Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

BlznSmri
01.23.2013 , 12:18 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by Elizar_Naki View Post
1. focus on Strength over Power, since Strength also contributes to crit. chance and Power doesn't (presumably, this would also translate to focusing on Strength over Crit Rating for the reverse reason, but I don't completely know).
2. utilize only the "basic" mod parts (mod part ## as opposed to mod part ##a or ##b) because you want to avoid any mod part that has more Endurance than Strength or secondary stats.
The reason being is because while Strength is arguably better than Power, the difference isn't at a 2:1 ratio. With the lettered mods you drop your secondary stat (Crit or Power) in exchange for your Main stat or endurance, however the increase in Main stat isn't greater than the loss of secondary stat. So, while you might raise your Strength by 15 points, you'll lower your Crit or Power by 29 which is a net 14 loss of your stat budget. Loss of your stat budget is lower dps whichever way you look at it.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

Elizar_Naki
01.23.2013 , 05:31 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
The reason being is because while Strength is arguably better than Power, the difference isn't at a 2:1 ratio. With the lettered mods you drop your secondary stat (Crit or Power) in exchange for your Main stat or endurance, however the increase in Main stat isn't greater than the loss of secondary stat. So, while you might raise your Strength by 15 points, you'll lower your Crit or Power by 29 which is a net 14 loss of your stat budget. Loss of your stat budget is lower dps whichever way you look at it.
I figured it was something like that, but like I said, I'm not a theorycrafter, so I never paid enough attention to notice if the numbers were offsetting each other enough to make the trade-off worthwhile. Thanks.
"The Force isn't supposed to be a quick solution to every problem...although it does help."

"Peace through fear and suppression of freedom isn't peace worth having."

IAmViiOLENT
01.23.2013 , 05:51 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Elizar_Naki View Post
I figured it was something like that, but like I said, I'm not a theorycrafter, so I never paid enough attention to notice if the numbers were offsetting each other enough to make the trade-off worthwhile. Thanks.
An easy way to always consider your stats as a DPS, Tank or Healer is this:

If it decreases your secondary stat budget you did it wrong. That simple rule will keep you in good stead for the most part, unless you decide to stack 900 crit just for da lols. In that case.... I don't really know, sorry about the remod bill? xD

soowonlee
01.26.2013 , 01:52 PM | #134
Quick Watchman question:

Assuming Mind Sear, Merciless Slash and Slash will finish the cooldown of Cauterize at their respective probabilities. Suppose I hit Cauterize and then MS, and MS finishes the cooldown of Cauterize. Will it make a difference whether I recast Cauterize right away, as opposed to letting it finish its ticks before recasting? Will one do more damage overall than the other?
Bartemaeus
The Harbinger - <Textbook Execution>
Bart's-vanguard, Bart's-cannon, Bart's-sage, Bart's-consular, Bart's-slinger, Bart's-sent, Bart's-jugg, Bart's-merc, Bart's-sorc, Bart's-agent, Bart's-sin

BlznSmri
01.26.2013 , 09:33 PM | #135
The issue with DoTs is that clipping them usually amounts to a DPS and Resource loss sense you're not getting the full damage of the ability. In the rare occasion that it does happen so that Cauterize comes off CD before the DoT falls off I'd have to say wait. You're going to want to soak up as much damage as you can from that burn.
APOSTATES

SalBasss
01.28.2013 , 06:59 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
In the rare occasion that it does happen so that Cauterize comes off CD before the DoT falls off
It's not really that rare, but I agree - don't clip, wait to reapply. It certain situations I may reapply early, but that's only if I know I have a chain of 3-4 abilities coming up outside of Cauterize.

LordRaeth
02.05.2013 , 11:20 AM | #137
Which would be the best tree to go with while leveling?

Xiij
02.05.2013 , 12:21 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRaeth View Post
Which would be the best tree to go with while leveling?
They are all good after 40, but getting to that point I'd recommend using focus (at least until 30ish). Focus is a really nice spec to level in due to it's ability to aoe well, as well as offer a balance between offense and defense. It is not impossible to level in any tree, so another suggestion may be to level in the tree you want to use after capping.

Personally I leveled in focus until 30, combat until 40, then watchmen to 50 (watchman is my endgame spec).

Just my opinion on the matter, do whatever you feel most comfortable with though.
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
[W]e really shouldn't feed trolls. They are like stray cats. Once you feed them once they come back. When you continue to feed them, they grow in numbers.

K_osss
02.07.2013 , 04:12 PM | #139
This whole thread is good stuff. Why no sticky?

BlznSmri
02.07.2013 , 07:35 PM | #140
There is apparently a "hands off" mentality on the classes forums so long as you're not trolling/ flaming (or calling someone out apparently...).
APOSTATES