Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Official F2P Announcement

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tickdoff-Tank's Avatar


Tickdoff-Tank
08.02.2012 , 03:19 PM | #781
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
I played DDO and it was the same way - could get to level 12 and then your options were limited getting to 20 unless you grinded enough to purchase packs from the freebie points from unlocks.

Letting people go to 50 is the 1 major deviation from the DDO model, and I think in this case, its the needed one given how story is crucial to the game. Smart move on their part.
They dropped that restriction a long time ago. You can now level to 20 in DDO without paying a dime. (note that 20 is the max lvl in DDO and is basicly lvl 80 or 100 depending on how you look at it)
"He uses statistics like a drunken man uses a lightpost: For support rather than Illumination." E. Lang

Snugsterr's Avatar


Snugsterr
08.02.2012 , 10:27 PM | #782
Well....I guess im going back to either WoW or gonna try out GW2. I just don't know anymore....
Trooper go PewPew!

Gaucho's Avatar


Gaucho
08.03.2012 , 02:04 PM | #783
It was the chosen one, the prophecy wow-killa

now its just another failed MMO that went F2P cause the 4th pillar was not enuf.

people are mad because they are disappointed with late group finder, late bug fixes and information of when the first season will start in PVP. Operations seem like overinflated version of flashpoints with no big storybehind it, compared to the lich king, ilidan or even the world destroyer.

The overcomplicated process to get good gear for the casual player is pointless and the KICK system from the group finder is unfair and chaotic.

ANIMATION
finally my biggest gripe: all the humanoid races available are clones of each other with different skins and the same animation for females and males while moving, in combat or idle.

Also the same animation for the proffesions while moving, in combat or idle.

What i loved about WoW and i am not sure if other MMOs have this is that all the races from the Tauren to the Gnomes had a different type of animation, there was a sense of individuality for the race you picked.

I wish the races in SWTOR had this type of individuality all across combat, running or idling and across classes as well. There seems to be animation going on with trainers in SWTOR so at least they arent as boring as other NPCs.

But it seems to me that the animation team at BIOWARE is not producing what they claim to produce: Quality Games. Quality games does not equal boring animation across an entire game. Some of the Mobs you fight in SWTOR seems more interesting that the characters ive made. I have compiled sith-bloods, chiss, the green people, humans, ratataki and cyborg people and they are all the same. Pretty freaking plain and is making my experience all the more dull when you add the things described above.

I understand BIOWARE wanted to copy WoW, it just seems that they didnt copy their best features.

When is BIOWARE going to introduce cross-server PVP and PVE (ops) because the community is non-existent in swtor as of today after server merges and transfers.

No one cares about the so-called server community. The game is now another F2P Item grinding mmo with who cares about story, press spacebar or be kicked.

Personally I am hitting GW2. Dynamic events and trinity death and non-geared dependant pvp is a winner for me.

Memos's Avatar


Memos
08.06.2012 , 03:52 AM | #784
By the way: limited character customization for f2pers,i mean ***...ROFL...i thought this was the limited character customization...they will get like 1 bodytype?...Attack of the clones...

Gannerstalack's Avatar


Gannerstalack
08.06.2012 , 09:48 AM | #785
I played EQ2 for 6 years and quit the day it went FTP. I won't do FTP games, if I did this one is not even close to the best FTP out there. I have never really played WoW but is it going to be the only game left that is not FTP? If so, WoW here I come.

The lack of content in this game was catching up with me any way.

Metajedi's Avatar


Metajedi
08.06.2012 , 10:34 AM | #786
There was a time where I would say game going F2P? Here comes the Death Rattle.

But honestly, its just not the case anymore, every game has a F2P option, it does seem to do better business then having only a sub model.

Even World of Warcraft has a limited F2P option up to level 20 I believe and some other limitations.
Why would Blizzard do this? They don't have a numbers problem that 's for sure.

Because Blizzard is looking at it as an extended game trial meant to entice people into subbing.
And that's exactly what Bioware is doing now, its essentially an extended trial, allowing you to play the game as long as you want on a very limited basis.

For every one new F2Per who levels 1-50 basically doing solo play because it looks like thats all they get, there will be 10 New F2Pers who get fed up with the limits and sub. This same model has worked time and time again. I cite Lotro as evidence, there game was dieing before it went with this nearly identical F2P system.

