Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RP Name Assistance (Sith)

LegarinAntharsus
12.19.2011 , 03:43 AM | #1
Hi there,

I'm struggling with names here as I really prefer to adhere to the lore as carefully as I can. I'd like to create a Sith Warrior with the name 'Malevolus' and I wanted to get the opinion of the "hive mind" so to speak.

I thought it sounded appropriately Sith but I'd love to know what you all think. I know that Sith names are typically Latin sounding in nature but I wasn't sure about this one because it's essentially the word malevolous minus the second o.

Anyway, thanks for the consideration.

BizWax
12.19.2011 , 05:58 AM | #2
Darth Maul is a prime example of sith naming weirdness. A Maul is a medieval sledgehammer, so his name is a (common?) english word.

On the other hand it seems that changing you name upon becoming a sith isn't common in the SWTOR era...

Chessack
12.19.2011 , 06:07 AM | #3
This is a hard one, because Sith names are not consistent across the lore. In the movies, some Sith Lords have names that share roots with, or are, common words for shall we say "mean" things. Darth Maul (a weapon, mentioned above), Darth Sidious (from the word "insidious"), Darth Tyrannus (from the word "Tyrant"), Darth Plageious (I assume from "plague"). On the other hand you have Darth Vader, whose name means "dark father" in Dutch or German or something, where the word "Vader" has no English meaning. In the movies, the Darth names are all completely made up, aliases if you will, of other people. So the real name of Darth Tyrannus is "Count Dooku," and of Darth Vader is "Anakin Skywalker." If you follow this line of Sith naming, then your character's name at level 1 starting out would not be his Darth name, but would be something more "normal" or usual, like "Han" or "Luke." You'd become "Darth Something" later.

On the other hand, in some of the other lore, such as the KOTOR game, Darth seems to be a title added to the existing name of some folks. For example, Darth Revan's original name was Revan... before falling he/she was called "Jedi Revan." The same is true of Darth Malak (original name was just Malak). It is unclear from the game whether Revan was the given name, the surname, or whether Revan had only ONE name (like Chewbacca). Same for Malak. I would guess the Revan novel and other sources clear this up, but in-game, no information on that is given.

So it seems like you have 3 choices. You could take a "regular" name and then your Darth name would be something you "change" your name to later. This would only be in RP, as I am sure the game will not let you change names. You could give yourself a "first name", and take Darth First-name as your name. Or you could give yourself a "last name" and take Darth Surname as your title. It will depend on what you want to do.

I guess that's not really much of an answer... but I have not made up a Sith Lord yet so I am not sure what I will do about this. Probably Darth Surname, just to make it work within the game interface.
Back in the game after playing a long time ago, in a year far, far away...

Rossx
12.19.2011 , 06:09 AM | #4
Simple. First two or three letters of your real name, then first two or three letters from the town you live in. Easy sith name.
//////[=/=]█{██████████████████████████████████
Became SWTOR Beta Tester 8/19/11 . CE 7/21 4:15am

smexymage
12.19.2011 , 06:21 AM | #5
Im not 100% on how the names were used in SW Lore but I think, and I must stress THINK that the Sith names were changed from the persons real name when the rule of two was issued. I think before that when the Sith were less secret they used their real names, but now they don't because they are quite covert in the planning.

I names my Marauder Nihilos which deviated from the names I was looking at but I got it from Annihilate, it just popped into my head reading that name over and over. Because I am a Marauder I figured id be a bit of a butcher, I would Maul, Destroy, Bludgeon, Annihilate my enemies so I put these words into a Thesaurus and had a look at all the words which were related and took the ones I liked the sound and feel of most and the translated them from English into Latin and other words and picked words I liked the sound of and then fiddled about until I came up with something a little different to the original word.

So Nihilos is in relation to Annihilate which also shares meanings with Maul, Destroy etc etc. Although looking at the name you would think Nihilus from KOTOR 2 meaning nihilism, but its not. just a happy co-incidence but I really like the name.
. Never Forget

LegarinAntharsus
12.19.2011 , 04:45 PM | #6
Thanks for the input, folks.

I was planning on just having my name be my "given" Sith Lord name so that when I eventually obtain the title of Darth, it will read as Darth Malevolus, or whatever I end up choosing.

That aside, what's the consensus on my chosen name? Good? Bad? Cheesy?

Thanks very much.

FlashbackJon
12.19.2011 , 04:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LegarinAntharsus View Post
That aside, what's the consensus on my chosen name? Good? Bad? Cheesy?
It's a little cheesy, but as such, is very Star Warsy.

I approve.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

Dreggzender
12.19.2011 , 04:53 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BizWax View Post
Darth Maul is a prime example of sith naming weirdness. A Maul is a medieval sledgehammer, so his name is a (common?) english word.

On the other hand it seems that changing you name upon becoming a sith isn't common in the SWTOR era...
I always assumed it was reference to the verb. Because he's basically Palpatine's chained attack dog.
(███████████████████}|█[Ξ()SNARK[]Ξ█|{████████████████████)

QuinMantha
12.19.2011 , 04:59 PM | #9
Indeed it is.

I typically take my Sith names from a Latin word root, and either tweak it until it sounds Star Wars, or use it as it is.

For example. My Sith Warrior is a Sith Pureblood named 'Sceleris', which I didn't have to tweak, the word meaning 'crime, sin, wickedness or evil'. My Sith Assassin is named 'Sicarius', meaning 'dagger-man' (extra points to you if you get the historical reference).

There's a lot of obscure Latin words out there just waiting to be translated into Star Wars. And since English borrows quite a bit from Latin, people can recognize the words on an elemental level even if they don't really know what they mean.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

LegarinAntharsus
12.21.2011 , 08:25 PM | #10
Another name (which I used before WoW) I'm considering is Sevren/Sevrus. What do guys think of those?