Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open World PvP: better on PvE or PvP server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Open World PvP: better on PvE or PvP server?

Wohast
12.13.2011 , 11:58 AM | #1
With SWTOR having zones like Outlaw's Den and Illum, I am wondering which server type will bring more END GAME PVP ACTION

PvP Server: people PvP'ing everywhere, on every planet...as a result takes away the population from Illum/OD.

PvE Server: PvP only in these two areas...as a result lots of people, easier to find fights.

With the size of Illum, more people is definitely a good thing.

One question I do have that changes things completely is:

On PvP servers do open world kills on regular planets give you commendations? Or do you only get these from Illum/OD/Wz type zones?

Quote: Originally Posted by Wohast View Post
Warzone's already take a HUGE chunk of players on PvP and PvE servers...why? because it is the FASTEST way and all you do is sit in ur city and mindlessly queue over and over to grind out your PvP gear.

Based on the chunk of people that WZ's takes, the main question i ask myself is "Do you really want whats left of PvP'ers to be spread out throughout the entire galaxy like on a PvP server...or would you rather have them all in either ILLUM or OD?"

My other concern is that on a PvP server, the END GAME action is gonna be spread out so much, that its going to take LOTS of "looking around" to find fights. PvE server it will all be concentrated, so you only have 1-2 places to go look, and you know thats where all the action is.

Tumnum
12.13.2011 , 12:01 PM | #2
You will almost always find a more competitive and PvP dedicated population on a PvP server. Sure there will be some action on PvE servers, but not nearly as much.

wintersnight
12.13.2011 , 12:16 PM | #3
check out - http://www.swtorholocron.com/forums/...-rr-vs-ir.html

We are all going to Prophecy of the Five.

Very experienced in building World PvP battles and we have all (+100 people) committed to joining this server.

Whatever server you choose, die well!
Never Bring a Glow-Stick to a Blaster Fight

Winters

salamanderx
12.13.2011 , 12:42 PM | #4
I'm going with the PvE server, more concentrated and focused pvp action.

To me the PvE areas should be just that, PVE, but I respect the difference of opinion.
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU

Foamslinger
12.13.2011 , 01:54 PM | #5
In my beta experience, unless you spend a lot of time trying you are not going to get open world pvp outside of the pvp areas on either server ruleset.
jumpshot - nubicide legacy
<shoots first irl>
videos: How to Huttball: Juggernaut Ilum Mass PvP

Wohast
12.13.2011 , 03:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Foamslinger View Post
In my beta experience, unless you spend a lot of time trying you are not going to get open world pvp outside of the pvp areas on either server ruleset.
in my beta time, tons of high levels just camped lowbie planets looking to gank.

now i could care less about lowbie killing/camping etc...however, with many high levels doing this on many different planets...THAT cuts into the people I run in to in OD/Illum.

now obv this is only a problem on PvP server, and its pretty much my only reason for not wanting to roll on PvP.

I want Illum/OD to always have some action, esp on non peak times...I dont need people PvPing all over the galaxy...I want them in 1-2 zones.

also can anyone answer this, because if regular open world kills are pointless on PvP servers, itll definitely lead more people to stick with Illum/OD and I wont have to worry as much about these 2 zones being underpopulated
Quote:
On PvP servers do open world kills on regular planets give you commendations? Or do you only get these from Illum/OD/Wz type zones?

PJunkie
12.13.2011 , 11:02 PM | #7
In all my MMOs i've played, I've found better PVP on PVE servers

Latorn
12.14.2011 , 12:52 AM | #8
I'm interested in an answer for this as well. I've yet to decide whether I'm going PvE or PvP.

Does anyone have the answers to the OP's questions?

Murjan
12.14.2011 , 01:05 AM | #9
This might be a stupid question but are you able to loot other players stuff?

Latorn
12.14.2011 , 01:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Murjan View Post
This might be a stupid question but are you able to loot other players stuff?
No XD you're not going to lose your stuff if you die.