Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The State of the Game - Via PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The State of the Game - Via PvP

Mackuss
12.19.2011 , 04:56 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by CHRISGG View Post
I like how you associate the GCD with arena, then don't explain why at all. That's a lot of words that explain absolutely NOTHING about your point.
If you didn't understand why being forced to critically think about your abilities creates more of a strategy-needed/fencing-esque dueling environment then I can't help you.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

Gaidax
12.19.2011 , 05:09 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mackuss View Post
I know on the wiki it says it's 1.5 seconds, but anyone who's got to level 20 in WoW can tell you that's not the case.
Except it is the case?

You can lower GCD with haste, but it requires a heavy amount of haste to get it to 1 sec flat.

I think your issue may actually be a fact that engine is rather unresponsive, WoW engine is awesome for PvP - abilities fire off when you complete a cast instant or otherwise. Here, on the other hand, there is a lot of delay (relatively) and it is a problem.

As a side note, you really don't HAVE to attack everyone who disagrees or questions your points. It does not serve your argument well.
<=======35m of dead pixels====.===>
"You don't need to be a better shot - you just need to shoot more bullets!"

Mackuss
12.19.2011 , 03:03 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
Except it is the case?

You can lower GCD with haste, but it requires a heavy amount of haste to get it to 1 sec flat.

I think your issue may actually be a fact that engine is rather unresponsive, WoW engine is awesome for PvP - abilities fire off when you complete a cast instant or otherwise. Here, on the other hand, there is a lot of delay (relatively) and it is a problem.

As a side note, you really don't HAVE to attack everyone who disagrees or questions your points. It does not serve your argument well.
I won't respond to your last part because you're trying to start a flame war.

However, yes WoW's engine is superior in responsiveness, you're being trivial about the GCD. lol, I'm sorry but the GCD is not 1.5 seconds by the time you even hit Silverpine/Darkshire/Barrens etc. I'm sure it's just that long at level 1 as a courtesy to create some sort of a learning curve. It's just inconsequential. Yes, the game is responsive as hell, but it also doesn't mean that 1.5 seconds just "feels like" a second in WoW - it's the fact of the matter, lol - to the point that it is stupid to even keep talking about it.

To compromise with you though, maybe they should make alacrity affect the GCD then. Because 1.5 seconds FIXED at much later level/end game, at what's supposed to be more action packed because people have more abilities, is not happening. I feel like it's pointless to even give us tons of abilities because we can only use a few in even 6 seconds time.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

Arkutan
12.19.2011 , 09:28 PM | #14
I agree with everything you mentioned OP.

Sykskar
12.19.2011 , 09:46 PM | #15
The GCD wasn't born because of arena or gameplay.

the GCD is in WoW and similar games like it because it's the only/best way of managing requests to and from the server.

if you cut the GCD in half then the game would experience double the amount of command inputs from the same amount of players, resulting in a massive drop of how many players an instance could support.

It's got nothing to do with arena, do not assume to know the industry and art of creating a game because you played a lot of WoW.
Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing! Victory or Nothing!

Thaonnor
12.19.2011 , 09:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
I am sorry, but I failed to grasp the point behind your post.

Elaborate, please.

For the record, WoW sports the same GCD system, the engine is more responsive though. I'll add that due to having no auto-attacks this GCD may feel a bit heavy, since you really spend a lot of time doing effectively nothing - I agree with that.
I fight with this feeling every time I play. The engine is very much less responsive than WoW and it hurts to play if you have spent even 5 minutes playing WoW. In WoW, I hit an ability when the GCD is up and it goes off. In SWTOR I hit it and have to hit it AGAIN in order to make up for the clunky less responsive combat engine.

A lack of auto attack, while kind of unique and requiring more player input, does make you feel like you are doing NOTHING a lot of the time. I find myself especially having an issue when a target is low health and multiple mobs are attacking it. First I wait the 1.5 seconds, then I try to get off the killing blow only to realize that it has been taken a second before my ability actually hits and effectively is wasted and I now switch targets and wait another 1.5 seconds to do anything. That is 3 seconds of doing nothing... that 3 seconds adds up.

iskxvx
12.19.2011 , 10:14 PM | #17
It's sad to think how much money and time was spent on the creation of swtor and yet it feels so clunky and non-responsive. As someone who has played wow on and off for the past 6-7 years, it's the first thing i noticed and one of the main reasons I don't expect to be playing for too long.

Obbu
12.19.2011 , 11:35 PM | #18
The current "clunkiness of the engine" is lag related - and was not a problem during beta.

MorbidAri
12.19.2011 , 11:52 PM | #19
Having played WoW since vanilla. YES the gcds are 1.5 secs. Haste changes this to 1 second. As has been mentioned WoW is more responsive. Keep in mind this game is going live to the public tonight. And for a launch, not half bad.

WoW started like all things start. Where they end up is different, or they get left behind. EA won't let this cash cow fall behind. I'm very sure they will fix the responsiveness.

I happen to like the 1.5 gcd and no auto-attack. I could see how others would hate it. This is the price of trying something different. We all get our old man clothes on and sit in the rocking chair with our shot guns and talk about how much we hate change.

eroscastaldi
12.20.2011 , 09:36 AM | #20
well, im in love with this game so far, but onestly the GCD on autoattack is an EPIC MASSIVE FAIL..and could lead to several fingers injuries.........fix this already xD
(████████████████℈▓╪╪╪╪╪╪⋟␣⋞▓|{ị████████████████)