Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech Tanking

Mithros
12.13.2011 , 04:06 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kfags View Post
So here's a question, what skills besides the ones that directly say it are going to build aggro? I've also heard from some videos from the beta about aggro tables and having a specific order for them. I'm new to MMORPG's and so I'm also wondering how those work.
Damage builds aggro. Ion cell increases that amount of aggro, so that your damage counts for more than other people's damage for aggro building.

If another powertech has a different cell equipped, they will not build as much aggro as you do when they deal an equal amount of damage.
The problem is that they are probably doing more damage, so a tank needs that aggro multiplier in order to keep up.

So generally speaking, just do damage. Hit things, and with Ion cell equipped, you will generate aggro.

Things like neural dart are more situational. Yeah, you can use it just to use it, but it is of more use to just hold on to until someone decides to wander off and start beating on the group healer or a DPSer that outstripped the aggro that you had generated.

But I am here because of the beta.
My original intent was to play Republic, but I had a couple of friends that wanted to play Imperial come launch, so I decided that, when I got my beta invite, I would test out some Imperial classes and see what is what.

I very much enjoyed the story and the way that the class played. My favorite by far.
Mandatory referral link. Feel free to use it. It's free stuff.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

Elicas
12.13.2011 , 05:22 PM | #12
I played BH tank to about level 43 in the beta.
Elicas from Force Junkies and TankTelara! - Frostclaw EU PvE Elicas/Elikas/Rhovan
The Operative Guide
The Powertech Compendium
My Basic Tanking Guide

PDubs
12.14.2011 , 07:44 PM | #13
Nice to see new tank converts. I always used to play healers in almost every MMO I played and ever since the weekend tests I still can't get PT tanking out of my head. I tried playing a Jedi Shadow the next weekend stress test and boy did I feel squishy. The allure of this class is the survivability. Watching other classes get smacked around before I can get enough aggro was amusing and mind boggling at best but they'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

I only got to level 27 and I have to give props to Elicas for the great in depth PT tanking guide. If you let your CCers get their groove on the pulls will be much more fluid because we all know how chaotic it gets when you have that one person that isn't on the same page with understanding priority CC icons...but sometimes the chaos gets the blood pumping and there's nothing like having a group of mobs wailing on you while you shrug it off.