And when I saw Gandalf on TV yelling you shall not pay! I hopped online and downloaded it..it was a week or two before I got hooked and and started buying things from the Turbine store. The Cartel coins serve two purposes simultaneously, they reward people whom have already subbed with what I am assuming will be cosmetic purchases, bank slots, etc etc, and its a dangling carrot on a stick to the F2Pers whom have not yet subbed and it works by the way. Because when you say your neighbor wearing some cool stuff from the store suddenly those few bucks for coins doesn't seem so bad, its only a few bucks right ?


F2P is not the signs of a soon to be deceased MMO, its the new " cool" thing to do in the MMO developers club.
You will pay the price for your lack of vision!

rnmedic's Avatar


rnmedic
08.06.2012 , 10:35 AM | #787
F2p does not mean = failure. I think it = better game. I mean you get more char customization, perks, content and they respond much faster on fixes. For me just a better over all exp. Im reading that now that its F2p, many of the trollers are going to WoW one of the few remaining P2P left, which is fine if you like playing as a big cartoon with bad graphics. But even WoW is losing sub hand over fist. They have been around longer so of coarse they have more of a following. Wow is also testing the waters of F2P, hence you can play free till level 20. Thats how it all starts. For those looking at GW2, because of F2P, really, GW2 is a F2P model, just have to buy the game. Ready FOR F2P!!!!
V'fib
Atervis Legacy

rnmedic's Avatar


rnmedic
08.06.2012 , 10:38 AM | #788
Quote: Originally Posted by Gannerstalack View Post
I played EQ2 for 6 years and quit the day it went FTP. I won't do FTP games, if I did this one is not even close to the best FTP out there. I have never really played WoW but is it going to be the only game left that is not FTP? If so, WoW here I come.

The lack of content in this game was catching up with me any way.
I guess pretty soon you wont have any games to play.
V'fib
Atervis Legacy

Gungan's Avatar


Gungan
08.06.2012 , 10:42 AM | #789
Quote: Originally Posted by Metajedi View Post
There was a time where I would say game going F2P? Here comes the Death Rattle.

But honestly, its just not the case anymore, every game has a F2P option, it does seem to do better business then having only a sub model.

Even World of Warcraft has a limited F2P option up to level 20 I believe and some other limitations.
Why would Blizzard do this? They don't have a numbers problem that 's for sure.

Because Blizzard is looking at it as an extended game trial meant to entice people into subbing.
And that's exactly what Bioware is doing now, its essentially an extended trial, allowing you to play the game as long as you want on a very limited basis.

For every one new F2Per who levels 1-50 basically doing solo play because it looks like thats all they get, there will be 10 New F2Pers who get fed up with the limits and sub. This same model has worked time and time again. I cite Lotro as evidence, there game was dieing before it went with this nearly identical F2P system.

And when I saw Gandalf on TV yelling you shall not pay! I hopped online and downloaded it..it was a week or two before I got hooked and and started buying things from the Turbine store. The Cartel coins serve two purposes simultaneously, they reward people whom have already subbed with what I am assuming will be cosmetic purchases, bank slots, etc etc, and its a dangling carrot on a stick to the F2Pers whom have not yet subbed and it works by the way. Because when you say your neighbor wearing some cool stuff from the store suddenly those few bucks for coins doesn't seem so bad, its only a few bucks right ?


F2P is not the signs of a soon to be deceased MMO, its the new " cool" thing to do in the MMO developers club.
"Limited F2P to level X" is just another word of "trial account" or "demo". Something that has been around in every game ever (of the internet generation).

Gungan's Avatar


Gungan
08.06.2012 , 10:44 AM | #790
Quote: Originally Posted by rnmedic View Post
F2p does not mean = failure. I think it = better game. I mean you get more char customization, perks, content and they respond much faster on fixes. For me just a better over all exp. Im reading that now that its F2p, many of the trollers are going to WoW one of the few remaining P2P left, which is fine if you like playing as a big cartoon with bad graphics. But even WoW is losing sub hand over fist. They have been around longer so of coarse they have more of a following. Wow is also testing the waters of F2P, hence you can play free till level 20. Thats how it all starts. For those looking at GW2, because of F2P, really, GW2 is a F2P model, just have to buy the game. Ready FOR F2P!!!!
I have never seen a F2P game respond faster on fixes, especially after laying off half their staff.