Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Official F2P Announcement

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kourage
08.02.2012 , 08:19 AM | #771
I could actually go to Free to Play and lose nothing. I haven't run a raid in a long long time. I could level a bunch of characters to 50 for free and possibly sub again in a few months. It would be tougher to make credits though. I guess I'd have to do level 50 dailies a lot more.

I played LotRO when it was F2P. I guess it can get people hooked and persuade someone to buy & subscribe. Playing F2P leaves you missing a lot of features you wish you had. If you like the game, you'll spend money to have them. Really tough to play LotRO without spending and money or at the very least, doing the tasks to earn points for things like the ability to use their auction house and a mount or get more bag space. Or even for content. For some odd reason, EA has decided to give people everything short of raids for free. In LotRO, there were expansions, so leveling to max really required you to buy some content.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Valkirus
08.02.2012 , 08:25 AM | #772
Had to get this post copied and posted from a closed thread, because I thought it was said so damn well....made by The_Butler.....

." Back on topic yes I think it could have easily lost that many subs but I don't think its because of the lack of end-game but the lack of anything to do once you've completed the class quest for those not interested in Ops. I mean once your class quest ends in this game you might as well just switch the game off for that toon if you don't wanna raid. There's no acheivements, no crafting to grind, no deeds to solo, no places to explore so everything that made getting to level 50 fun just stops. So roll an alt or click unsub even if you loved the game.

Does not help as the Levelling process to 50 is just ridiculously quick! "

This statement in a nutshell sums up imo why the game lost so many subs and are now planning a FTP model.
Trust is something which is earned.

ZionHalcyon
08.02.2012 , 08:26 AM | #773
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
I could actually go to Free to Play and lose nothing. I haven't run a raid in a long long time. I could level a bunch of characters to 50 for free and possibly sub again in a few months. It would be tougher to make credits though. I guess I'd have to do level 50 dailies a lot more.

I played LotRO when it was F2P. I guess it can get people hooked and persuade someone to buy & subscribe. Playing F2P leaves you missing a lot of features you wish you had. If you like the game, you'll spend money to have them. Really tough to play LotRO without spending and money or at the very least, doing the tasks to earn points for things like the ability to use their auction house and a mount or get more bag space. Or even for content. For some odd reason, EA has decided to give people everything short of raids for free. In LotRO, there were expansions, so leveling to max really required you to buy some content.
I played DDO and it was the same way - could get to level 12 and then your options were limited getting to 20 unless you grinded enough to purchase packs from the freebie points from unlocks.

Letting people go to 50 is the 1 major deviation from the DDO model, and I think in this case, its the needed one given how story is crucial to the game. Smart move on their part.

Valkirus
08.02.2012 , 08:33 AM | #774
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post

Depends on how they do the FTP for returning subbers. LOTRO did it the right way. If you prevously had subbed, you was treated differently than the new FTP players. For example, I got to access all the content I did before I unsubbed and all my chars I was allowed under the FTP model ( 7 out of 9 ) could access that same content...free. The gold was limited to 4 g per account. But I had 12 gold and could still access all of it. Just could'nt earn anymore. Bank and inventory spaces? I never lost any I had allready paid for while playing. So if they treat the returning subbers the same as any other FTP player, they will be losing a lot..where as with the way LOTRO did it, I felt like I had not lost anything I did before.

ZionHalcyon
08.02.2012 , 08:36 AM | #775
Quote: Originally Posted by Valkirus View Post
Depends on how they do the FTP for returning subbers. LOTRO did it the right way. If you prevously had subbed, you was treated differently than the new FTP players. For example, I got to access all the content I did before I unsubbed and all my chars I was allowed under the FTP model ( 7 out of 9 ) could access that same content...free. The gold was limited to 4 g per account. But I had 12 gold and could still access all of it. Just could'nt earn anymore. Bank and inventory spaces? I never lost any I had allready paid for while playing. So if they treat the returning subbers the same as any other FTP player, they will be losing a lot..where as with the way LOTRO did it, I felt like I had not lost anything I did before.
Everything I have read thus far as more and more is coming in, is that this system is going to be a variation of the DDO/LotRO model, which is a very good move.

