Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cross-faction guilds? Yay/nay?

chimunga
07.27.2012 , 04:33 AM | #1
I doubt this will ever be implemented, but in a game that so heavily rewards (and almost enforces) playing alts, I'm surprised there isn't some kind of cross faction guild system, or some way to link cross-faction guilds. All it would require is a simple cross-faction guild chat. That would be the only perk needed. It wouldn't change the way people group, the way they run together, or even guild banks (I think a separate one for each side would be fine). All it would change is the chat system.

I say this because I am an alt-leveler. I get bored easily with the repetitiveness of endgame. I started out Rep, but I found that I like Imperial story lines far more. And I think many people would be more willing to level cross faction alts if they could socialize with their guild while they do it.

Is there a downside to this that I'm missing?

Emeda
07.27.2012 , 04:52 AM | #2
This is such a bad idea for a story driven MMO that they will probable do it.
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?

Knorlac
07.27.2012 , 05:03 AM | #3
And why exactly would this idea be so bad?
The main reason why I'm not playing any of my rep toons anymore is because I can't chat with my guildies while doing so. It's not like the OP proposed that imps and reps should be able to quest together.

chimunga
07.27.2012 , 05:28 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
This is such a bad idea for a story driven MMO that they will probable do it.
Why would it be bad? It would be absolutely nothing other than adding the ability to chat with your guild regardless of the faction. I understand how it would affect RP guilds, but they can always choose not to be cross-faction. You might even be able to expand on your RP experience, like trying to turn and recruit Sith for the Jedi.

Give me a solid reason why it would be bad. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd just like to have a reason why you don't like the idea.

mothear
07.27.2012 , 05:33 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by chimunga View Post
Give me a solid reason why it would be bad. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd just like to have a reason why you don't like the idea.
WZ exploiting where you can tell your mates in guild chat what the other side is doing.

chimunga
07.27.2012 , 05:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
WZ exploiting where you can tell your mates in guild chat what the other side is doing.
Valid argument.

Shai-Huluud
07.27.2012 , 05:38 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
well at the moment the "workaround" for this is to stay in guild voice chat which is far from perfect but does achieve the same end.

this would also allow the "WZ exploit" so I'm not convinced that is a good reason to not do cross faction guild chat.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Goretzu
07.27.2012 , 05:38 AM | #8
I was utterly against it intially.

However since legacy I think it's probably the best idea for the game.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

chimunga
07.27.2012 , 05:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Shai-Huluud View Post
well at the moment the "workaround" for this is to stay in guild voice chat which is far from perfect but does achieve the same end.

this would also allow the "WZ exploit" so I'm not convinced that is a good reason to not do cross faction guild chat.
You could also work around this by disabling the chat while in a WZ.

Emeda
07.27.2012 , 06:10 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Knorlac View Post
And why exactly would this idea be so bad?
The main reason why I'm not playing any of my rep toons anymore is because I can't chat with my guildies while doing so. It's not like the OP proposed that imps and reps should be able to quest together.
The reason it would be a bad idea is because this is a story driven MMO and the republic and Empire are at war. How good of a story would it be if you were fighting a war with your friends against your friends?

I guess they could have the trailer for crossfactions guilds being a jedi and sith fighting a battle then stoping the fight for a lunch breach and having a few beers together at the local cantina.
If this game is so great then why do so many people that love the game spend all their time in the forums?