Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vígo's Guide to Vanguard Tanking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Vígo's Guide to Vanguard Tanking

Justcae
08.31.2012 , 02:24 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by RundoSim View Post
I don't have Energy Blast talented because I never go low on ammo and the damage from the attack isn't a great threat builder. I took Brutal Impact instead for the added 6% damage to HiB since it gets a 60% talented armor penetration.

This is my spec
You made me die a little bit on the inside. That's where it counts.

As noted by the previous poster...

1. HiB + Energy Blast are both on a 15s CD. Energy Blast operates outside the GCD. You can team them together.

2. Energy Blast damage > 6% HiB to the tune of roughly 1000%. Yes. 1000%. It's 10x's better (or more...).

3. Energy Blast refunds 1 ammo. Yay.

4. Energy Blast adds/refreshes your absorb stacks.

But really if you can't see this there is no helping.

Edit: Just looked over your spec again, you aren't even choosing 6% HiB damage over Energy Blast. You're chosing 3% HiB damage. Which makes this even worse.

_gideon
08.31.2012 , 04:01 AM | #32
I use sticky grenade. When I'm in FPs and there's some weak mob the DPS are ignoring it's a great little CC.

CitizenFry
08.31.2012 , 10:08 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by RundoSim View Post
Personally I wouldn't use that rotation. It doesn't start your cooldown on Stockstrike soon enough and using Energy Blast after using only a few ammo is a waste.

Sticky Bomb -> Storm -> Stockstrike -> Explosive Surge (1) -> Ion Pulse -> HiB -> Stockstrike (if it reset due to shielding, if not, Ion Pulse) -> Explosive Surge (2) -> Energy Blast
Using Energy Blast when you're at 9 or 10 ammo isn't a waste. Waiting until you're at 7 ammo or less is a waste.

I agree that your damage output will be a little higher if you put Stockstrike earlier in your opening, but damage output isn't your job. Your job is soaking damage. The opening I gave gets your shield maximized 4 GCDs after storm. Even if I move your Energy Blast up to the correct position (which would be "between" the first Ion Pulse and the HIB), your shield is only at 2 or 3 stacks after 6 GCDs.

And yes, like other people said, Energy Blast contributes much, much more to your damage output than pretty much anything else you can put talent points into.

eta: here's a long post I did, calculating how much offense I got or would have gotten out of various talents in a HM Kephess fight: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...96#post4973896
At the time I didn't even think about calculating the value of Energy Blast, because it seems so obviously good that I couldn't conceive of someone not taking it. But you'll notice in the linked log I did almost 27k damage over the course of the fight with Energy Blast. Compared to the value of a point in Brutal Impact: 765 damage. And that's without even getting into the ammo regeneration.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

_gideon
08.31.2012 , 10:40 AM | #34
Tanks certainly aren't there for DPS but in my guild the opening rotation is the (only) critical time for threat generation.

RundoSim
08.31.2012 , 10:34 PM | #35
I respecced today and took Energy Blast and Blaster Augs. When I did my tank spec I took into account the added ammo from Energy Blast but for some reason skipped over the added stack of Power Screen. You are all correct, it is much more beneficial than Brutal Impact. I had a lot more fun tanking SM EV today (new tank) as well and used less Hammer Shot, which is always better. I was able to get 4 stacks of Power Screen and had all my attacks on cooldown before I even had to use Hammer Shot.

Thanks for the wake up call

I'm not sure where you get the 3% from Justcae. There are 2 points in Brutal Impact +6%...but it's gone now, regardless

_gideon
09.01.2012 , 01:05 AM | #36
Energy blast is 1 point, brutal impact is 1 point per 3%. As you say, fixed now.

Raczo_liga
09.08.2012 , 03:41 PM | #37
The guide will be updated when Update 1.4 is released to reflect the changes to Vanguard's abilities, and any other relevant information.

Pannther
12.30.2012 , 02:24 AM | #38
Will bump this post...Was looking for Vanguard guides with Google and in found this...
Since im new to tanking it helped me allot.
Ty.

Pokupo
01.10.2013 , 11:12 AM | #39
This has worked for me on some pulls where there are grouped up mobs that you need to agro but you also need to CC some of them.

Of course this is more dependant on the type of CC you have available.

[Now I am a PT, not a Vanguard so some of the names may be different]

What I will do is Jump [Storm] into the group of mobs, and do a Flame Sweep to grab agro on what I need to and maybe even Taunt, then I have the Sorcerors use their CC while I walk away from the CC Mobs. This also helps that if a DPS breaks the CC by accident the Mob may run to me first before going ot the Sorcceror.

Once Clear I start using a AoE Threat Rotation so the DPS can start to AoE as well.

Another method, though not always available on all the Dungeons is to pull a mob then run around a corner to they all group up towards you. Then once around that corner you can Flame Sweep, Flame Thrower, or Death from Above [Mortar Volley]
When hunting defensles unarmed slaves for credits, the only thing I feel.
Recoil.

Two Slave Girls, one Hutt

BanJoGG
01.25.2013 , 07:00 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by _gideon View Post
I use sticky grenade. When I'm in FPs and there's some weak mob the DPS are ignoring it's a great little CC.
I have to say this is the most comprehensive guide to vanguard tanking I have ever read. Thank you.

Also I know people have said Explosive Round is something to ignore but I would disagree to a small extent. As with the quote it can be a useful tool to knock back normal and week targets that the DPS are ignoring that just might go for the healer. Yes it uses some ammo but it does a fair amount of damage. Don't get me wrong I don't use it a lot, maybe 2 or 3 times in a HM FP but it can be useful especially if followed by an Energy Blast and Rail shot to make up ammo spent.

I also use it at the end of an encounter to unload on targets to help out the DPS (especially if there fairly green) as you can recharge once out of combat.

Just my point of view.
Vanguards - We walk softly and carry a big gun.