Valkirus
08.02.2012 , 10:50 AM | #776
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Everything I have read thus far as more and more is coming in, is that this system is going to be a variation of the DDO/LotRO model, which is a very good move.
But all I have read so far they are doing for the old subbers is giving them 150 Cartel points each month they have subbed. LOTRO did that and more. Letting them keep allmost all they had before they unsubbed. The only exception I can remember was the lost of 2 char slots.

_Corew
08.02.2012 , 11:12 AM | #777
I feel sick.. that's all

Blattan
08.02.2012 , 11:14 AM | #778
I thought about making a new thread about this... But I figure the "rabid fanbois" would troll the hell out of it. Besides, the topic isn't that important, just wanted to get it out there.

Subscription values "by the numbers."

After the last quarterly report, something bugged me about the "less than 1 million and well over 500 thousand" remark. Something kept making my brain itch. "Like a splinter in my mind." This thing kept telling me sub numbers were closer to 500K. But I couldn't put my finger on it.

Last night I remembered! Exponential decay. Sometimes referred to as "natural decay." It is surprisingly accurate, and found nearly everywhere. It is happening millions - if not billions - of times a second in your computer right now. But I digress.

This will, at best, be an estimation.

Sorry, but we weren't given very accurate numbers to work off of, and there are factors involved that we do not have access to.

But the exponential decay algorithm is simply (Starting Value) * (e [the natural log]) ^ [raised to the exponential] (-(time)*(decay constant))
Now, we don't know the decay constant, but fortunately we can calculate out an approximation. [Feel free to do it yourselves, for this post I am just going to go ahead and tell you I estimate the decay constant at about 0.25]
I am going to use (time) in a unit of months.

(2.4 million purchases) * e ^ (-1 month * 0.25) =
1.869 million subs after 1 month. Right there we can see that 0.25 isn't quite right, but is close enough.
(2.4 million purchases) * e ^ (-3 months * 0.25) =
1.134 million subs after 3 months. Again, not quite right. But pretty darn close.
(2.4 million purchases) * e ^ (-6 months * 0.25) =
540 thousand subs after 6 months.
And
(2.4 million purchases) * e ^ (-8 months * 0.25) =
325 thousand subs at the end of August.

There. My mind no longer itches. Make of it what ever you want.
EA/BioWare on the state of SW:TOR:
"Your piece of mind is my highest priority. Rest assured, this will be done to perfection." Account ended: 8/16/'12 (August 16th, for those "across the pond.") @ aprox. 12pm CDT

DarthTHC
08.02.2012 , 11:27 AM | #779
So since I was redirected here....

This is from an interview with Dr. Z in joystiq in late December 2011:

"I'm not saying it's better or worse. It just doesn't supplant the other things. 'Cause we can do some things no one else can," Zeschuk added. In his eyes, a free-to-play dev isn't able to throw the same amount of resources and time at an MMO project, and that marks a big differentiation between the two business models. "The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create," he said. The idea that free-to-play will take over all other MMO business models, he said is, "from a business perspective, ridiculous."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bi...-to-play-itera

And a better history originally linked by Rasticles: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo...1225612p1.html
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

rnmedic
08.02.2012 , 11:32 AM | #780
Im glad they have descided to go F2P. I ve only played 2 MMOs in my days, PS3 DCUO and SWTOR. I remember when DCUO went F2P everyone trolled it big time including me. but after it went F2P I found that it was the best thing they did. I held my sub for some time after, just moved to swtor to get a break from DC for a bit. Content updates where more often, and the population exploded and I liked the market it provided. It gave me more char customization/perks and it was not P2W at all. This is just the direction most MMOs are going, and it has been shown to be a successful model for the company and the players. Cant wait to F2P!
V'fib
Atervis Legacy