Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Official F2P Announcement

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AidenCast
07.31.2012 , 03:55 PM | #531
Quote: Originally Posted by cologator View Post
i could grind more then 500 tp in a week in lotro if i wanted ...lolz
Yep and there it is for people who moan about P2P MMO's being grindy, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Cancelled 1/8/12
RIP TOR - Another casualty of F2P

Vellem
07.31.2012 , 03:56 PM | #532
What an absolute disaster.
F2p games all follow the same formula; Start off with fluff items to whet the appetite and then gradually work in more and more items that give you advantages over players who decide to opt of of the store. I've seen lotro mentioned a few times in this thread and it is a perfect example of what you can expect to happen here. Mechanics removed from the game and added to the store as a "convenience", Certain items like potions that are far better than anything you can acquire in the game and can only be bought from the store, pvp players that can bypass months worth of grinding gear or abilities by simply buying them, and so on and so forth. lotro even has added in game advertisements to their store in the form of clothing dummies that sparkle. When you click on one it opens the store page in your UI. They release updates without proper testing that are full of bugs and glitches and have not fixed the majority of them

Lastly, f2p as a whole is terrible for the MMO genre. It changes the entire design goals of the game. Rather than focusing on things that will keep players interested (and subscribed) for the long term, the goal of f2p games is to get as many people to spend in the store as possible in the shortest amount of time. It is a model that doesn't rely on retaining player, rather it relies on player churn. Getting a player to try the game out for a month and drop two or three months worth of subscription money in the store before they get bored and quit. It might look good for the bottom line for some investor who is looking at the short term but the quality and content of the game Always suffers in the end from it.

So yeah, what a disaster. I'll be canceling my account when this is close to happening. Good luck to those who stick around.

BrandonSM
07.31.2012 , 03:57 PM | #533
This sucks IMO.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

JefferyClark
07.31.2012 , 03:58 PM | #534
Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
I am just wondering how the Cash shop will work. The point of a cash shop is we spend more money buying stuff in there than we do on the subs, but thats fine cuz we are playing the game for free and the new outfit I bought is mine and at least I got to choose it. However for this to work there has to be enough stuff in a cash shop to make it worth while. If its like a few outfits and a couple of pets its not going to make any cash.
That's the point. It won't. Vanity items in a cash shop alone can't make up for the loss in subs that they'll get for the F2P announcement. At some point, probably sooner than later, you'll start seeing crap like new tier 4 mounts that you can't get w/o paying, new lightsabers that do double damage, and special uber-armor that has both pvp and pve aspects on it, just like STO did with their +1 ships.
Jeffinas (Guardian)
Exceptional Legion
Prophecy of the Five

Glower
07.31.2012 , 04:00 PM | #535
Just found it:
"SWTOR goes to F2P"
http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg

AidenCast
07.31.2012 , 04:02 PM | #536
Quote: Originally Posted by Vellem View Post
What an absolute disaster.
Mechanics removed from the game and added to the store as a "convenience", Certain items like potions that are far better than anything you can acquire in the game and can only be bought from the store, pvp players that can bypass months worth of grinding gear or abilities by simply buying them, and so on and so forth.
I expect we'll see the P2W items like the stat scrolls from Lotro that you can buy from the store but "hey it's OK they drop in game as well", albeit at a drop rate so insanely low that people I know were grinding instances for hours on end every day and maybe saw one if they were lucky (that then had to be rolled on by the entire group).
Cancelled 1/8/12
RIP TOR - Another casualty of F2P

DuckKing
07.31.2012 , 04:02 PM | #537
This is for everyone that is still subbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjztsY5vHM

pogmahone
07.31.2012 , 04:03 PM | #538
I cant stop laughing right now! To all the TOR fan boys that said it wouldn't happen......what a bunch of dopes. Even STO lasted longer.

Goretzu
07.31.2012 , 04:03 PM | #539
Quote: Originally Posted by Holden_Dissent View Post
Apparently they DID listen to their fanbase. 40% of the people who cancelled wanted F2P.
60% who cancelled presumably didn't though.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Galvatron
07.31.2012 , 04:04 PM | #540
Quote: Originally Posted by JefferyClark View Post
Umm, we have seen. They promised monthly content after 1.2. We got zilch until 1.3 and zilch since then.

After 1.2 they decide to go FTP So they are naturally holding back until then.
Galvatron/OptimasCO Founder Sinister
"The trick in life is knowing when to pick your pain and for what reason"
Sith PVP - SWG pre-CU/NGE BLOODFIN