Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Terror From Beyond Speculation

Xiij
07.27.2012 , 08:43 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Shahryar_ View Post
With regard to Terror, my primary hope is for a longer form raid. I'd like to see an at least 8, but ideally 12, boss format. This is preferable in so many ways - perhaps the main one being the sheer epic feel of longer raids - 4 boss raids feel much more like flashpoints.
The only problem I have with this is for smaller guilds who Op (like the one I'm in, we are just now forming our second Ops team since). Increasing the size of the op could make it harder for people to experience the content. Also, if they are going to increase the size I'd imagine that they would stick with their current format (ops are 8-man or 16-man).

The-Vortex
07.27.2012 , 09:27 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiij View Post
The only problem I have with this is for smaller guilds who Op (like the one I'm in, we are just now forming our second Ops team since). Increasing the size of the op could make it harder for people to experience the content. Also, if they are going to increase the size I'd imagine that they would stick with their current format (ops are 8-man or 16-man).
What he means is that they should really add more bosses to the next operation, not change group sizes. I don't see how adding more bosses would prevent people from seeing the content. Unless I just misunderstood your post, in which case ignore everything I just said.
End of Days - Republic - The Progenitor
Varias - 50 Gunslinger
Saris - 50 Jedi Guardian

pure_laced
07.27.2012 , 10:55 AM | #23
Adding more bosses is necessary to keep current subs active, and hopefully gain a few back that already unsubbed. 4 bosses that are dead within the night of release, coupled with the free commendations that BW likes to hand out like candy killed this game for PvE oriented guilds. There is no "carrot at the end of the stick" because people are fully geared in 3 weeks time. WoW had it right every tier.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

Xiij
07.27.2012 , 11:45 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by The-Vortex View Post
What he means is that they should really add more bosses to the next operation, not change group sizes. I don't see how adding more bosses would prevent people from seeing the content. Unless I just misunderstood your post, in which case ignore everything I just said.
No, you're correct. I reread the part that I quoted after you said something. Maybe I was reading too many articles at once or maybe I was dozing; either way I was thinking he said he wanted groups of more than 8. After rereading I agree with what he said. Ops should be longer... Like I had mentioned earlier, my guild just started an Op2 (several "fresh" 50's) and we downed EV HM the first night, In a little over an hour and a half.

Quote: Originally Posted by pure_laced View Post
Adding more bosses is necessary to keep current subs active, and hopefully gain a few back that already unsubbed. 4 bosses that are dead within the night of release, coupled with the free commendations that BW likes to hand out like candy killed this game for PvE oriented guilds. There is no "carrot at the end of the stick" because people are fully geared in 3 weeks time. WoW had it right every tier.
Agreed. I will admit it is nice to be able to get geared relatively quickly, but at the same time, it almost defeats the purpose of doing Ops at the same time.

To wrap this all up, I think they could let people "have their cake and eat it too" with a group of bosses which don't have to be completed to finish the Op (I didn't want to call them bonus bosses because those are always like: "Go press this; go kill this; stand on one foot hopping back wards up a flight of stairs saying the alphabet backwards while drinking a glass of water from the wrong side of the glass"). They could maybe drop the same gear as the mandatory boss that they are near does or they could drop different gear (I mean like cross-grade gear [CP "=" BH]).

DSafana
07.27.2012 , 11:58 AM | #25
I would like a puzzle where there is a sword in a box, and when you hit the box with your saber......just kidding.

An encounter where teams of stunlocking Operatives would spawn from stealth and kill all the healer classes. Then the boss would laugh and then call in a healer to heal himself while the raid attempts to kill him without healers. If someone ninja rezzes a healer, the stunlocking operatives would reappear and kill the healer and whoever rezzed them.
Basically a winless fight so everyone would stop complaining that "They already did the content and they are bored"

Xiij
07.27.2012 , 12:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DSafana View Post
I would like a puzzle where there is a sword in a box, and when you hit the box with your saber......just kidding.

An encounter where teams of stunlocking Operatives would spawn from stealth and kill all the healer classes. Then the boss would laugh and then call in a healer to heal himself while the raid attempts to kill him without healers. If someone ninja rezzes a healer, the stunlocking operatives would reappear and kill the healer and whoever rezzed them.
Basically a winless fight so everyone would stop complaining that "They already did the content and they are bored"
Unfortunately I think you are right, no matter how creative or challenging the content is, everyone will complain about how "easy" and "over done" the content is. At the same time if you make it impossible (literally, like you suggested) then people would complain that the content is too hard and they are just coming up with stupid content to waste our time.

On a more positive note, a dynamic boss would be fun. I don't really know exactly how you would do this, but have the fight be different every time you fight the boss... Maybe have the RNG pick a few stats within a range (HP, damage, armor, etc.) as well as pick a few mechanics at random.

Wugan
07.27.2012 , 12:28 PM | #27
There is a lot of room between "current hard mode EC" and "completely impossible" for the developers to create a meaningful challenge for motivated guilds in Nightmare modes.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

Xiij
07.27.2012 , 12:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Wugan View Post
There is a lot of room between "current hard mode EC" and "completely impossible" for the developers to create a meaningful challenge for motivated guilds in Nightmare modes.
Agreed. If it sounded like I meant otherwise then it was unintended. Another question that comes to mind after your statement is, "Would it be acceptable to add another tier 2 operation?". Some people are just looking for a new challenge, it might work out well to have a second tier 2 op for those people. Some people are looking for something more challenging than HM EC, they might be expecting a "tier 3" op at that point, which would reward them with gear better than CP gear. That being said, where does TFB fit? Will it be like KP is to EV, for EC? Or will it be like EC is to EV, for EC?

Shahryar_
07.27.2012 , 07:38 PM | #29
Unfortunately I think you are right, no matter how creative or challenging the content is, everyone will complain about how "easy" and "over done" the content is. At the same time if you make it impossible (literally, like you suggested) then people would complain that the content is too hard and they are just coming up with stupid content to waste our time.

On a more positive note, a dynamic boss would be fun. I don't really know exactly how you would do this, but have the fight be different every time you fight the boss... Maybe have the RNG pick a few stats within a range (HP, damage, armor, etc.) as well as pick a few mechanics at random.
This is demonstrably nonsense, because there have been a wealth of encounters which have been successful and widely loved for their ingenuity and tuning. To say that anyone who criticizes the tuning and mechanics of existing encounters is impossible to please is just not helpful.

If you're happy with the standard and quantity of available content, good for you; there are plenty of us who see value in speculating about future improvements, and how best they might be achieved.
Archetype

The Red Eclipse

epicfear
07.28.2012 , 02:33 PM | #30
How about: A sith that can force choke 8 people at once, who constantly summons adds with those channeled laser attacks and aoe knockdowns?

Or, a group boss that varies based on the composition of your group? say, a jedi consular for every sith inquisitor in your group, and so on with the rest of the classes?
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU