Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP: Fundamentals

Ragetacular
10.17.2012 , 07:15 PM | #21
bump before this goes f2p.....
new people: learning is ok, we've all had to do it...but please listen to people in game who know what theyre talking about.....communication is how pvp is won.

L-RANDLE
11.15.2012 , 03:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ragetacular View Post
bump before this goes f2p.....
new people: learning is ok, we've all had to do it...but please listen to people in game who know what theyre talking about.....communication is how pvp is won.
BUMP for peets sake...bump...
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Banderal
11.16.2012 , 05:21 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BiggDirty View Post
Your advice on playing defense in huttball is way off.

The key to defense in huttball has nothing to do with killing or attacking the enemy ball carrier. The most important thing by far is to be aware of the location of his TEAMATES, and make sure that NONE of them are in position for a pass, pull, intercede, etc...
Oh, so *that's* what all my teammates were doing when I spent 30 seconds stunning, knocking back, attacking, rooting, and generally trying to stop that guy from coming down the ramp and scoring, and no one else from my team showed up to help! (That's a joke, and all this advice is really good, but sometimes it just feels like I'm the only one who's actually paying attention to where the ball is.)

I really have nothing to add, except I wish this post had been available when I started PvP, so I'll bump it again.

MusicRider
11.16.2012 , 09:28 AM | #24
To the OP, good introductory tutorial of pvp. Probably a sticky would be nice. Also add somewhere that recruit gear is not an option but mandatory. And one last general tip, check your map to see what's going on and where your teamates are. For the rest, yes there are always exceptions but for a new pvp player is better to grasp the basics than start with the exceptions.

Wainamoinen
11.16.2012 , 09:37 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
...For the rest, yes there are always exceptions but for a new pvp player is better to grasp the basics than start with the exceptions.
Completely agree. A basic primer won't cover all events - and it shouldn't try, because it'll get confusing and too lengthy. You just have to accept it's going to be wrong in some circumstances. If it can help people grasp the essentials so that they can start functioning effectively quicker, it's done its job, and they can pick up and work out for themselves the occasions where it doesn't apply later on.

I can be wordy in my posts, but I reckon you could still strip the OP down a bit yet. Keep it focused. Too many clauses and caveats lose the central message.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Daxy
11.16.2012 , 10:21 AM | #26
also:

abuse the "m" key-- aka the warzone map

seeing where your team is and isn't on the map is a huge factor in determining where to go- where to help, where to ninja, where to do anything- if you open your map and see 6 of your teammates at a node- dont go there- go to the other node that has been abandoned or has one lonely defender

backcapping the zerg
-- dont meet a zerg head on with your own zerg - especially if yours is unorganized; leave one or two sacrificial lambs to further bait a zerg but send others to cap at the location the zerg just came from
--"all we need is some teeny tiny pewpew"- most objectives in the wz's (except hutball) require some form of capping and all that is required to interrupt a cap is the teeniest amount of damage - stop red misting on the 5v1 fight and focus your attention on the stealthy who snuck by to ninja cap- throw a saber, shoot a spark of lightening, throw a rock, pewpew a normal ranged attack- all these will stop a cap- if you are about to die near a node- throw a dot on your killer to keep him from capping, etc...

Smashbrother
11.16.2012 , 01:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
You ever played on an 8 man rated team where you can get 4 good DPS on a single target? No healer(s) can keep him up, unless there is also a guard and an AoE taunt to help.

But again, it depends on respective team coordination levels. If you can only get one or two people on the same page, stunning a healer first can work great.
Any good team will have a tank that will always swap guard and taunt. You can't simply have all your dps FF one of their dps while ignoring the healers. You have to either CC healers or have one dps stick on them to interrupt.

UGLYMRJ
11.16.2012 , 01:43 PM | #28
A great guide to a fresh player coming into PvP... definitely covers the basics.

I think what bothers me is that 40% of the players in 50 PvP and about 80% of the players in sub 50 PvP before 1.5 could learn something from this....

Smashbrother
11.16.2012 , 02:00 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
A great guide to a fresh player coming into PvP... definitely covers the basics.

I think what bothers me is that 40% of the players in 50 PvP and about 80% of the players in sub 50 PvP before 1.5 could learn something from this....
I'd go with 80% and 95% lol.

UGLYMRJ
11.16.2012 , 02:03 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
I'd go with 80% and 95% lol.
LOL... sad but true....