Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Maybe free to play is a good thing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maybe free to play is a good thing

nysis's Avatar


nysis
07.26.2012 , 07:07 AM | #1
Personally $15 bucks a month is starting to feel like alot of money for a game which implements changes so slowly.
I was thinking maybe $15 for two months would be more reasonable.

Far more likely though is the prospect of free to play. I like to think those who already spent their $60+subs will get full access and those who never paid would have to buy unlocks. I feel as customers who already bought the game we would save money. Bioware would also benefit, gaining more money from the free to play system.

The only negative is that the games development would probably take a nose dive, but things are happening so slowly, it feels like it already has.

Thoughts?

PainOfDemise's Avatar


PainOfDemise
07.26.2012 , 07:09 AM | #2
This game is actually bringing on changes quite quickly compared to a lot of other MMO's. So that leads me to, what other MMO's have you played besides this one?
The Tarvock Legacy

Xiahoufig's Avatar


Xiahoufig
07.26.2012 , 07:11 AM | #3
Free to Play works, if it's done correctly. There are several people out there who will attest to LOTRO's model or GW1 or GW2's model as successful F2P models. Free to Play, personally, only becomes a problem when you can buy in-game advantages over those who choose not to, colliquially known as Pay 2 Win. I personally, like a mix of the two models. You can continue to pay a regular subscription and you get everything normally (content updates etc.) or you can go completely free and just pay to unlock the things you want. The negative stigma attached to F2P generally falls back to the games that follow the Pay 2 Win model. (Though some people believe a game that starts P2P and then going F2P is a sign of failure. I guess Everquest and Everquest II are failures according to that logic.)
The Valakut Legacy- The Shadowlands
Hessero 55 Operative (Concealment now and forever)
Ma'ssar'tau 35 Gunslinger (Boom baby)

lorelthesecond's Avatar


lorelthesecond
07.26.2012 , 07:12 AM | #4
I will have nothing to do with the game if it go's free to play.

I will take my money elsewhere.

LaVolpex's Avatar


LaVolpex
07.26.2012 , 07:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by nysis View Post
Personally $15 bucks a month is starting to feel like alot of money for a game which implements changes so slowly.
I was thinking maybe $15 for two months would be more reasonable.

Far more likely though is the prospect of free to play. I like to think those who already spent their $60+subs will get full access and those who never paid would have to buy unlocks. I feel as customers who already bought the game we would save money. Bioware would also benefit, gaining more money from the free to play system.

The only negative is that the games development would probably take a nose dive, but things are happening so slowly, it feels like it already has.

Thoughts?

" 15$ bucks feels like too much" ....really?? REALLY?!?! 50 FRIGGIN CENTS A DAY IS TOO MUCH?!?!?! give me a friggin break.........

if you wanna advocate F2p fine, but dont come here acting like 50 cents a day entitles you to monthly content releases like this was zynga poker or something like that....geez....50 cents a day....remember arcades? no even back then you could play 6 hours in one day with just two quarters so stop bishing about something that for practical purposes is non existent (daily cost)

Valkirus's Avatar


Valkirus
07.26.2012 , 07:21 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LaVolpex View Post
" 15$ bucks feels like too much" ....really?? REALLY?!?! 50 FRIGGIN CENTS A DAY IS TOO MUCH?!?!?! give me a friggin break.........

if you wanna advocate F2p fine, but dont come here acting like 50 cents a day entitles you to monthly content releases like this was zynga poker or something like that....geez....50 cents a day....remember arcades? no even back then you could play 6 hours in one day with just two quarters so stop bishing about something that for practical purposes is non existent (daily cost)
You would'nt think a straw can break a camel's back ether.
Trust is something which is earned.

Screaming_Ziva's Avatar


Screaming_Ziva
07.26.2012 , 07:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiahoufig View Post
Free to Play works, if it's done correctly. There are several people out there who will attest to LOTRO's model or GW1 or GW2's model as successful F2P models.
Considering GW2 is not out yet, how exactly can you call that a successful F2P model?

Valkirus's Avatar


Valkirus
07.26.2012 , 07:24 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
Considering GW2 is not out yet, how exactly can you call that a successful F2P model?
Same model GW has and it "has" been successful. ArenaNet made enough profits off it to make GW2 and felt the model was still healthy to continue with it with GW2.
Trust is something which is earned.

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
07.26.2012 , 07:25 AM | #9
If you trust EA to give you a F2P model and not P2W or anything else NOT F2P.. then, perhaps, you deserve it.

I`m sure you`ll be the first coming and complaining that 20 bucks for +50% XP boost is too much and unfair to the "freemiums".. but it will be a bit too late.

Xiahoufig's Avatar


Xiahoufig
07.26.2012 , 07:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
Considering GW2 is not out yet, how exactly can you call that a successful F2P model?
Since GW1 is out and GW2 is its sequel and made by the same company, it's a logical conclusion to draw. If the model they use is drastically different from its predecessor then I'll recant my statement.

Valk-Thank you. You beat me to it.
The Valakut Legacy- The Shadowlands
Hessero 55 Operative (Concealment now and forever)
Ma'ssar'tau 35 Gunslinger (Boom baby)