekeol ' Triumvirate of the Grey'- Masters of Light and Dark, Darths of the Sith Empire. Memeber of the Apostles of the Force - Red Eclipse.

Briljin
08.09.2012 , 12:44 AM | #17
Can you redo the skill trees in a site that works? Torhead is all messed up...

BlznSmri
08.09.2012 , 03:10 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Briljin View Post
Can you redo the skill trees in a site that works? Torhead is all messed up...
Will do, I don't know what's up with Torhead, it's being quite dumb...
APOSTATES

BlznSmri
08.14.2012 , 01:45 AM | #19
Updated to include Defensive Abilities and situations in which their use is suggested.
APOSTATES

Orarr
08.14.2012 , 09:17 AM | #20
Nice work but you may want to address your description of the Insight skill under Combat, we do have more than the one Force-based attack that you have listed. Again, nice guide.